“Terrible. Do not stay here.” 2 of 5 stars

Lani Kai Island Resort Hotel
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1400 Estero Blvd, Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931   |
Ranked #42 of 46 hotels in Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“Terrible. Do not stay here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

At first, the place seems great. the room was clean for the most part. The shower was useless. Zero way pressure, no way would I have been able to wash my hair. The noise was unbelievable. The music was banging till three in the morning. We were woken up at the crack of dawn by a million birds on our balcony and what sounded like construction. There was a sizable gap between our door and its frame. I also woke up with several bug bites. Awful stay.

• Stayed February 2012

475 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Let me start by saying that in all my years of travels, I have NEVER seen anything so disgusting in my life. My husband and I have never posted any negative reviews about restaurants, motels, anything. I don't enjoy bashing anyone. We read some of the negative reviews before we checked in. We thought,well it wont be so bad..............Big mistake!!! We should have believed everything that we read. When we arrived at Lani Kai, we could instantly see a building in need of serious renovation! We ask the manager to see our room. He was very nice and took us to a room that was just gross. Old bedding, old t.v. old mini fridge, sliding doors were so heavy and old that I couldn't open them. I refused to use that bed with the dingy looking bedding. The ceilings and walls were patched as well. He told us we could move to another room. Room #2that was a little better. New bedding, new mini fridge and a new t.v. the sliding doors opened so we decided to take that room. Still not great but make the best of it. After unpacking and going to the beach, we return to find that the rooms airconditioner is broken! We have to move again! Next room new bedding and t.v. the bed was horrible!!!! Like cement, the bathroom sink looked like a science project gone bad! Again patched ceilings walls, very old out dated furniture. We tried to laugh and make the best of the situation. When its time to shower, NO WATER!!!! For over 3and hours!!! Meanwhile during all the malfunctions we have discoverd that this is party central! Beach bar with live music, top floor................. of hotel is restaurant and bar with live music. Weekends its unbelievable! About 100the boats in the water, mass amounts of people on the beach. The locals use this as a number one party spot. After our water was turned on we think what else could go wrong:.............i take a shower and now i have no hot water!!!! The pool is shaded and they are supposed to heat it but they don't. We paid almost 800.00 to stay in hotel hell! Please think before you book a room.............................................................

JRoark, knoxville,tennessee

tampa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Unfortunately, even after reading the reviews, we stilled stayed here. We read that this hotel was a little loud but we are used to loud and didn't think it would bother us. This was, by far, the worst establishment we have ever stayed in. We were taking the Key West Ferry from Fort Myers to the Keys and decided to stay here for one night, so we could make the 7:00am boarding call. So, we actually did have a good time, relaxing during the day, walking around early evening. (The one thing that kinda sucked was we went and sat out on the beach chairs that are on this property and after we were all situated and comfortable, a person rides over to us and tells us that we have to pay to use the chairs.) We tried to go to bed about 10:00pm so we could be up early to catch the ferry. Unbeknownst to us, they have a metal band that plays downstairs, in a bar that have more band equipment than a "real" band playing a concert in the stadium. It was so loud, that 4 floors up, our room was shaking and we could feel the base vibrating through our bed. We couldn't even hear the TV, the band was so loud. Finally, about 1am, we called the front desk to try to move rooms, which they did, but the manager on duty was the rudest person we had ever met. Refering to my fiancee as "boss-man" and had the worst attitiude.. from an employee that I have ever seen.

The security at this hotel was the worst, too. Our first room was next door to about 20 frat boys, who were drunk, rude & obnoxious. Even so far as running up and down the hallways and then at about 2am, ALL OF THEM, went skinny dipping in the beach. Very, very loud and the security did nothing.

Finally about 3am, we were finally able to sleep, only to have to get up 3 hours later to catch the ferry. Absolutely the experience I have ever had in a beach front hotel. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

The worst customer service staff I have ever dealt with. I am astonished the establishment is even in business. roaches and ants throughout. Signs are posted admitting they don't clean bed linens or towels unless specifically asked for..? When I asked the "worker", whom I inconvenienced by making him hang up his clearly personal phone call,if I could make a formal complaint to them about how I felt I was told if I didn't like it that I could just leave...and I did just that.

Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Probably one of the worst hotels you can ever set foot in. Giving Lani Kai one star is being generous. The building itself is falling apart. It wouldn't surprise me if the next hurricane took the place down. The drinks are overpriced. The entire property is as dirty as can be. The staff is rude and look like they just rolled out of bed. The entertainment is obnoxious and juvenile at best. Having been an employee of high end hotels for many years, I have to believe that the management and staff do the complete opposite of what it takes to impress their guests. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a great experience at this resort although we almost did not stay here because of reviews. We stayed on the 5th floor right off the main elevator in a room with a king bed, kitchenette and sofa. The decor/furnishings are not the best I have seen but were definitely not gross or falling apart like others have said in their reviews. The bed was comfortable and the room was CLEAN- there wasn't even dust under the bed, which I thought was impressive. We had an amazing view of the ocean and enjoyed the daily entertainment on the beach front. We could hear the music in our room during the day but I found that to be nice and relaxing. The swimming pool is heated and very nice and there is an attendant to make sure that only registered guests use the pool. The beach was beautiful and clean (the staff checked garbage on beach often) and there was plenty of room to put up my beach chair and umbrella on the beach. I thought the variety of food/drink at beach side of the hotel was great. There was also a neat playground for kids and sand volleyball. The food on the sun deck was VERY good. They have great happy hour special on food and drink and we paticuraily enjoyed the seafood and the pizza. The karaoke and bands on the sun deck was fun and ended at 10pm so there was no issue with noise. The best part - I only paid $125 for the room... That was very inexpensive for a room with a king on the beach. In short, we really enjoyed our time here and would return if in the area again.

Media, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We recently purchased a home in Bonita Springs. For New Years we wanted to celebrate at Fort Myers Beach with our kids and friends who came for the holidays. We were told that it is very hard to get in and out on that night so we decided to book a room on Fort Myers Beach. My husband booked the Lani Kai. The pictures in their web page did not look bad and we did know it was no 5 star which we usually stay at but what the heck for one night. I might start by saying I would not even give this a 2 star. We arrived at the resort around 4:00 pm and the parking attendant told us there was no parking spaces to pull over in a certain area and go check in and he will find one. Hello, we are hotel guests and no spaces for us? OK, so my husband runs in and we pull over to the area where he says. The next thing I know he is at the window of the car saying "Hey you can't park here it is for the Manager" Hello, you just pointed to the spot and said to park there just to check in and you would find a spot. So, I pull the car out just as my husband comes out. We unload the car and my husband and so go to find the attendant to see where to park. They said he was very rude about the whole thing and finally found them a spot across the street from the (well I am not sure what to call it) the motel? It certainly isn't a resort in my standards. We load up and wait forever for elevators because crowds just keep coming off the beach in sandy bathing suits and feet and piling on these elevators to get to the rooftop bar. OK, so now we got one...we travel up to the 1st floor land in a lobby, turn left down dingy hallways and out a door again to the outside like a motel and find our door. We go inside and I wanted to DIE in this so called resort. The bathroom was like a closet and it had a drop ceiling with tiles that were black. We found a sock from whoever was in it before us...I just wanted to turn around and leave...I then rememberd I was doing this for the kids to have fun that night and see the fireworks. The band below us on the beach was to play until 2:00 am and it was so loud in the room. The first thing I did was pull all the covers off the beds and throw them in a corner. I was so sick. I went and asked them for new blankets so I knew they would be cleaner then what was on that bed. Thank the Lord we all showered before arriving and just needed to spruce up and change into our clothes for the New Year! Well, we all brought nice clothes and the rest of the crowed in this PLACE just stayed in T-shirts, shorts and flip flops all night...talk about feeling out of place. I then said to the kids...we don't change who we are. We went out to Nervous Nellies for dinner down the street which had good food then came back to the beach area and hung with lots of shady looking people until the fireworks went off. My husband and I went back to the room by 1:00 am and slept ontop of the bed. The kids arrived back around 2:30 am and we all got up at 8:00 am and booked it out of this place. It was the dirtiest spring break place I ever saw. Sorry, but this place has no right calling itself a resort. We ran down the steps in the morning only to encounter the rude attendant once again where he once again made some kind of rude comment to my husband and son and they just let loose on him. They said that they needed to get out of this dump and they needed the car NOW...I guess they disturbed him from sitting and he had to move or something....oh well...as they say...live and learn.,....if you are thinking of going here....just ask yourself...do you like a dirty, spring break atmosphere? If you answer Yes then this place is for you...if not.....stay clear of this place.

Room Tip: my tip is run and don't look back.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TrentSeguin, Director of Sales at Lani Kai Island Resort Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We do realize we are need of some updating and we are in the process of that. We just received our first shipment of new bedding and we are about half way completed in our Bathroom remodels. I have bubbled your review up to the General Manager and he is taking action. I also printed a copy for our Executive Housekeeper to read and to use for educational purposes. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, with your feedback we can pinpoint the issues we need to correct.

Been to Lani Kai Island Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!