“Hidden Treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 649 restaurants in Fort Myers
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casual little French joint in South Fort Myers. Affordable French dining with attractive wine program. Chef-owner in the kitchen and Wife-owner in the dining room. Professional wait-staff, great food with silky sauces. Escargots, Charcuteries, Cheeses, Marrow Bones, Veal Sweetbread, Roasted Duck, Steak Frites, Veal a la creme... And daily specials. Don't miss the Profiterolles or the Creme Brulee!
Fort Myers, Florida
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We’ve recently relocated to southwest Florida and have been steadily building a new portfolio of favored restaurants. Soon after we arrived, we tried Blue Windows Bistro on the recommendation of friends. With our second visit to this eatery, we felt compelled to contribute a review.

Run by a husband and wife team, it is a small restaurant. The décor is simple and inviting.

Although French cuisine is a minority player amongst our favorites, we do very much enjoy it when we have it. The menu is not extensive, but very nice in terms of selections. They offer a good range of wines – mostly French – at reasonable price.

The food itself is wonderful with a focus on “classics” such as Escargot, Coq au Vin and Ris de Veau (sweetbreads) with a handful of specials offered. I started with classic Escargots… heavenly in their utter simplicity. Next, a green salad, misted with that subtle Dijon dressing.

For the main course, I had my old favorite, sweetbreads. They were expertly prepared… melt-in-your-mouth tender with a nice little crust, plated with a beautiful calvados/crème sauce. My wife enjoyed the sautéed Triggerfish, also perfectly done buerre blanc.

Dessert was profiteroles drizzled with a dark chocolate sauce carrying a hint of Grand Marnier.

Overall, a terrific meal complemented by friendly, warm and attentive service.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

91% Recommend
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We visited while on vacation, recommended by family. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but once through the door you are in for a treat.

Welcoming atmosphere and great service. The food was delicious and the $30 4 course meal was a steal!

We were even visited by the friendly chef.

Highly recommended, yum!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Nashville
“Don't miss this one -- wonderful food, service and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

An authentic and charming French bistro in a strip mall? Improbable, but Fort Myers has just that, and it well worth a detour. This small (French) family restaurant is run with great attention to detail, with knowledge and appreciation of food and with respect for the diner. We have come here several times and left with a sense that this is a remarkable place, the sort that you read about in travel magazines but rarely -- if ever -- seem to find.

On our last visit we had the bouillabaisse and roasted duck. The duck was crispy and beautifully flavored, the bouillabaisse was exceptional, I never have had better. The salad was also terrific, as was the bread (I am a bread fanatic). For dessert you must have, as we did, the crème brulee, the crust of which is crisped at your table to form a light glaze. The result is the best I have ever had of this dish. Only one item disappointed, which was the lobster appetizer prepared with garlic in the manner of escargot -- it seemed to me that it was a bit over cooked so that we lost some of the lobster flavor.

The wine list is excellent. I recommend the vouvray which was priced at about $33, a very good value considering the quality.

If you go, you will be warmly welcomed and received. We sent our children and spouses last year (while we sat for the grandchildren) and their visit was actually remembered.

Prices are extremely reasonable for the quality; there is currently a $30 three course prix fixe which is a super value. The ambiance is charming, conversation is comfortable (tables are not too close to each other) and the atmosphere is personal and welcoming. This is one of very few restaurants that will remain in my memory.

• Visited January 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Celebrate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We go to Blue Windows a few times a year--usually for special occasions--and it's always a fun and festive evening. The location isn't fancy, but the interior is charming and cozy. The service is warm--not too formal or too informal. The wait staff is knowledgable and seem to be proud of the food they serve. The proprietress is very charming and keeps things running smoothly. But of course, one of the reasons we go out to eat is the food, and Blue Windows has a wonderful French bistro-style menu with seasonal specials. I love their sweetbreads--I would lick the calvados sauce off the plate, if no one was looking. Other dishes we’ve enjoyed include the coq au vin, steak frites, veal stew, and lamb chops. They have a nice selection of French and American wines and their appetizers are very appetizing. Their prices are very reasonable considering the quality of the food. I highly recommend.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great place for Mommy's night off!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Some close friends recommended this place for dinner while I was in Ft. Myers. I was in town enjoying my first weekend off from Mommy duty! This place was EXACTLY what I was looking for during my kid free weekend!

This quaint little bistro offered a fabulous wine list, exceptional menu and friendly/knowledgable staff. I truly wanted everything on the menu however I settled for foie gras as a starter and coq au vin as my entree. The server recommended a glass of sauternes with my foie gras which was very much appreciated.

The foie gras was easily some of the best I've ever had. It was a simple preparation that truly showed how wonderful foie gras is without having to do much to it. The coq au vin was also out of this world. I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable foodie and my first foodie experience came when I was a child and a neighbor made me coq au vin for the first time. This dish truly brought me back to my childhood and I could not get enough!!!

I heard this place was not kid friendly. As a parent it is not a place I would take my 1 year old simpy because it is a small bistro and it is just more of a place for a grown up meal and conversation. Bottom line, you will never see my kid there, until she is old enough to appreciate it, because it will definitely be my Mommy's night out restaurant. I can't wait for my next trip to Ft. Myers!!!!