“Not the place for me!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Quincy, Illinois, United States
“Not the place for me!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

stayed 2-8-13 for 1 week. Party place for the young. Not the place for me! To many beach rules, to many ppl, noisy from 7am to 4am, staff bicker all the time. Restroom on the main floor for the beach was disgusting!!!! Trouble with room key, Had to get 3 different sets. Pool is in the shade by 2:pm. Within walking distance of beach bars, local restruants, shops, & pier. Only possitive thing I have to say since we would go eles where everyday!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Lani Kai for one night for a little family reunion. The hotel was under renovations and we stayed on the floor that had already been renovated. The bathroom was new, but the beds were filthy. There were cigarette burns in the comforters. I really would have been able to live with this since we had our own covers and, after all, it is the Lani Kai. We all went to the bar for happy hour. The bartender was incredibly rude, but the bar manager was absolutely HORRENDOUS to my family. He rudely demanded documentation for the service dog with my younger sibling, which he had. The manager rolled his eyes and said, "All of those drinks better be from this bar," in a threatening tone. I overheard him tell his coworker that my family was annoying and when we were all singing a song we heard him-- from all the way across the bar-- say "WHY DON'T YOU JUST KILL YOURSELVES?" My parents heard it and everyone was stunned. I was mortified. It was happy hour, there was live music, and we were practically the only people there spending money. I asked him for his name and he said it was "Mike." We will never, ever go to this establishment again. I feel horrible that I had to see my family-- especially my parents-- treated this way.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wautoma, Wisconsin, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at the Lani Kai in December with my 2 kids (5 &9). We all loved staying there. The beach was just a walk downstairs which we all LOVED. At night we were able to listen to the ocean on the balcony. The room was clean and we were put on the "quiet" side of the hotel which was perfect for us as the other side was quite a bit louder. This was an affordable hotel right on the beach. This is NOT an upscale hotel, so if you're looking to get pampered and have an updated room this is probably not a hotel you want to stay at. If you are on a budget and still want to stay on the oceanfront this is perfect. Yes, the rooms were very outdated, but they were clean and actually larger than normal budget hotels. I will be staying here again with my family as we had a great time and it didn't break the bank!

Thank you Lani Kai for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: No fitness center, but you can take a nice jog on the beach since it's just downstairs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aurora, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed 4 days at the Lani Kai end of January. Check In...no problem...as normal check your paper work...or pre-confirm by phone direct...don't trust booking agents.
Property...build in the 70's and still functions ... And the elevators were probably the fastest on the beach at that time and they still work. Yes it's older and little worn, but for the price, clean room (no odors or bugs), good bed, towels and linens. And included refrig, microwave and coffee maker. Our room (503) was on the east end of the building which may help keep the evening music down. But the balcony overlooking the beach on a Saturday with a throng of beach goers, great people watching, and look up and down the beach this was where it was happening...You know it is...when the locals beach party here either by boat, PWC, or car... Live Music...reasonable priced beer or boat drinks on the beach, and barmaid service to your chair...And receive a good discount on beach chairs and umbrellas for staying at the Lani Kai. Food at the roof top restaurant (breakfast & lunch) was as good or better priced as other places nearby. Housekeeping fine job, and be sure to tip the help and smile.... Pool was cold,but they just had the heater repaired. I did like, they had a person checking the people coming in to the pool area making sure they staying at the hotel. The air brushed murals on the hotel are classic beach art... I'm in my early sixties and a traveler to many beach ports in the caribe...I've stayed at more $$ on trips, the Lani Kai would be at the same measure as them. But as they say an island and Location, location,location... Remember do your research...Spring Break Time it may not be a good choice...I give the Lani Kai a FINS UP!

Room Tip: East end 4 or 5th floors
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Most of the bad reviews here are accurate. The beach is the best thing about this place. They have entertainment daily. Chairs to rent, waitresses for drinks and great people watching. The view from restuarant on top of the hotel is awesome. Some of the rooms have been renovated with new bathrooms, beds etc. Those rooms are not too bad - the gulf side rooms have large balconies with amazing views. As far as accomodations, you get what you pay for. I would NOT stay here in March during spring break. In Feb. it was mostly couples, not too many college kids except for the weekend when the locals come. I enjoyed sitting on the beach here each day. I have to say it was not as bad as I expected it to be given all of the reviews on this site...but my expectations were very low. This place is big with the locals - boats anchored off the shore to listen to the music and people watch. THis place is one big party..if you are not looking for that, stay somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mound, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

One of the "managers" Christopher threatened to kick me out when I asked if they could have the room next door turn their music down. Customer service is worse than nonexistent--they only WANT partiers. The atmosphere was fine outside during the day but it's incredibly not worth it to "sleep" here. Unless you're a 20-something partier that wants to tear the place up--then they want you. It's cheap, they have "improved" some rooms--for example we have three different kinds of tiles on the floor in a 1 square foot area. No LARGE bugs so far. You hear about the noise OUTSIDE from the music--that's not the problem--it's the parties going on in the rooms that suck. And if you ask for them to have them have a room quiet down a bit, they'll threaten to kick you out. I'm taking a sleeping pill, putting in my earplugs, and am going to TRY to sleep. This place sucks for anyone over 30--BELIEVE IT. Splurge on the extra $100 somewhere else & you won't need therapy the next day from the "manager" verbally accosting you. I have to say I EXPECTED tacky and that isn't the problem--it's the alcoholics running around the place and the "management's" special style of running off the "good guests".

• Stayed February 2013
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a good location, to bad it is not kept up better. Walked into the room and was overwhelmed by the smell of cigarettes. The toilet is loose and very wobbly, thought it was going to come loose from floor. Our bedroom window looked out over sidewalk with several pieces missing so people can walk by and look in. I guess you get what you pay for. Lesson learned

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Lani Kai Island Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!