“Very Well Renovated Estate” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 94 things to do in Fort Myers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors to the Edison & Ford Winter Estates in Fort Myers will enjoy seeing the winter residences of famous inventors Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. There are historical buildings, award-winning gardens, the Edison Botanic Research Lab and the Inventors Museum. The museum has hundreds of inventions, artifacts and special exhibits. Edison Ford offers many tour options, including special "Inside the Homes" and "Inside the Laboratory" Tours on select days. The audio tour is available in English, Spanish, German and French. Historian led tours are also offered in German and Spanish on select days. Group tours can be arranged in advance. River cruises are offered daily and dining options are available, including waterfront dining.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Wilton Manors, Florida, United States
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Very Well Renovated Estate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great time at the Ford and Edison Winter Estate, the Compound is Very Well Maintained, the Audio Tour was Very well planned, I was very impressed to see how Edison and Ford Lived so many years ago, There was a $20. Fee to Enter

Visited April 2013
1 Thank TobyBlades

Fort Myers, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Pricey, but worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have not toured the entire estate, because the tour prices are a bit high for us ($25+/person). But when we had out of town guests recently, we elected to tour the museum only ($14/person) and while that admission for a museum-only tour seemed a bit pricey to me, I would say it is worth it. If you are a history buff at all, this place is heaven. So much to see, we spent over 3 hours there and could have easily stayed longer. The museum is self guided unless you bite the bullet and take the tour as part of the whole package (pricier), which includes the estates, the gardens, etc. but for the museum price, you get to see all the amazing and extensive collections from both Edison and Ford, you learn many details of their personal lives, plus you get to tour the lab, which is interesting, though not quite as fascinating as I expected. We ate lunch at the little food court. Prices were decent, selection was limited, but you do get to dine al fresco, which is wonderful on this beautiful property. Overall, I would recommend it and we will probably go back and invest the $25/person to see the whole estates sometime in the future.

Visited February 2013
EdisonFord, Public Relations Manager at Edison & Ford Winter Estates, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for visiting us and for your TripAdvisor comment! The museum really is a great way to spend a couple hours on its own! So glad you enjoyed it. The Museum & Laboratory ticket is $12 for adults and $5 for children 6-12. We do recommend coming back to see the riverside property, where you can dive even deeper into the lives of these two men who helped shape American history! Thank you again for your comment.
Vellinge, Sweden
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very nice day trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had a very nice, interesting and educational daytrip to Edison and Ford winter estates in Fort Myers. We learned a lot about Edison's inventions, we actually had no idea how many inventions he has made. We took the audio self guided tour, that was nice so you can walk around in your own pace. The garden were nice but I wish we had been there during spring or summer so it would have been even more beautiful. The palm-lined street just outside is amazing. There are no food sold inside.

Visited January 2013
Minnesota
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Going back in time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is definately worth the time to visit. I don't always like these types of attractions but this was so unique and such a piece of history that I found myself falling behind the others in my group as I checked everything out more closely. I could have spent more time there. I never knew these two great men were close until I visited this. I found it extremely fascinating. It really was like going back in time.

Visited March 2013
Newport Beach, CA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Beautiful estates, low-key”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a very relaxing stroll around the grounds, and there is a self-guided audio that tells you all about each stop along the way. It was nice being able to walk anywhere you wanted on the grounds without having to just stay on the path. It was peacful, beautiful landscaping (and there were signs so you knew what the plants were - nice touch!), and it was interesting to see the houses. There were interesting videos as well in one of the cottages and back in the museum itself. It was pretty amazing to realize all the things that Edison was involved in and to see all the old pictures. Very much worth the time!!!

Visited April 2013