“Awesome food!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 651 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: Austrian, German
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Helga (owner and chef) has been indulging her guests since 30 years. She also owns a restaurant in Vienna. Her main goals are: make her guests feel at home, let them enjoy fine food and make them having a good time.Therefor there’s Inside and Outside seating available.Since 2008, we serve original Austrian and German dishes. Plus a selection of regional specialties.We are located inside the Royal Palm Square.
“Awesome food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Wonderful, fresh, and even more than we expected. One of the best German restaurants ever. Strudel is to die for. Five of us went and everyone enjoyed their meal, including my German friend who is a great cook herself.

Visited November 2012
AG-Restaurant, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Austrian-German Restaurant, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
We say thank you and we are very happy that you enjoyed it.

DC Metro Area
“Resentful of their "rigidness"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Overall, the restaurant meal was evidently good. The others in my party enjoyed their meals. Me, not at all - and I had to pay for it! Here's what you need to know: If the server or kitchen makes an error with your order, there are absolutely no returns or changes made.

I asked the server about the ingredients in one of the schnitzel dishes and if one of the ingredients could be omitted. He assured me that leaving out the ingredient would not be a problem at all and noted it when he wrote it down.

Our dishes arrive and within one or two bites, I notice the ingredient was indeed in the schnitzel. I politely noted this to the server who immediately got a look of terror in his face! I then asked if it would be possible to re-do the dish. He adamantly said, "No. Sorry. She (Helga) will absolutely not take dishes back." End of discussion and he walks away. I sit there stunned. I shouldn't have been because I then learned that this rigid refusal to please a customer may happen with some frequency at this restaurant.

Someone in our dining party said they weren't surprised because on a previous visit, Helga make a big scene (shouting and banging stuff in the kitchen) which embarassed a customer at another table because they sent back their meal due to a mix-up in the side dish. Now I know why the server had an immediate look of terror in his face - evidently the chef is all smiles until someone has the audacity to ask for the correction of a mistake. No tolerance whatsoever for the customer in this equation. This kitchen is never wrong!

So. There I sat with an expensive dish in front of me which went uneaten. Had I known that THEIR mistake would be costing ME, I would have ordered something else in the first place. When the staff assures you that a minor ingredient omission is "no problem" and you get it anyway, and are then expected to eat it as-is and pay for it, that is a big zero in my book.

The only reason I didn't give this place a zero is because the others in the party enjoyed their meals. I will say the deserts are absolutely delicious. The only problem is since I never had a meal to begin with, anything would have tasted good at that point!

When you consider that the average worker in this town probably had to work for two to three hours to be able to afford one of these meals, that is a real shame. Imagine this being a special night out, and get treated this way! This is definitely not a place for families, kids or anyone who may need an adjustment on an ingredient or has any kind of food allergy. Be forewarned - you will NOT be accommodated!

I thought it was important for potential diners to understand this so that you are not surprised. Evidently Helga dishes it up only one way - her way. If you don't like it, tough. But you will pay for it before they let the door hit you on the way out!

Visited October 2012
DC Metro Area
“Fuming and frustrated.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Overall, the restaurant meal was evidently good. The others in my party enjoyed their meals. Me, not at all - and I had to pay for it! Here's what you need to know: If the server or kitchen makes an error in your order, there are absolutely no returns or changes made.

I asked the server about the ingredients in one of the schnitzel dishes and if one of the ingredients could be omitted. He assured me that leaving out the ingredient would not be a problem at all.

Our dishes arrive and within one or two bites, I notice the ingredient was indeed in the schnitzel. I politely noted this to the server, who immediately got a look of terror in his face. I then asked if it would be possible to re-do the dish. He adamantly said, "No. Sorry. She (Helga) will absolutely not take dishes back." End of discussion and he walks away. I sit there stunned.

One of the others in our dining party said on a previous visit, she indeed saw Helga make a big scene and embarass another customer because they wanted to send back their meal due to a mix-up in the side dish. Now I know why the server had an immediate look of terror in his face - evidently the chef is all smiles until someone has the audacity to ask for a correction of a mistake. No tolerance whatsoever for the customer in this equation. This kitchen is never wrong!

