“Southern Cuisine Meets Shady Acres Nursing Home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 660 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Fort Myers, Florida
“Southern Cuisine Meets Shady Acres Nursing Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I let my wife make dinner reservations for us as an early Valentines Day gift. She was tipped off by some friends about The Veranda saying it was very good and you won't be disappointed. So, tonight (February 9, 2013) we went and while it was expensive, it was good.

The Veranda looks like an afterthought as it's pretty much shoehorned amidst the tall office complex buildings and Lee County Detention Center. This leads me to believe that the prisoners are getting the same fare you would get at the restaurant. But, all jokes aside, the parking is rather scarce if you want something up close to the restaurant, else you're parking across the street in metered parking ($1.00 per hour). There's valet service if you want some punk college kid driving your car to a nearby parking garage (or "chop shop"), but since we're not a fan of valet parking, we went the way of the metered parking.

Two turn-of-the-century homes connected together for a colonial period dining experience you won't forget. The hostesses were friendly, dressed up in their black dresses, the servers and busboys wearing their crisp white shirts, black bow-ties, and suits. Our server, Pete, was exceptionally knowledgeable of the menu. He made his recommendations and I had the best house salad with blackbeans, artichoke hearts, and a dressing that I highly recommend - ask for the creamy pepperonccini dressing. It's ranch dressing with pepperoncini peppers chopped up. It's spicy and it's delicious. My wife had the house salad with the house honey mustard dressing. All dressings are home made. We ordered two filet mignons with Bernaise sauce and this was to die for! Very juicy! Very yummy! Very clean plates! And for dessert, I had a slice of the chocolate peanut butter pie and my wife had a death by chocolate-type dessert.

The clientele this evening was relatively old. In the dining room section we sat in, we were the youngest couple in the immediate area. Though, there were families with children going to the dining room upstairs. The dress code seems more shirt-and-tie than just a dress shirt and jeans, but I guess if you don't show up wearing your "I Love Fort Myers Beach" t-shirts, Hawaiian shorts, flip-flops, and your knock-off Ray Ban sunglasses you bought at the local beach shop, then you're fine.

If you want to dig deep into the pockets and have some delicious food, then try this place. Just make sure you bring your appetite and be nice to the old folks who eat here. I'll definitely be back again

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

bonita Springs, Florida, USA
“GREAT PLACE FOR BUSINESS LUNCHES”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Have had lots of business lunches lately and had one dinner at the Veranda. Within the last 3 months. I did have one bad experience but hey sometimes that happens. I gave them another shot and it has been GREAT!! Sabrina is the Best!!, I ask for her all the time when having business lunches. THANKS SABRINA THE BEAUTIFULL.

A few weeks ago went out with one of our Vendors to the Veranda for dinner. I had no reservation but since my business is close by, we wanted to go there for dinner. There were 3 of us, I called and Denny said sure come right in will take care of you, but you might have to seat in the patio, I said no problem. WOW what a great experience, dinner and service outstanding. Jack our waiter was GREAT he knew his menu. We set outside in the patio was a bit chilly but not bad. They turned the patio heater on for us, nice touch. All 3 of us had the Sea bass it was EXCELLENT, wine GREAT also. We really enjoyed that evening thanks Denny and Jack. My vendor was very very impressed.

Thanks guys keep up the good work. Will see you this Week.

North Fort Myers, Florida
“Excellent choice for romantic dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Have dined at the Veranda several times over the past few years, including quite recently. Restaurants in SW FL understandably tend to be relatively casual due to the tourist population, but The Veranda provides a more formal dining experience. Nice location in downtown Fort Myers (which itself has undergone significant transformation over the past 2 years), the restaurant is in an old home (one of the oldest in Fort Myers). The atmosphere reminds me more of a Charleston or Savannah restaurant, with lots of wood, nice molding and trim, etc. Service at this restaurant is excellent, with jacketed waiters, a nice bar area, and generally entertainment in the bar area provided by a decent piano player (who surprised me last night by playing Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane" on his grand piano. Solid appetizers like crab cakes (very good), seared scallops (even better), and of course their famous sweet corn bread muffins. Always a nice selection of wines, beers, full bar, etc. Entrees are what you would expect in a higher end restaurant (nice selection of fish, beef, veal, etc, as well as some unusual selections (last night antelope was one of the chef's specials). All in all, not the place to take the kids, but a nice experience for a romantic evening. Tends to be an older clientele. Prices certainly not cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either (entrees range from about $18 - $36 or so). Would recommend to others.

Cape Coral, Florida, United States
“A special place for a special date”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Though we don't go very often, this is one of the places wmu husband and I go to for a special date. The service is fantastic as well as the food. I can't wait to return. We need to go more often.

Visited June 2012
Florida
“A Classic Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Party of three dined recently and enjoyed the evening. Very special place. Everything on the menu is impressive and served in the "classic way" by waiters in tuxedos. For a romantic evening or the special event in Fort Myers, The Veranda has no equal.