“Okay, not the nicest Crowne Plaza. Needs updating.” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 25%
Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Fort Myers
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“Okay, not the nicest Crowne Plaza. Needs updating.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed here due to the fact that it's a 5 minute drive from the Barbara Mann Center for the Performing Arts. It's also right across from a shopping mall, which is convenient. The staff was friendly and my room seemed clean, but the facilities are very, very old. The toilet looked super old, the doors around the room was scratched and also very old, and everything just seemed dated and like it had been there for a century. I seriously felt like I had stepped back in time. I believe the room WAS clean, but at times it didn't seem that way because everything had such an "old" look to it. I've stayed at several Crowne Plaza's, but this one was not the nicest. It had a very "motel" feel to it rather than a hotel.

It's interesting to me that others have said the same thing about the water. It WAS extremely hot. Scalding, in fact. I nearly burned myself. Painful!

Also, I agree about the air conditioning comments. It was loud. Luckily, I always travel with earplugs, so those helped, but even with the earplugs, I could still hear it! There was also some sort of rumbling noise. It might have been the air also, or it could have been the soda machine down the hall. Not sure. I did get a good night sleep, but if I hadn't had my earplugs I would have been out of luck.

All in all, I would stay here again if I was in a bind, but it wouldn't be a first choice. It just really, really needs an update and it's a little too noisy. For the price, it needs an update.

That being said, the staff was friendly and my room did seem reasonably clean. Plus, the parking was free. That's why I'm giving it three stars.

Room Tip: Away from Elevators, away from pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jim L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear EmLoves CW,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Fort Myers and our apologies that your stay was anything less than completely enjoyable. It was nice to hear you enjoyed our staff, cleanliness and service. The hotel will be undergoing several improvements this coming summer that will address many of your concerns about the older look of our hotel. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring byou back our way. Thank you again for having been our guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Very conveniently located next to the Shops at Bell Tower. Although the service was friendly and the hotel seemed clean, the facilities themselves need a major update. I arrived early and was able to check in early.
The rooms are large and there were lots of amenities in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable.
The air conditioning was quite loud and for the first night would wake me up every time it went on.
The water in the bathroom was very very hot.
The buffet breakfast was 10.95. It lacked a lot of items, but at the price i have no complaints.
The pool area was nice, and the pool was clean. The fitness room had modern equipment.

I might choose to stay here again, but it would really be nice to see a general update to the property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear BD007,
We thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Crowne Plaza Ft. Myers and it was nice to hear you found our location convenient and our staff to be so friendly. Many guests do love our location here at the Bell Tower Shops. We will be undergoing some improvements to our property this summer to give us a refreshed look and we hope to see you back for another opportunity to serve you. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is my third time to stay at this hotel in 4 years. I work for SW Airlines. I don't get to fort Myers very often. His time I went to the 5th floor priority lounge for the 5pm free snacks. Brooke the bartender did a great job helping us and tending to the good food being served. Then at 8pm, milk and cookies were served. They were better than moms!! Overall another great experience at the crowne!! Thanks guys!!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Swajoe,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Fort Myers. We really appreciate your input and we are delighted you enjoyed you stay with us. We LUV our SWA travel partners and look forward to many happy returns. We will also give Brooke a pat on the back for her efforts. Until the next time... safe travels and thanks again.
Clermont, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

One of the most comfortable hotel beds ever. Great pillows (but instead of four standard they really should have four king or six standard on a king sized bed) and crisp sheets. The bath towels were large and fluffy. The room was in good order and generally clean. Magnifying mirror in bathroom was a welcome touch. The group rate was more than reasonable for the accommodation quality.

The bad:

The hot water is scalding. There is no reason for it to be as hot as it was. I didn't realize how hot it would come out and burned my hand turning on the tub at only halfway between hot and cold the first day.

The room is dark. Even with every light on, it's dark. The little light by the coffee maker in the entryway area isn't sufficient to see your suitcase in the closet.

My room was over the pool, and I could hear children screeching from 8:00 am until after 11:00 each night.

The A/C was loud.

The bathroom floor really needed to be mopped.