So. There I sat with an expensive dish in front of me which went uneaten. Had I known that THEIR mistake would be costing ME, I would have ordered something else in the first place. When the staff assures you that a minor ingredient omission is "no problem" and you get it anyway and are then expected to eat it as it and pay for it, that is a big zero in my book.

The only reason I didn't give this place a zero is because the others in the party enjoyed their meals. I would say the deserts are absolutely delicious. The only problem is since I never had a meal to begin with, anything would have tasted good at that point!

When you consider that the average worker in this town probably had to work for two to three hours to be able to afford one of these meals, that is a real shame. Definitely not a place for families, kids or anyone who may need an adjustment on an ingredient.

I thought it was important for other potential diners to understand this so that you are not surprised. If someone has food allergies, or needs any kind of adjustment to a meal order, don't count on it. Evidently Helga dishes it up one way - her way. If you don't like it, tough.

Visited October 2012
Tappan, New York
“Excellent Epicurian European Home Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We heard about this restaurant back in NY as a "MUST RESTAURANT TO EAT IN". First you must use GPS or a destination map. It is in the Royal Palms Plaza..so go in any entrance you can find,other wise you will be circling the area due to one way traffic.
When we arrived for Lunch the restaurant was decorated for Oktoberfest with music, outside tables decorated with white table clothes and flowers. As we stepped inside it reminded me of fine old world charm restaurants we frequented in Vienna Austria.The menu had many entrees where decisions were very difficult due to the fact that we liked all of them. The greeter/waiter was very attentive and answered all of our gastronomical questions. After a good dark German Beer we ordered our entree that included soup. The Soup was "WOW"..dark, spicy and delicious. The sauerbraten with pickle cabbage, dumpling and a brown wine sauce was " to die 10 times for". The last time i tasted Sauerbraten this good was in Munich Germany. We ended the meal with a large piece of home made apple strudel made by Helga.(Helmut & Helga own the restaurant)

Helmut and Helga came over and thanked us for patronizing the restaurant. We told them just how delicious their food tasted and how delightful/ relaxing their restaurant is.
If i lived in Ft. Myers i would eat at the Austrian-German restaurant 2 times a week.
As for the Cost, as they say in Brooklyn.... "Forget-about-it"..(Very inexpensive)

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Challanges for a great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The first and rather formidable challange is finding this gem. Only 5 miles from my hotel, it took me nearly 1.5 hrs to locate it. It is nestled in the heart (literally) of the Royal Palms Plaza and the fact that Colonial is limited access doesn't help. Once found I entered to find a smiley lady just putting out 3- three foot freshly baked strudels. I was ready to skip dinner and go straight for desert. The Aroma was fab... Now, here is the thing. It was a Tuesday night at 5:45 pm and raining. The restaurant has only about 15 tables inside and they are mostly small... great for intamacy but for crowds...not so much. There are maybe 20 tables outside, but, it's Florida, not the Bavarian Alps..you know humidity at 100 percent and 85 degrees...Did I mention it was monsooning...

I have read the other mixed reviews and in defense of this establishment, I think some things need to be clarified... In Europe, dinner is an event. If you want McDougles and a 5 minute burger then this ain't the place for you. If you want a slow, delicious, freshly well prepared dining experience that will last every bit of 2 plus hours... Come on down.

From that first wiff of strudel, I was hooked. I was taken to a lovely corner table, newspaper in hand and immediately asked about a choice of beverage. German Beer of course. Not one with metrics, I had a 1 liter mug... Nuff Said. It was creamy with a little bite but I have never had better and kept returning to the bucket. I placed my order of the Butcher Block, ( a mixture of pork tenderloin & gravy, Sauerbraten, several different wursts and a dumpling with Kraut and with a salad) Others started to come in and the salad arrived in about 20 minutes. Sipped the beer, savored the salad with red cabbage, munched on the great dark bread and read the paper.. all terriffic. Dinner arrived about 40 minutes later and the place was now full. I delighted in everything they brought and 40 minutes later I had worked my way to a cleaned plate, literally... Now, I am not much for desert, especially after a monsterous meal, buttttt... well, the strudel, with fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce... My taste buds were estatic.

In closing let me say this. Delicious fresh food, properlyprepared takes both time and patience. If you want to experience dinner, go early or during the week and you will experience German Nirvana. If you are more the impatient type.. Head for Burger doodle.. For my part, I'll be back.

• Visited October 2012