“Excellent Epicurian European Home Cooking” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Austrian-German Restaurant

Austrian-German Restaurant
1400 Colonial Boulevard, The Restaurant Is in the Courtyard of Royal Palm Square, Fort Myers, FL 33907
+1 239-936-8118
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 641 Restaurants in Fort Myers
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: German, Austrian
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business
Description: Helga and Helmut (chef) has been indulging their guests since 30 years. Helga also owns a restaurant in Vienna. Their main goals are: make guests feel at home, let them enjoy fine food and make them having a good time. Therefore there's Inside and Outside seating available.Since 2008, we serve original Austrian and German dishes. Plus a selection of regional specialties.We are located inside the Royal Palm Square.
Tappan, New York
“Excellent Epicurian European Home Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We heard about this restaurant back in NY as a "MUST RESTAURANT TO EAT IN". First you must use GPS or a destination map. It is in the Royal Palms Plaza..so go in any entrance you can find,other wise you will be circling the area due to one way traffic.
When we arrived for Lunch the restaurant was decorated for Oktoberfest with music, outside tables decorated with white table clothes and flowers. As we stepped inside it reminded me of fine old world charm restaurants we frequented in Vienna Austria.The menu had many entrees where decisions were very difficult due to the fact that we liked all of them. The greeter/waiter was very attentive and answered all of our gastronomical questions. After a good dark German Beer we ordered our entree that included soup. The Soup was "WOW"..dark, spicy and delicious. The sauerbraten with pickle cabbage, dumpling and a brown wine sauce was " to die 10 times for". The last time i tasted Sauerbraten this good was in Munich Germany. We ended the meal with a large piece of home made apple strudel made by Helga.(Helmut & Helga own the restaurant)

Helmut and Helga came over and thanked us for patronizing the restaurant. We told them just how delicious their food tasted and how delightful/ relaxing their restaurant is.
If i lived in Ft. Myers i would eat at the Austrian-German restaurant 2 times a week.
As for the Cost, as they say in Brooklyn.... "Forget-about-it"..(Very inexpensive)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tampa, Florida
“Challanges for a great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The first and rather formidable challange is finding this gem. Only 5 miles from my hotel, it took me nearly 1.5 hrs to locate it. It is nestled in the heart (literally) of the Royal Palms Plaza and the fact that Colonial is limited access doesn't help. Once found I entered to find a smiley lady just putting out 3- three foot freshly baked strudels. I was ready to skip dinner and go straight for desert. The Aroma was fab... Now, here is the thing. It was a Tuesday night at 5:45 pm and raining. The restaurant has only about 15 tables inside and they are mostly small... great for intamacy but for crowds...not so much. There are maybe 20 tables outside, but, it's Florida, not the Bavarian Alps..you know humidity at 100 percent and 85 degrees...Did I mention it was monsooning...

I have read the other mixed reviews and in defense of this establishment, I think some things need to be clarified... In Europe, dinner is an event. If you want McDougles and a 5 minute burger then this ain't the place for you. If you want a slow, delicious, freshly well prepared dining experience that will last every bit of 2 plus hours... Come on down.

From that first wiff of strudel, I was hooked. I was taken to a lovely corner table, newspaper in hand and immediately asked about a choice of beverage. German Beer of course. Not one with metrics, I had a 1 liter mug... Nuff Said. It was creamy with a little bite but I have never had better and kept returning to the bucket. I placed my order of the Butcher Block, ( a mixture of pork tenderloin & gravy, Sauerbraten, several different wursts and a dumpling with Kraut and with a salad) Others started to come in and the salad arrived in about 20 minutes. Sipped the beer, savored the salad with red cabbage, munched on the great dark bread and read the paper.. all terriffic. Dinner arrived about 40 minutes later and the place was now full. I delighted in everything they brought and 40 minutes later I had worked my way to a cleaned plate, literally... Now, I am not much for desert, especially after a monsterous meal, buttttt... well, the strudel, with fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce... My taste buds were estatic.

In closing let me say this. Delicious fresh food, properlyprepared takes both time and patience. If you want to experience dinner, go early or during the week and you will experience German Nirvana. If you are more the impatient type.. Head for Burger doodle.. For my part, I'll be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle
“Mediocre cold soggy food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

In fairness it was the Octoberfest Buffet outside, not regular served kitchen menu.
It was cold, soggy, tasteless for the most part and very disappointing.
Disappointing at best.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fort Myers, Florida
“Fantastic homestyle food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We went for their seasonal buffet and the food was delicious. We are going back again this weekend. If you like traditional German food you will not be disappointed in this one. The service leaves a lot to be desired. They didn't have enough staff to clear dirty dishes from the tables.

Visited September 2012
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Service was very poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have been to this restaurant several times. The food has always been excellent. The service leaves a lot to be desired. The service has always been slow, and 2+ hours seems to be normal for a meal. Our last visit (It will be our last unless they get their act together) was a disaster. We had a reservation for 7PM and arrived about 6:55. We were told that we would be seated shortly. About 7:15 they told us which table would be ours, and that the party there was paying the bill. At 7:35 another party was seated at that table. When we complained they told us that they had made a mistake, and offered to seat us (party of 4) at a table for 8. Unfortunately, the group waiting for the table for 8 was right there, and wanted to be seated. At this point the wait for a table would have been another half hour or more so we left. It turned out that it was a good thing that we left, as some other people that we knew were also there. They had been seated at about 7:15, and left without being served at 9:00.

I believe that the main problem is that they do not want to turn away customers, and take more reservations than they can handle.

• Visited September 2012