“Atmosphere is like a diner but prices are high” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 650 restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Description: Lunch & Dinner, Casual decor, Some outside seating, Beer & Wine
Eugene, Oregon
“Atmosphere is like a diner but prices are high”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The menu is unique and creative for Fort Myers, but most items are under spiced. This could be due to the tastes of the majority of the local clientele. The prices are adequate for most of the items on the menu, but my complaint is the atmosphere and service of the restaurant does not match the menu prices. Service is very slow and, for example we only got one roll per person and no butter.

The waitresses are VERY nice but they act like it is your corner diner. They are very loud and there is way too much conversation going on. It is a small room with a lot of echo, so every exchange with a table is something you have to hear as if it is next to you. The waitresses remind me of the waitresses at Disney's Prime Time Cafe that are told to be boiterous and treat you like you are eating at mama's kitchen. It is all very kind and sweet, but not when you are on a date and paying $30.00 for an entree. If you do visit Kenwood, I recommend the crab cakes and for dessert the zuccoto cake.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
jsbutterfield, Owner at Kenwood Lane Grille, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Kenwood Lane Grille would like to thank you for mentioning our unique and creative menu. Our Chef spends many hours in its design and execution. Thank you for noticing, our “waitresses are very nice”, they enjoy visiting with our regulars and new guests and like to make them feel at ease. Many of our visitors are on vacation and especially enjoy our friendly, casual atmosphere. They appreciate knowing that they can come as they are for a good quality meal and not feel out of place or under dressed and the room was specifically designed to reflex that comfort. Our service may be perceived as “slow” by some but we make it a policy not to rush our guests through their dinner date unless requested. It is unfortunate that you did not receive more rolls and butter, had you ask we would have happily obliged. It is so very kind of you to recommend our house made Zuccotto dessert ($8) and our Crab Cake Dinner made with lump crab meat ($21,) all of our dinners come with a choice of soup or salad & homemade dinner rolls.

91% Recommend
“Best restaurant yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

On the recommendation of a friend, my husband and I along with 3 friends, tried this restaurant last night for dinner. We could not have chosen a better place to dine!! We were warmly greeted when we walked in and shown to a table. Our drink orders were taken and delivered promptly. For beginners, my husband and 2 friends ordered the French Onion soup - which they all claimed was the tastiest theyhad ever had. Although not a split pea soup lover, I gave it a try and was I ever glad I did! A bowl of butternut squash bisque was ordered and was tried by all - we savored every drop. Our bowls were promptly cleared and soon after our main meal was happily served! Two baked stuffed shrimp dinners were devoured, along with a New York Strip, a chicken dinner with a great demi glace and a risotto mushroom dinner! There was hardly any chatter at our table as we all enjoyed each and every bite - and could not wait for the next! Too stuffed for dessert this time, but we will definitely be back for more - and so will our friends!

Columbus, Ohio, United States
“A Real Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have never had a bad meal at the Kenwood Grille! The unique menu includes fish, beef, poultry and pasta dishes that are attractively presented and delicious. This is one restaurant you must try! The owners are a husband and wife team (he's the chef and she's a waitress). The restaurant is small and cozy with outdoor and indoor dining. The chef prepares everything fresh including the desserts.Don't miss out on this little gem!

“Love this restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My partner and I eat at Kenwood often. We have always enjoyed every meal. The desserts are excellent. The wait staff in very personable and knowledgeable.

“Will not be back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Went there with another couple last night and all four of us were disappointed. We got two taster plates to share as appetizers. The taster plates included stuffed mushrooms, grilled shrimp and potato cakes. We all were happy with the appetizers, and looked forward to the rest of our meal. It all went down hill from there. Three of us ordered steaks. Two were served pretty much raw. We returned them(which is something I rarely do), and they came back nearly the same. I realize there can be different interpretations of medium rare, but what they served me seriously bordered on the raw side. My wife had crab stuffed shrimp. The stuffing was overcooked and the shrimp was undercooked. At the end of the night the waitress spent about two minutes trying to persuade us to buy dessert. Then another waitress came over and mentioned that the restaurant recently lost its number 1 spot on tripadvisor, and asked if we would be kind enough to leave a review if we were happy with our meal. I was thinking to myself I will be leaving a review but not the kind you want. If you do go, which after my last meal there I suggest you don't, you should sit outside. I feel bad leaving a poor review for a small family owned establishment, but I also felt bad as i was eating my dinner, and even worse when I got the check.

Visited December 2012
jsbutterfield, Owner at Kenwood Lane Grille, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Kenwood Lane Grille finds it disappointing that you were unsatisfied with your meal. It is a shame that you needed to send your steak back to the kitchen and the Chef does apologize for undercooking your beef. Unfortunately we are not clear about your comment of overcooking the stuffing in the stuffed shrimp and cannot address it. It is the policy of the restaurant to highlight our homemade desserts. Even though we understand that undercooking your steak may hinder your experience we find it a bit extreme to give us two stars and suggest that people not come.