“Location, Location, Location...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Fort Myers Beach
seetheworld10
“Location, Location, Location...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Let me start by saying I spent 18 years in the Hotel Industry and my wife is a travel agent. With that being said, we know exactly what to look for. If you are a looking for an upscale resort, stay down the street away from the action and pay twice as much. If you are looking for a spot in the middle of the action, fun and offering great value, stay here. We believe that people that complained about the cleanliness had expectations set too high. For what you pay a night, what you get and where you are, you can't beat it. A few suggestions for food: SOB (Smoking Oyster Bar)- great spot behind the Inn and food was great. Beached Whale- probabally one of the best meals we had (mussels were incredible). Junkaroo - Down the strip ( huge portions, great service and food. Nice deck on the beach. Castaways ( the other end of Estero) excellent food and service. Watch out for the lobster machine, its addicting. Bubble Room (Captiva) very over rated and a complete disappointment. If you want to check it out, go for dessert only. We did try the Yucatan Grill, only for an appetizer. The atmosphere was great, the place was packed. The food and service was mediocre at best. Almost forgot, the Tiki Bar at the Inn was great. Inexpensive, true "Tiki Bar" setting. Great local hangout. Overall, if you are looking to have fun and not sit around and be pampered, this is the place to be.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

My stay at the Lighthouse Inn was booked directly through the hotel's website, as I was attending a wedding on Fort Myer's Beach and needed a place to spend the night. The rate I paid for a one night stay was around $140, and it was a COMPLETE RIP OFF!! I've seen better conditions at a road side motel. Upon arrival, we were not given the room type I had reserved (I requested a king sized bed and we were informed that only a queen sized was available) and the staff seemed to have no concern for the fact that my request had not been honored. The room itself was old and musty, with numerous stains on the carpet, dirty walls, a moldy bathroom doorway and furniture that looked like it was purchased at a flea market. To make matters worse, the toilet did not flush AT ALL! The room conditions were worth nothing more than $50/night maximum, but I was being charged $140! My concerns were voiced to the front desk staff and I encounted some of the WORST customer service imaginable. I was informed that I had 15 minutes to find a new hotel or else I would be charged for the room, regardless of if I decided to stay or not. I was also told that the hotel was completely booked and there was not a single upgrade/change that could be made regarding my accomodations. Instead of sympathy or concern, I was met with sarcasm and rudeness by the woman at the desk--completely unprofessional! When requesting the hotel manager's name, the woman at the desk informed me that he "wouldn't care" and contacting him would be of no good. I honestly could not believe how obnoxious she was. The hotel manager was contacted and responded to my concerns the following Monday (2 days after the stay was already completed). He apologized for our unpleasant experience, but was hesitant to agree that we were treated unfairly. Apparently, the customer is NOT always right as far as this establishment is concerned. The manager, Brian Roessler, offered to send a gift certificate for a complimentary stay at his hotel to make up for our poor experience. Unfortunately, that offer was made over a month ago and no such certificate has arrived. This place is disgusting and the staff is no better! Please, please, please stay away from this establishment! If money continues to be spent here then the management will never get the message that they are doing something wrong! Make this place your absolute last resort--you'd be better off sleeping in your car!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

Absolutly quaint family resort! It was nice to not have to drive even once when we arrivied we were right in the middle of it all!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Bartlett, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

We booked the Lighthouse Resort last minute and we got the last room available as it was spring break. We loved our small romantic room it suited our needs perfectly. The pools were great, although some palm trimming could be done, but no matter I just kept moving with the sun. Met great people and the staff at the tiki bar was awesome, all of them. We will return again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Near DC, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

If you're looking for a nice place to stay close to the beach and cheap this is it... UNLESS you have kids. Unfortunately the owners of the hotel decided that the efficiency units (which are ideal for people traveling with their family) were going to be great placed right on top of the Tiki bar. We stayed in room 624, which has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a small kitchen. WHAT A MISTAKE! Our first night, a Thursday, the DJ was actually playing some nice stuff, so we were able to put up with it for a little bit. Thankfully my toddler was too tired to notice. The second night, a Friday, they had karaoke. It was torture. I had to trade rooms with my parents so the baby could sleep. Needless to say my parents did not enjoy their night. Also, they have GOT to replace their rugs. I think they're too dirty to clean anymore. We ended up with black feet. I would put socks on the baby and to this day I haven't been able to get them clean enough after many washings. Otherwise everything was about the same as in other efficiency hotels next to the beach: I had to wash all the plates and cutlery when I first got there because everything was dirty; the baby-powder like sand could be found in certain spots still (but that's not the hotel's fault... it's impossible to clean). Our TV viewing choices were severely limited, and batteries on the remote for the main TV were almost dead. I think another traveler had said something about that in his review so I was amused when I encountered the same problem. We did not stay the third night we had booked and headed home at the end of Saturday, to avoid another Tiki-bar serenade. And parking IS horrible. We couldn't leave in the afternoon for fear we wouldn't find a spot on our return. There certainly aren't enough spaces for the guests AND the Tiki Bar patrons. So... would I return? Probably not, and certainly not with my toddler. Was it a horrible experience? Certainly not. If I'd been alone with my husband I think we would have overlooked many of the things that irked me. The pools were very nice, the food at the Tiki Bar was very good, the staff was friendly. If you don't have little kids, then this is a nice choice for the price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

The rooms are not clean, we were afraid to go barefoot because the carpet felt dirty. Our refrigerator had to be pushed back and turned slightly in order to open the door because the door on the cupboard was in the way. The coffee pot didn't fit with the coffee maker, there were just to many things to name. The staff was friendly and did replace the coffee pot when we requested. The patio with table and chairs was wonderful so that we spent most of our time outside of our room. The price was low but you also get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

This was our third stay at the Lighthouse in three years. The location is excellent, and the desk staff is very helpful. Cannot say the same for housekeeping! Every day we had to ask for either enough towels or clean towels, and the maids did a slap-dash job of cleaning. The bathroom of our suite smelled strongly of stale urine, and despite my complaints, nothing helped. Bring your own shampoo, etc., because the toiletries left in the room are in cheap little tear-open envelopes. We like staying here because of the hotel's location, but on this visit, we were very frustrated with the upkeep/amenities of our suite for the price we paid. We are shopping for another hotel for our next stay, but if we had to, we would stay here again. If you go, check out your room thoroughly before you get settled, don't be afraid to speak up about what you need, and then hit the beach!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Lighthouse Resort Inn And Suites? Share your experiences!