“charming” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 60 Hotels in Fort Myers
Townsend, Massachusetts
“charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

This is not a luxury accomodation, by any means. But what it lacks in sophistication, it makes up in charm. We stayed in one of the places around the little lake. As others have mentioned, the room smelled strongly of cleaning solution when we entered, but we aired it out easily with the aid of the patio doors. The room is quite small, but does include a kitchen area and was very clean. It was very peaceful reading or eating on the patio, or watching the turtles in the pond. We (my husband and I) were only there for a couple days, and didn't get to use the pool (very clean) or complimentary boats, but it seems like an ideal place for kids.
We were recently surprised to see a couple bad reviews. So, I decided to throw in our good experience. Heather, the manager, was very accessable and easy to deal with, as was the other young lady we dealt with in the office.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on April 21, 2012 and thankfully it was only for one night. Upon entering our room we were struck by a very strong and horrible musty smell. Next we could not help but notice that our mirrored closet door was completely off the tracks and leaning up against the other exposing a filthy closet track and surrounding floor. I guess our first clue should have been the slums we drove through just before arriving.
We needed to see no more, We wanted out of there!. We are by no means in need of a 5 star resort. We prefer small motels and inns and we are not picky. We can overlook a few blemishes. We went to the front office and told them we were not satisfied and wanted to cancel due to the condition of the room. We were told no way, and too bad. The night clerk then put my husband on the phone with the manager, Heather who also refused to compensate us. She said the rooms are not dirty and they take pride in that. WOW! She obviously had not seen our room....
I said I can't wait to write a review on Trip Advisor in the background because she was just being belligerent to my husband. Very argumentative. Heather heard what I said and asked my husband if I was threatening her. I replied most certainly not. This is a promise.
So Heather, here it is.
Frustrated, tired and defeated, we returned to our disgusting room. I pulled the bedspread back to reveal an absolute horror. It was covered in bodily fluid stains, some of which were obviously blood. Not just 1 spot but literally covered!.We then checked the other bedspread and it was just as bad! My husband called Heather back and asked that she come look at this "clean" room. We showed her the closet and she seemed surprised and tried to put it back on the tracks and it promptly shattered. We showed her the dirty floors, drawers, then the bedspread and she could no longer offer any more excuses and agreed it was disgusting.
She moved us to another room that she said was "cleaner." Don't forget, she takes pride in the cleanliness of the rooms but she then agreed to move us. It was only slightly cleaner and still had bodily fluids although, not as many , on the bedspread. The fire alarm was hanging from the ceiling, inoperable. Fire hazard? The chairs were badly stained. My husband asked for compensation and she refused. Something should have been offered, anything would have made a difference.
She was very unprofessional and was obviously drunk. Rock Lake owners, you need another manager!
This was the filthiest place we have ever stayed. Don't be fooled by the pictures. Some rooms may have been updated but ours certainly was not. We were located across the street from the pond, near the office. If you needed ice you had to walk across the street. Take a look for yourselves at real photos. Beware!

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Forget the pictures in the ad. This "resort" has two sections, one as shown in the ad, and a seedy, $25, old hotel across the street. Our room was in the seedy part even though none of this was explained or even mentioned in the ad, or during booking.

In addition the wifi was not working in the room. Even when I went outside and sat on the curb it was spotty. The room itself was clean, but smelled like disinfectant. No carpent, a simple almost bare light fixture in the center of the room. This was a major disappointment. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Other reviewers have described the property well. My husband and I found the atmosphere very relaxing and we really enjoyed feeding cracker bits to the fish and turtles. The cottages have been nicely updated and have everything needed to prepare simple meals. Heather, the manager, was very helpful, and I would recommend you have her show you the one-way street system on a map when you arrive. If you are travelling on I-75 I suggest you get off at Exit 141 which will put you on the correct direction on Palm Beach Blvd (turn south). The wi-fi reception can be spotty. We would definitely go back for another relaxing visit. It is an easy drive to Sanibel Island from here and an afternoon there was a highlight of our stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night with our kids, ages 7 and 9. The rooms are very modest, but the place is full of quirky Florida charm. The room looked out onto a man-made pond stocked with fish and turtles. Next to it is a swimming pool, small but clean. The kids spent a lot of the time looking at the fish while my husband and I relaxed on the porch. In the words of our daughter: This is the best hotel, ever!

• Stayed April 2012
Land of corn and pigs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We found this resort on Tripadvisor and decided to give it a try. We were apprehensive prior to getting to our cabin, but found the whole experience really wonderful. Built in 1946 it has a step back in time atmosphere, but the rooms are updated, and exceptionally clean. There are nine duplex cabins each facing a small lake with fountains, which can be enjoyed on the walled patio of each unit. It is a bit hard to get to as it is on a one way, if you pass it it is difficult to get back to it, worth the effort if you do. Behind the cabins is a wooded area with a board walk wilderness trail and on one side a BBQ area with canoes and kayaks available free to paddle either up a stream or down and out on to the river. we highly recommend Rock Lake to those looking for a unique setting and experience, if you expect a Hilton or Ritz experience don't bother.

Albuquerque, NM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Our first impression of Rock Lake was nice. The courtyard is attractive. The rooms are old, but care has been taken to make them pleasant and comfortable, lots of little touches. The bed was clean and comfortable. But things can go wrong anywhere, and that particular night those things rained on us. First, the WiFi didn't work. Then there was no hot water. When I tried to call on the room phone to report it, the phone was dead. Then the handle on the toilet broke. After a cold shower and all those random problems, we were pretty grumpy. I contacted the booking agent who had booked the room for us. They contacted Rock Lake, and we received a refund. I think that night was as abnormal for them as it was for us.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rock Lake Resort? Share your experiences!