“FBC Leesburg, FL senior trip to Ft. Myers” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 52 attractions in Fort Myers
Type: Historic Sites, Gardens
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Visitors to the Edison & Ford Winter Estates in Fort Myers will enjoy 20 acres of historical buildings, historic gardens, the Edison Botanic Research Lab and the Estates Museum. The newly restored buildings include the Edison Main House, Guest House, and Caretaker’s House and the Ford House. The 1929 historic landscape is throughout the property including the award winning Moonlight Garden. The Estates Museum has hundreds of inventions, artifacts and special exhibits.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Leesburg, Florida
“FBC Leesburg, FL senior trip to Ft. Myers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The guided tour of the estates and lab were very nice. Our guide, Justin, did an excellent job of explaining the various locations and what life was like during the times of Ford and Edison.

We were disappointed in the Banyan Cafe - thought this would be a nice, air-conditioned location for our folks to enjoy lunch, but found out it was an open air lunch cart type of eating place. We opted to go somewhere else to eat -- was very glad I had not bought boxed lunched prior to our visit. I think it would be money well spent to put in a nice, air-conditioned snack place on site.

Fortunately, there were other restaurants nearby in a small strip mall just down the road. Our folks had a choice of Subway, a Chinese restaurant or Fresh Water. It was nice having numerous choices all within walking distance of each other. Our group was able to split up and not overwhelm any one business during the lunch rush.

Punta Gorda
11 attraction reviews
“Christmas Memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I love to tour this place during the Christmas holidays, takes me back in time when I was a child and went downtown and saw all the department store windows themed decorated

Visited December 2011
Dallas, Texas
“Back in Time - but not Ritchy-Ritch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a beautiful spot. Nice, well kept gardens and the homes are strikingly simple with lots of outside living space. Except for the swimming pool (from 1910), it's lacking the ostentaciousness that we see so often from estates of the wealthy these days.
I would have loved to be an invited guest back then.

Tallahassee, Florida
7 attraction reviews
“Pleasant trip back into time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I liked the self guided tour which allowed me to wander at my own rate. I would suggest that like Edison and Ford this be a winter or early spring activity as it was quite hot when I was there. There are plenty of opportunities to cool off though because there are fans, and air conditioned stops along the way. The grounds are beautiful and the tour informative. Will visit again in the winter. The banyon tree was spectacular, as was the view.

Maryland
13 attraction reviews
“Should of gone years ago..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Been to Ft Myers many times now, and it's the first time I decided to go to the Edison & Ford Winter Estate. The homes are beautiful, and the gardens remarkable. Nice friendly staff, and the part I love the most is when the guide was taking us across the street, he told us feel free to walk around, (none of this You Must Stick To The Path stuff). Take it at your own pace, sit on a bench and look out at the water. You will really feel you stepped back in Edison and Fords time.

Visited September 2012