“Best red snapper dish I've ever had” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flippers on the Bay

Flippers on the Bay
8771 Estero Blvd., Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931 (Formerly Flipper's)
+1 239-765-1025
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Estero Blvd.
Transit: Fort Myers beach trolley stop located one hundred yards to the west of the restuarant.
Description: Flippers on the Bay is an outdoor dining venue located on the dolphin filled waterfront vistas of Estero Bay. Enjoy the dynamic creations of Chef Juan Cruz while experiencing picturesque sunsets.
Bloomington, Illinois
“Best red snapper dish I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We're winding down our Florida vacation with a couple days in Ft. Myers Beach. My sister (a local) told me there was no good food down in the beach area, so our expectations were low. Looking around on Trip Advisor for seafood, and what was open late (9:15 on Saturday when we were looking) we saw great reviews for Flippers so we decided to give it a try.

We missed the road the first time. The address is on Estero Blvd, which is a lane you turn onto off of Estero Blvd...? Just after you cross the bridge, look for the tall building with Lovers Key Resort on it, or the sign off the road, and follow the lane all the way in.

The place doesn't look any different from any other beach surf-shack with friend coconut shrimp in the area. But when I asked Jono what they were known for, or what his favorites were, everything changed. You could tell that he was passionate about the food they served with the care that he described the dishes - it was amazing.

I ended up with red snapper served over a tomerillo (Spanish cornbread) with a black bean puree. That all had a creamy smoked chipotle sauce drizzled over it, with a bit of creme fresh. it was the best fish dish I have ever had. I begrudgingly let Sean and Kelly taste it, but then I demolished the rest of it. Like Jono said would happen, I wanted another serving, even though I was full.

Sean had some of the largest scallops I have ever seen, which were cooked perfectly and he loved every minute of. I don't think he was a fan of the scalloped potatoes underneath them though.

Kelly has the lobster mac n cheese, It came out with what must have been 2 large lobster-claws worth worth of lobster over a baked mac, and she savored every bite as well.

Service was great, atmosphere was nice with a breeze blowing in off the gulf and the temperature just right for outdoor dining (there is no indoor, so beware 90 degree days and wait for late night!) and we were incredibly happy we found Flippers!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
“Food Equals The View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We've been coming here for the last few years and the quality and service are great in addition to the view of the bay from every table in the restaurant. We've noticed during our visits that it gets local and visitor traffic which I think sends a good message. The management of both the restaurant and the resort are always concerned that you're happy so that you'll return. I'm a major fan of the grouper wrap but none of the selections on the menu have ever disappointed us. Also, they make a mean bloody mary if you're there early in the day for brunch.

• Visited May 2014
Grantham
“A good one to visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I withdrew my first review because I had said that flippers was a bit expensive and it did not have any offerings for children on the menu. After visiting a few other places, Flippers is slightly more expensive but it does offer a much better quality of food and service. So as the location is great - we come by boat but you can come by car - the view is excellent. It is clean and so are the bathrooms (my wife loves that!).

The food is a step up - not fine dinning but good food and not pre-made run of the mill food offered by many places. The staff have always been good and we do go often.

Interestingly after I posted the first review - we went back and they did offer some child options (not on the menu by verbally). Hopefully this will be standard as we seem to be stuck with the little ones for quite a few more years and it would make life easier!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
West Palm Beach, FL
“Our best meal ever on Fort Myers Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We've been renting here for 3 years, twice a year for the past 2. We've tried many restaurants ... some on a marina or the bay, some on the ocean, some with no view at all. We love dining out here and do it more than we eat in. This was our first visit to Flippers on the Bay and it's far from our last. There is absolutely nothing negative to be said about this restaurant.

First, the steel drums ... that alone would have done it for me. Then the view ... amazing views over Estero Bay. Then the open air; let's face it, when you're near the water there is nothing better than dining outside with the breezes floating from every direction. Then the service. David served us and we loved him. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better our meals arrived. I had the paella and my husband had a pasta dish with lobster, shrimp & scallops in a basil cream sauce. Both of us were in heaven. I told David that this just may be where we come the rest of our vacation. Why go anywhere else?

I almost didn't write this review because I don't want it anymore popular than it already is. I rarely rave about any restaurant, but this one was special. They could try to get away with the view and serve up some fried fish and chips and be done with it, but instead they presented us both with our most amazing meal ever in this area.

• Visited June 2014
Nebraska
“An awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Loved this place. The porch deck outdoor seating watching the dolphins swim by and the sun setting was the experience we'd been looking for. The steel drums playing live in the background just topped it off along with excellent food. Highly recommend the Black n Bleu shrimp and chicken salad.

Visited June 2014