All in all a good stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if I were in that area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the pool or the bar.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jim L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Lovescabs,
We thank you for taking the time to review the Crowne Plaza Fort Myers and my staff and I were happy to hear you found our beds comfortable and that you felt your stay was such a good value. All our rooms have the magnifying mirror and we even have specially equipped rooms for female travelers. I will be looking into the concerns you had about the hot water being too hot, this is the first I have heard of that. Later this summer we will be undergoing some property improvements that should make your future stays even more enjoyable. We look forward to having you back again soon. Thank you.
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I just stayed at Crowne Plaza, Ft. Myers at Bell Tower Shops, over the weekend, and I have to say it was very nice and clean. The outdoor pool is private (not to mention very pretty) and the location is nice. It is next to a movie theater and of course LOTS of great shopping!
The room itself was a comfortable size with a nice tv. Even with a dresser, 2 queen beds, nightstand, floorlamp, a tv, as well as a desk and a chair, we had plenty of room to walk around; it wasn't cramped at all.
Our room had a mini fridge (nice size, larger than I expected) and the beds were comfortable. The pillow was super fluffy and hurt my neck, I'm not used to pillows that large. So just a warning--if you don't like super thick pillows, bring your own :)
There was an unexplained hole behind the toilet (?). I didn't ask or complain about it; seemed harmless. Bathroom was modern, looked very clean. Water was very hot! Only had to barely turn the water on to get it comfortable for a shower.
If you're there for the location; I'd say it's worth it, and recommend it! Not too far from the beach either :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jim L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Jenna D,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Crowne Plaza Fort Myers. It was nice to hear you enjoyed our location and found our accommodations clean and well kept. We are also happy to know you found time to enjoy our pool area and found that enjoyable too. We do hope your travels will bring you back our way again soon. We have some improvements in store for this summer that will give our guests an even better experience.
Thanks again!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Located next to the Bell Tower Shopping area at the intersection of Daniels Rd, and Cleveland (US 41) the hotel is convenient to dining and shopping.
We found our room to be clean and containing a small fridge and a microwave as well as a coffee maker. The hotel, itself, is a bit dated but well kept. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Connected is a sports bar and restaurant, Shoeless Joe's, and other dining options are within walking distance.
There is a bar on the fifth (Club) floor serving 2 for 1 drinks (beer, wine and well drinks) at $3 ea. and hors devours from 5 until 8 for those who are located on that floor The same bar serves a continental breakfast in the morning. Those that staff it, evening and morning, work hard and deserve any gratuity you care to leave.
There is coffee and snacks available, to those not staying on the club floor, in the main lobby.
We liked the location and the facility and recommend it to those visiting the area.

Room Tip: Club floor is a bit more but worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jim L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Lou D,
We thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Fort Myers and my staff and I are happy to know you found the accommodations clean and comfortable. We are also happy to hear your enjoyed our Club Level lounge both friendly and accommodating. Many guests have told us they enjoy the extra amenities that we offer in this lounge and we continue to work to improve this area. We will be making some property upgrades this summer and we hope you will come back to see them. Thank you.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I agree with another reviewer that this place could use some refurbishment and a good "deep cleaning." The bathroom was just a little bit grungy if you looked down closely between the tiles but overall was acceptable. Our room was alleged to be "pool view" but you'd need x-ray vision to see through the palms outside the window to see the pool.

Staff was very good, and very responsive. We had booked through a Spring Training package for the Red Sox, and when confirmed through the broker they indicated two breakfasts were included, even though we booked as a family of three. On arrival, the desk clerk fixed that without being asked and gave us vouchers for everyone in our family.

The hotel restaurant (Shoeless Joes) has happy hour from 1100-2000 daily with 2 for 1 drinks. They also do the breakfast buffet which was just average. First morning (Friday) the restaurant staff was superb, but the weekend staff was a bit lackluster. Food was OK, but not stellar.

Parking is free, and the location is adjacent to a good sized mall with tons of dining options. We hit Grimaldi's Coal Fired Pizza (see separate review) which was good. If you are going down for Spring Training for the Sox or the Twins, this place is a good location as it's only 15 minutes from either ball park.

Check out was painless and the bill was accurate to the penny.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Robert W,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel following your recent Spring Training stay here at the Crowne Plaza Fort Myers. We appreciate all feedback that we receive from our guests and we will certainly use that to continue to improve. Our property will be undergoing several upgrades this summer that will address some of the update concerns noted. We are happy to know you found our location convenient for the ballparks and things to do. We hope to see your next year for spring training.

Been to Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops? Share your experiences!