“Cool Older Place! Good Stay, We Will Stay Again.” 4 of 5 stars

Matanzas Inn
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   414 Crescent St, Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931   |
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Stowe,PA USA
“Cool Older Place! Good Stay, We Will Stay Again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Matanzas Inn April 9-11 then drove over to Ft. Lauderdale for a couple days and a wedding. I liked Ft Myers area way better than Ft Lauderdale. This is a great location on the water and to walk to beach,shops and a short drive to many other things. We are in our early 50's and like the small older style 1-3 story hotels/motels like this one. Management told us that the whole place was goin' to be refurbished later this year. Everything was good but upgrading bathrooms and beds would be a plus. Our daughter and son in law joined us for dinner and drinks wednesday night at the downstairs restaurant outside by the water. It was good and our server Dawn was fantastic with a great sence of humor and did a great job. I agree with mkelly1959 's review very much also.

Room Tip: Get one on the water side if possible. Great to sit out at night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I have been going here for 5 years now and have never experienced anything like this before im my life! I have owned restaurants and I just don't get it!? Down stairs the service is amazing! If you decide to go upstairs watch out! The bartender is slow but looks like she is busy I watched her say she doesn't give a crap about this place and I cleaned it up to put it on here!? She was rude and didn't care about her customers at all!!! At the end of my night here she was ok at best when it slowed down and said her name was geazla?? Not sure how to spell it she couldn't wait to get out of work and they deff need 2 bartenders on if she is behind the bar! If I owned this place she wouldn't be working for me! Food was great service downstairs was great I wish I could say the same about upstairs! Stay away if she is working!!

• Stayed March 2013
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed there last week....they were full and turning people away. Yes, it is an older place....old fixtures, old bathrooms, old pool, etc....but VERY clean. It served our purposes quite well. The restaurants are great...very quiet....the bay was great as our room opened in front of it....nice to sit outside with a coffee or beer and watch the boats coming in for dinner or lunch.

Patty at the front desk was very nice to deal with...and a great sense of humor. The people staying there, older than us, were very friendly and loved to strike up a conversation. We have been going to fort Myers Beach for 28 years now and this may have been the best place yet....4 days of sun and 79 degrees certainly helped.

The UPPER DECK restaurant/bar is a great place to go and the bartenders are all great.
I urge you to try this place...or at least check it out for the next year.

Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is our 3rd trip to Fort Myers Beach. It's the first time at this hotel. We had stayed at the Lighthouse twice before but it was too loud with drunk yelling people at 3 am and the room we had the last time was terrible. The Matanzas Inn has an amazing location right on the water opposite side of the island (not on the beach) The beach and Times Square is just a small walk away. What a beautiful location! Very safe. The music at the bar would shut down at around 9pm so there was no problem getting a nice quiet nights sleep. We stayed in the large villa. I would call it a one bedroom condo instead. It had no villa feel to it. It was not attractive but it was very clean and the housekeepers did a nice job keeping it that way for the 10 days we were there. I would say it was a 2 star. The flooring in the bathroom was cigarette burned and curling although the room did not smell of smoke. It was supposedly smoke free. The best thing about the large villa is that you can close the bedroom door and watch tv or read without disturbing anyone in the bedroom. There was an extra single bed between the bedroom and the kitchen/living area. Much more room than the 2 of us needed. There is a beach trolley that goes by the hotel all the time to the main land. I feel I paid too much but then if you had a small family, it would be ideal and a cheap solution since the kitchen is well equiped. The hotel staff are exceptional on every level. The restaurant has the best clam chowder we ever ate and we are people from the Maritimes so we know good chowder when we eat it. The pool is small but adequate. There's also a hot tub. I would go back but I would take the small villa which I saw (it's a small studio).

Room Tip: If you want lots of room with a door to the bedroom, choose the large Villa. Otherwise the small vil...
Rock Hall, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This was the only lodging available at the time without having to pay a lot. So I guess it could be " you get what you pay for". The rooms are old and need updating. On the plus side, the pool area was very nice and the water was heated along with a whirlpool. Their restaurant served delicious food and was very scenic being at the intercoastal waterway. The location is great to the beach and all the activities associated with it.

There was a water taxi available. But did not take it.

Room Tip: free computer use at the office.
Westampton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have stayed here on and off for about 12 years. This most recent stay was disappointing. We stayed in a 2 bed room unit that should have been awesome...right on the water. But the blinds were broken and very dirty.There was film on the windows that obscured the view of the canal. The door leaked and when it rained the water came in under the door. I feel bad writing a review that is so negative, but I have to be honest. A great location, nice people, super pool and hot tub...but the rooms need some help. I did mention these items and the condition of the unit when I checked out, hopefully the owners will take some action to make repairs, etc.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Beverly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

What we liked about staying here: could walk to beautiful beach (see the sunset) and other restaurants, nice pool, great water-front restaurant on property. Did not like our motel room... really old and shabby. If you are not spending much time in the room it may be ok. By the way, most shops in the area are pretty touristy unless you leave the neighborhood.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Matanzas Inn? Share your experiences!