“Good basic hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Fort Myers
Sarasota, Florida
“Good basic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

My husband had to work so I stayed the recent weekend here. Very basic well kept hotel with nice pool area. Room was quaint with sofa to sit and watch tele and comfy bed. Nice sliding glass door but it would only open 5 inches which was ridiculous. Adequate bath. The desk has a list of restaurants that will deliver. Stay away from the large menu italian one I was somehow charged over $30 for a small pizza and wings with no plates or utensils delvered they obviously don't care about the hotel people. Next door is the ALE HOUSE where we ate twice and had reasonable food and prices. It is a sports bar with large eclectic menu. The hotel breakfast buffet was mediocre for $9.25
I would go elsewhere . Our room was $139.0 after all taxes. (Taxes were about $14.00)

• Liked — ALE HOUSE next door
  • Disliked — Glass sliding door only opens 4-5 inches.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

We stayed here for $89 on Feb 16th. It was a very good rate at the time. The room was fine for the 5 of us. We were on the side away from the highway.
We thought the best feature was the pool area. It was half shaded and relaxing, with an indoor whirlpool.

• Stayed February 2008
Miami Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott for 2 nights in January. I was able to get the weekend special rate of $59/night which is a great rate for this hotel. It does not include breakfast but for $10/person for the breakfast buffet it still comes out to a super rate. The front desk informed me that this rate was being offered to bring in more weekend business.
This property is located on a corner of a very busy road convenient to route 75 and downtown Fort Myers. Being on a major road it is not a "tropical" or interesting location. At least it is close to lots of restaurants and stores.
The front desk staff were quick and polite and coffee was available 24/7 along with cookies in the afternoon. The public areas were new and attractive. Our room had a king bed, free high speed Internet and cable TV. The room was of average size and certainly comfortable. The bathroom seemed a bit Spartan and not decorated to the same level as the room. Our room faced the highway but was close to a convenient exit. The rooms on the first floor facing the pool and courtyard had a small terrace area. I would recommend trying to reserve one of these rooms. We happen to see the Courtyard located in the Gulf Coast Town Center and next time we will stay there. It is just off route 75 and although further from the beach and downtown this new development has lots of terrific restaurants, bars and stores.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lacey, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

Recently stayed at this hotel and was surprised that the reviews for it were so generous, might have stayed elsewhere.

Location/Check-in
Because the hotel is located on a pretty busy intersection (Metro and Colonial) and faces the main roads from two sides, you definitely want to stay in either the front building facing the courtyard, or in the back building facing either side. The highest floor is a must due to noise. Because of the location, you can easily get yourself to many restaurants, but I wouldn't say there is much in walking distance as it is in a more corporate area.

Check-in was fine and luckily they had a map so we could see exactly where our room was to be located. Lobby had free coffee, tea and cookies, which was nice. Very open, lots of tables and two computers with a printer which was helpful.

Room
The purpose of my review is to give you an honest opinion of my experience, yours may end up differently. Personally I feel that hotel is a noise magnet because of three reasons:

1) Every room has a balcony, so there isn't the usual buffer of having a full wall
2) It is located about a mile or two from a very small air field and planes fly very low right over the hotel and can be very loud
3) I think the walls are made of tissue paper. We could hear not only TV noise, but laughter, conversations and the really annoying sliding glass doors and even the curtains closing. If you have a noisy neighbor, good luck sleeping!

The hotel must be a bit older, however they have renovated the furniture. There was a nice newer work station with free high speed, a sofa and table and decent TV with closed caption and a good amount of stations. I don't think the new design of the Courtyard rooms is very functional as your TV faces the bed at a weird angle to the right. For one person this might not be too bad, but when traveling with someone else who is on the far side of the bed, having to look at the TV causes some neck pain. I found the bed to be way too soft and the foam pillows were incredibly flat. The linens were clean however. Although the furniture was new, the HVAC unit was very old and really should be replaced.

The bathroom was fine, decent water pressure and they provide small shampoo, conditioner and lotion with a nice fragrance. The space on the vanity was a little small, but adequate. the towels were linty and might be the reason for my chief complaint below.

Our room had a very chemical odor and both guests in my party got hives. We both have very sensitive skin and were just extremely uncomfortable. Not sure if it was from the paint, if they use certain cleaners in the room on the carpet, sheets or towels, but we both had allergic reactions after sitting in the room for a few hours after we came back from our day out. I can't say for sure this is from the room, who knows, we could have eaten something, but after sitting there for a few hours, was very itchy and uncomfortable. As soon as we left, hives were gone, however I am still having a reaction on my face to something. Have started taking an anti-histimine, but if you have any type of severe allergies or sensitive skin, I would stay away from this place. Smoking is not allowed, but there is just something in the air, water or cleaning products that made for a very uncomfortable stay.

Overall
For the price, if we hadn't had the problems with the allergies, it would have been on the fair side. The hotel is very noisy and if you are a heavy sleeper who doesn't have allergies, you'd be fine. Make sure to bring bottled water, there is a lot of sulfur or chemicals they used to treat the water (again, could be the cause of my allergies). I can't say I would recommend this hotel, we just had too many problems.

• Liked — Price, staff was nice
  • Disliked — Allergic reaction, noise
  • Stayed January 2008
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

We just stayed at The Courtyard this week. The hotel is very nice, easy to find, and the rate was good. The room was great -- very clean, nicely furnished, and had a very comfortable bed. One nice amenity was the closet hangers -- they lifted off the clothes rod. We didn't have to deal with the "lift-out" ones. The hotel now has a "No Smoking" policy -- you have to go outside the hotel to smoke. There is also a "No Pets" policy -- great if you have allergies. The breakfast buffet was reasonably priced and good. The staff was helpful and we'll definitely return next time we're in Fort Myers.

• Liked — Price, condition, and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Hated to leave
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Richland Hills, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2006

I stayed here for one night, just passing through on my way home from Tampa. It was a very nice and clean hotel. I felt like I was the only one who had ever been in the room and I am very picky (look for hairs, etc.). It seemed to be either very new or newly renovated because it had above average carpet and the bed was extremely comfortable. I got a room overlooking the pool which was encased in the courtyard of the hotel and it was quaint. I would stay here again if ever in Fort Myers.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

I just completed a stay at the Courtyard Ft. Myers and had room issues, and no one really cared. Upon checking in I was told that they had "run-out" of Queen bed, non-smoking rooms (which I had confirmed via my reservation). So I was forced to spend the night in a smokey room. While I was switched to a room-type equal to that which I had originally reserved, I recieved no compensation even when I inquired about it. I don't undersatnd how after reserving a 2 queen bed, non-smoking room that it wouldn't be available for me at check-in. So future travellers beware.

Definitely check out the Ale House next door for cheap pub food! It may seem a bit "off", but it's a good deal if you're just up for sports bar food.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Fort Myers Cape Coral? Share your experiences!