“Skip it!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Herndon, Virginia
“Skip it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a faux Irish pub, not worth the trip. The food is average sort of American fare; the interior is a large barn like sort of place; the hostess and waitresses all run around in very short kilt-skirts, giving the place a feel of sort of an Irish Hooters.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fort Myers, FL
“GREAT IRISH ATMOSPHERE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stopped in on Thursday night where they have all the walleye you can eat for $14. Since we were formally from Ohio, near Lake Erie, walleye is very unusual down here. The fish was good as it must have been frozen, but that was expected. It was still enjoyable to eat walleye in Southwest Florida. Prices of other items on the menu did not seem out of line. The service was a little slow but we were in no hurry as we were enjoying the Irish music. Unfortunately, the music was a little loud that it made it very difficult to converse. If you want to appreciate the Irish atmosphere, this is the place to go.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Myers, Florida
“SLOW service and fair food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I went at lunchtime when there appeared to be only about a half dozen other tables and at least three waitresses to serve people. Two waitresses handled our group of eight. One person had to leave early for a doctor's appt, informed one of the waitresses of this and ordered her entree before everyone else, choosing what she was told would be one of the faster items to prepare. She ended up having to take her lunch to go and was 10 minutes late in leaving to go her appointment. Our lunch came out at about the same time and the crumbs of potato chips served up with some of the entrees appeared to be from the bottom of the bag. My grilled sandwich was fair, and warm but not hot with pale pink tomatoes. The $12 spinach salad that someone else had was quite small for the money. Neither of the waitresses ever refilled my water.
It took awhile to get my bill after requesting it. And then after waiting about 10 minutes for change from a $20 on my $6.36 check, I sought out the waitress who had taken my tab. She handed me back change of $7.00.
I was extremely unimpressed at how slow the service was all around-. The restaurant was not busy at all and there appeared to be more than enough staff to handle the small number of patrons.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fort Myers, Florida
“Full sized burger and any draft beer for $6 before 6:30 p.m. any day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We certainly weren't expecting a full-sized black angus cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato and onions on a pretzel bread with this special. Great tasting burger. We probably had a choice of 10-12 draft beers. We were able to sample a few before deciding. And the choices aren't limited to domestic beers like most places. Good service. We were looking at the draft beer choices on our way out and the bartender let us sample the Sam Adams Octoberfest since it wasn't on the menu and we didn't know it was an option. I love good customer service! We will be back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Myers, Florida
“Come for food, stay for the live Irish music session (Tuesdays)!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

First, you have to understand, I love Irish traditional music. So, when I head that Ballyorney hosted an Irish session on Tuesday evenings, I had to go there and check it out. The place looks like a castle, two stories tall and built of stone or something. The interior is very traditional Irish-pub, dark wood and brass. The addition of tiny uniforms on the young and attractive waitstaff is a little commercial, but what the heck, it's also a sports pub, and they eye-catching waitstaff fit right in; plus, they are mostly attentive and good at their jobs!

My first night there I had fish'n'chips with Guinness. The fish portion is enormous, but the dish did need the malt vinegar I added, and it's a bit pricey for pub fare -- oh well, it's a huge place and they have to make their mortgage or rent or whatever it is. The Guinness is $5 these days, and always good.

A different day we came in as a family and had lunch: the grouper tacos my husband had were OK but not spectacular or unique, my son had the burger, which was also huge, and a couple of us had the clam chowder and tasted; nothing too special there, either. I had the Beef & Blue salad, which really was a steak cut up atop a salad -- medium-rare, exactly what I wanted, in a quantity quite generous for those trying to get greens and protein. There was a rugby team, or perhaps it was two teams, upstairs celebrating something, and even with the solid "castle" construction, you could hear the faint roaring and thumping as they went about their obscure rituals... kind of adds to the "sports pub" authenticity.

And then there was the Night of the Beef Tips. Wow! That was fantastic! The beef was beautifully simmered until it was easy to part from the small neat riblet bones with just a fork, and the potatoes beneath it were reminiscent of the wonderful Irish classic potato dish Colcannon: potatoes boiled then whipped with greens and scallions, beautifully presented beneath the beef tips and perfect for soaking up the last delicious drop of the ragout! As usual, there was enough left over that I could enjoy it for lunch the next day, and this dish is just as great the second day.

The Irish session was excellent and good fun, hosted by friendly professional fiddler Ian ("the craic was ninety") Barksdale with a varied crew of other musicians (pro-am mix) as well; you're never sure what the exact instrumental makeup will be on any given night, which is part of the beauty of it. Most of these people play multiple instruments, too, which adds to the suspense :-) Come by, Tuesday nights, anytime after 7 pm, and ask the host/ess for a seat in the session room.

Note: Some sentences of this description also appear in my Yelp review of this place. It's all written by me, but rephrasing everything completely seems, well, sorta silly.

• Visited October 2012