“Great Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Los Angeles, California
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This place is kind of out of the past and due for an update to the restaurant itself but it's still lovely and the food is top notch. The garden is very pretty and visible from almost every seat, if it's too hot to eat outside. But if not, I would definitely recommend it. The service is also old school with older male waiters in tuxedos but so what?? Our meal was excellent and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Out of 6 of us, no one was disappointed. The next time I come to FM, I will certainly eat here.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Fort Myers, Florida
“not what I expected”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This restaurant has a very good reputation so maybe I expected too much. It was lovely & the service was friendly, but the food wasn't good at all. I ordered Danell Beef which was cut up steak with a thick salty sauce. The "chef's choice" for vegies was mashed potatoes (oh, no) and green beens in various shades of green. There were no mushrooms or capers, nothing but this plain looking meal with too much salt. I had to ask for the bread, altho I saw other tables get theirs without having to ask. The bread was kind of pumpkin colored & had been dipped in a sugary glaze which got all over you hands. Ugh!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“A shadow of it's once glory days.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We arrived shortly after three pm. We were seated near the bar area. There should be a warning sign as if you arrive at this hour you are sure to get the experience of a lifetime. We watched large bags of trash being discarded throughout our meal. An employee vacuuming the floor with a pleasant buzz soothing to our ear. The most astonishing thing I had ever witnessed was the way we were seated. The server, Timothy, pulled out my friends chair, he waited for her to be seated, and yes, Timothy left me standing there NEVER pulling my chair out and leaving me standing there. I naturally did not wait and seated myself. Timothy then requested what my friend would like to drink and blatantly ignored me! My friend Michelle and I could not believe it! Timothy returned shortly and took my drink order which was a club soda with a side plate of lemons. The lemons were aesthetically gross and stained in cherry juice. High end restaurant? I think NOT! I have dined at this restaurant for over thirty years and have never in my life been treated in such a dismissive manner. I felt as though It were fifty or more years ago and was about to be asked to be seated in the back lol! Friends this was certainly not what I had expected from such a "Refined" establishment as "The Verandah". We first received a small basket of cold bread and 4 pats of IHOP quality butter pats on a plate. We ordered two Caesar salads and an order of escargot which comes two ways. The first is served in a puff pastry with Maytag cheese and the second is in butter with garlic and spices. I, ordered the latter as I had preferred it to the pastry. My salad arrived first and was suspiciously reminiscent of a child's poor attempt at preparing a salad. Our server then asked if I would like some pepper. He then proceeded to grind pepper never stopping until I asked him to. I am not accustomed to this as the server usually asks if it is enough. But as I said for some reason my presence was not welcome as per his behavior toward me. the Caesar salad was flavorless and frugal in the dressing department or as my friend Michelle put it when I requested a second opinion so as not to seem to critical, "Bland". Two bites were all I could stand. One to taste and the second bite to clarify it's poor quality. She then received her salad which was equally inedible. At last my escargot! One of my all time favorites and once prepared magnificently I began to dig in. Then, the disappointment. As you can see from the pictures it was swimming in oil begging to be rescued from drowning. Now, I was told it is prepared in butter but perhaps the chef perceived us or better said myself to be a culinary idiot. I mean, really, who would order escargot and be able to distinguish between a delicacy and crap correct?!?!? I rescued my poor little escargots with some salt and a slight push to the end of my plate to keep them from their drowning demise. Our server was quite the absentee appearing or better said addressing us every 15 to 20 minutes although he did walk by several times glancing over at our table and swiftly disappearing like a ghost. Our server was very vocal at the bar discussing his "Baby Mama" with two persons. Such entertainment is hard to come by friends. There was trash on the floor under the table behind us and the carpeting is curling up. The details of this restaurant are no better than your local "Dennys" or "Perkins" which by far would have at least had a higher quality of service. There was a time when "The Verandah" was the place to be. One of Fort Myers most well respected, refined and established restaurants. It appears the pride it once held is now a fossil of it's once majestic self. I am saddened at what it has become which is nothing more than a mediocre shadow of it's glory days. My advice, ... go elsewhere, anywhere but "The Verandah" as you will leave not only disappointed but angry at the $$$ you will drop for tasteless, bland food and service not dignant of your presence.
Sadly, after thirty years we will not be returning, ever. I was truly embarrassed because we went to eat there at my suggestion. God I miss "Peters la cuisine". To it's owners, remember that word of mouth is a powerful entity and will catch up with you. Enjoy your façade whilst you can.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Latin in Florida
“First time went in 1981 fantastic, last time went 2007.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I don't know what happen to this once iconic restaurant but it's not the same. Maybe it's good again, I don't know anyone who goes there anymore. Last time there the food was ok the service ok the atmosphere nice but not worth the prices they charge. I've had better for less.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Butler, Pennsylvania
“Lovely Anniversary Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We always make sure to visit The Veranda when we are in Ft. Myers. We were just vacationing on Sanibel and went to The Veranda for our anniversary. It's a little less crowded in the off-season but the food and service were still great. It's always a pleasure.

Visited September 2013