“Quiet and relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 61 Hotels in Fort Myers
Halifax, Canada
“Quiet and relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Other reviewers have described the property well. My husband and I found the atmosphere very relaxing and we really enjoyed feeding cracker bits to the fish and turtles. The cottages have been nicely updated and have everything needed to prepare simple meals. Heather, the manager, was very helpful, and I would recommend you have her show you the one-way street system on a map when you arrive. If you are travelling on I-75 I suggest you get off at Exit 141 which will put you on the correct direction on Palm Beach Blvd (turn south). The wi-fi reception can be spotty. We would definitely go back for another relaxing visit. It is an easy drive to Sanibel Island from here and an afternoon there was a highlight of our stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night with our kids, ages 7 and 9. The rooms are very modest, but the place is full of quirky Florida charm. The room looked out onto a man-made pond stocked with fish and turtles. Next to it is a swimming pool, small but clean. The kids spent a lot of the time looking at the fish while my husband and I relaxed on the porch. In the words of our daughter: This is the best hotel, ever!

• Stayed April 2012
Land of corn and pigs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We found this resort on Tripadvisor and decided to give it a try. We were apprehensive prior to getting to our cabin, but found the whole experience really wonderful. Built in 1946 it has a step back in time atmosphere, but the rooms are updated, and exceptionally clean. There are nine duplex cabins each facing a small lake with fountains, which can be enjoyed on the walled patio of each unit. It is a bit hard to get to as it is on a one way, if you pass it it is difficult to get back to it, worth the effort if you do. Behind the cabins is a wooded area with a board walk wilderness trail and on one side a BBQ area with canoes and kayaks available free to paddle either up a stream or down and out on to the river. we highly recommend Rock Lake to those looking for a unique setting and experience, if you expect a Hilton or Ritz experience don't bother.

Albuquerque, NM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Our first impression of Rock Lake was nice. The courtyard is attractive. The rooms are old, but care has been taken to make them pleasant and comfortable, lots of little touches. The bed was clean and comfortable. But things can go wrong anywhere, and that particular night those things rained on us. First, the WiFi didn't work. Then there was no hot water. When I tried to call on the room phone to report it, the phone was dead. Then the handle on the toilet broke. After a cold shower and all those random problems, we were pretty grumpy. I contacted the booking agent who had booked the room for us. They contacted Rock Lake, and we received a refund. I think that night was as abnormal for them as it was for us.

Kingsland, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Was in Ft.Myers under unpleasant circumstances. Rock Lake was soothing, fun, relaxing & much more. Kichenette, outdoor porch, fish, turtles--even an Osprey came by & grabbed his lunch! No fancy stuff--just pleasant staff, guests, suroundings. Can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Stayed in several--all face lake.--probably enjoyed # 9 best--fish & turtles were drrawn to litt...
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I had to have an open mind when I stayed here. This place had good reviews on trip advisor so I decided I would give it a chance. I am so used to staying at various hotel chains that this seemed very different and something I would enjoy. I mainly booked this hotel because of the fact that they offered kayaking and canoeing access from the property.
I chose to stay in the units that have a patio facing the man-made lake that can be seen from the website. My son was very excited when we checked in. The staff was friendly and made us feel like a part of the "family". The only thing I did not like was the room had a strong smell from the cleaning solutions that they use. This was quickly solved by opening the patio doors. The room was a bit small and not up to date but thats what I expected when I booked this place so it was not a big deal to me. After a good night rest my son and I fed the fish and turtles in the man-made lake then went for a swim in the pool followed by kayaking and canoeing from the back of the property. This is really why I came here and to be bale to have some peace and quiet in an area that you would least expect was great. I think everyone should stay here and give it a try. Just remember to keep an open mind depending on where you are used to staying.

Room Tip: Stay by the man made lake. Room has a patio facing the lake.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My friends who live in SW FL (Venice and Cape Coral) were worried about where we were staying when I told them address of the resort. I said that tripadvisor has never steered-me-wrong! Once again, it was spot-on! After all our travels in and beyond the US, we are so tired of the cookie-cutter chain resorts with no personality. We rented one of the cottages and we had a spectacular time. It was so peaceful!! Accommodations were immaculate! Big porch on ground-level facing the pond with lots of turtles and carp to watch. Great water-pressure in the shower. Unit was totally renovated and it was close to downtown Ft. Myers to shop, go out to dinner and a great gateway to venture to Sanibel Island. The manager of the complex made us feel right at home. Pool was warm and clean - I had it to myself one afternoon. It is in a good section on Palm Beach Blvd. and my friends felt bad that they raised concerns about the location. I would ABSOLUTELY stay here again! The only thing that I found missing in our cottage was that there was no blow-dryer in the unit and that as other posts have said, the lounge chairs by the pool need to be upgraded. But if that's the least of the negatives - I still say it was an excellent experience! Enjoy!! :-)

Room Tip: I can't comment on the hotel/motel units, but the prices when stayin in a cottage are so absolut...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Rock Lake Resort? Share your experiences!