“An average hotel in a TERRIBLE part of town. The area really hurts this property” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Fort Myers Downtown Historic

Save 10-30%
Ranked #29 of 61 Hotels in Fort Myers
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

The hotel itself is not too bad, I've been stuck in much worse. Unfortunately the surrounding area is terrible. If this is "Historic Fort Meyers", they have a LOT of work to do.

The staff was very accomodating as we had to change rooms to get a different bedding configuration after check in. One of the few bright spots of the stay.

The room was fairly clean, with some updating. The Dunkin Donuts next door was handy.

There is NO reason to stay in this part of town. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Myers Downtown Historic, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
YepBeenThere,

Thank you for your recent stay, and providing feedback. It is unfortunate the area surrounding the hotel affected your experience. I am please to see aside from our location you did enjoy your stay. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Had to be one of the worst hotels I stayed at in Flordia. First when I checked in they gave me a occupied room. Next when we were sleeping our neighbors decided to start fighting at about 2am. After listening to this for about 30 min we called the front desk, which they tried to get them to settle. that went on for about another hour. But then oh no this doesn't end about 3 am there was a pool party to which our window was right next to. Called the front desk again to complain, and they said that it was ok for them to be in the pool (screaming) at 3 am. We got up and checked out because our plane was leavimg at 630 am. No apologies no nothing. This hotel is not for people that want to sleep at night. Will not be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Myers Downtown Historic, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear betponygal,

I am deeply sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and the inconvenience the noise caused you. We do our best to keep all guests comfortable. Your comments and feedback are very valuable as they help us determine what areas need improvement.

Katie J
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

The hotel itself is difficult to rate. It's in the process of being renovated, which in and of itself is fine, but it was overbooked the night we arrived and they were prepared to send me to another hotel. When I explained that was unacceptable, they accommodated me.

The room was clean and fairly updated. We asked for fresh towels and that request was ignored.

However, the major problem with the hotel is the location - it's NOT in Historic Fort Myers...it's NEAR there - but you would be crazy to walk from the hotel to the nice part of town. The area surrounding the hotel is pretty scummy - not as scummy as it is about 1/2 mile down the road - but you wouldn't want to walk around there at night. There is a Dunkin Donuts right next door - that was nice.

The restaurant attached to the hotel is, well - not very nice. To give you an idea, there is a tinsel curtain hanging from the wall. 1970 style.

I'd probably have given it three stars, even with the overbooking and tinsel curtain...but the neighborhood is just awful. This Holiday Inn is WAY overpriced for the neighborhood.

Avoid it if you can.

Room Tip: The 4th floor doesn't have an ice machine currently
Dear Darth_JJ,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. I am glad to hear the hotel was able to accommodate you. I am pleased you enjoyed your clean updated room. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy the hotels location. Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I don't know Fort Myers that well, but I find it hard to believe that this is the historic downtown. It's a very lousy area. Other than the CVS and Dunkin Donuts next door, the only other thing you can see are bail bond shops and pawn shops. The buildings in the area are all in crappy shape, low income housing all around and no food nearby. I didn't even feel safe walking around the area.
In addition, the hotel is still under renovation, the staff is not particularly nice, the coffee ran out most days by 7:30am and they didn't care, and most of the equipment in the fitness room is broken. Good points are that the hotel is clean, the staff at the bar/restaurant are very pleasant. For the same money, there are plenty of nicer hotels in better areas. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Fort Myers Downtown Historic, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Dear Pennylose,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,
Jupiter, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

When we checked in we were given a room with two double beds. When I called down to the front desk to let them know we had reserved a King room she rudely said we're sold out so basically too bad. We then proceeded to use the safe and it didn't work. I let them know at the front desk but asked if they would come later. When we arrived back in the room after the pool we found two men in their with the safe torn apart who the stated they were working on it. My husband had to ask them to leave and said never mind about fixing it. prior to going to the hotel I had inquired about their hotel shuttle to be sure we would have transportation to a nearby restaurant that evening. We were assured that hey had a free shuttle for within five miles. When we arrived we again inquired about the shuttle and was told yes they had one. At 6pm that evening we were ready to go to dinner and went to the lobby to catch the shuttle where we were told rudely he just went home. But we could walk one mile to the Riverfront.
By far the entire staff was the most rude and unfriendly I have ever encountered at a hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Do notebook at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Fort Myers Downtown Historic, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear CindyL052629,

I was disappointed to read your review following your recent stay with us. I was sorry to hear staff services did not meet your expectations. We will review with the staff to avoid similar situations in the future. Please accept my apology on this issue. We hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Kingston, Ont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We (family of 3) stayed here for four nights. We stayed 2 nights upon flying into Fort Myers and then two nights prior to our flight out about a week later.

We had a nice room with comfy beds. Everything was clean and the room included a fridge, microwave and flat screen TV. Free coffee in the lobby for guests that ran out often in the mornings. A friendly reminder was all that was needed. There were some renovations going on but nothing that was a problem.

The pool is nice and great for kids. It is not very deep ... 5 ft at the center and shallowing towards the pool deck. My son used the tiny exercise room to do a minor workout on a weight machine.

Although the hotel is advertised as being in the downtown it is not actually in the downtown but on the edge of downtown (a bit sketchy). We still used our car to go to the downtown area (5 minutes) which has great eating locations and was the place to be on St Patty's day. The downtown streets are all interlocking brick which was a nice touch and some of the old buildings are fixed up and look great. For a quick thin crust pizza try Downtown Pizza. It was recommended by a local and it did not disappoint.

Finally, as we sadly discovered, the Red Sox do not play at City of Palms park anymore so a former 5 min walk to watch the Sox play Spring Training games is now a 30 min drive from this hotel. Parking at the Jet Blue Stadium is $10 and you have to drive there. It is near the airport (RSW). Do not get lawn seats at this new park as you will be looking through a fence when seated (unless you sit up and peer over the top).

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I knew from the moment I tried to check in, that this hotel was going to be an issue. Let's just say that I had a lot of issues at the front desk. They would not honor the rate that I booked (months in advance) and told me they were sold out (which I later found out was a lie, because I was later told by the manager that the hotel was only 66% occupied). The one woman trying to help us was in training and she was having difficulties and the other woman (not in training) would not come help her, the entire 45 minutes we were at the front desk. When I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that at 8pm on a Friday night, there was not a single manager on property. I work at a hotel, and I know that on a weekend night especially, there should always be a manager on a duty. 45 minutes later, and after speaking to numerous "supervisors" on the phone, we ended up in our room.

We were clearly not given a renovated room. The room was on the first floor and had tile floors, not carpeting like in the pictures. The only reason for the lack of carpeting I can assume, is that because everytime we took a shower, the water leaked from the shower, under the wall and into our room- leaving a huge pool of water in front of our door everyday. We were given a handicap room for no reason and because there was no tub, the water overflowed into the bathroom as well. The only time our bathroom did not reek out mildew was the hour or so after the housekeepers cleaned it each day. There were only two outlets in the whole room and each outlet was completely in use, leaving us no extra outlets to charge our phones - which was difficult being there for 5 days. Our hair dryer did not work, and we were told we had to go to the front desk to get a new one. When we did, they plugged it in up there to see if we were lying. They gave us a new hair dryer which was completely rusted on the inside. Our keys only worked about 50% of the time. And we had to go to the front desk numerous time for them to fix our keys.

We tried to make the best of our stay but I would not come back to this hotel, and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Fort Myers Downtown Historic, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Kelly H,

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Myers- The Forum
Crowne Plaza Fort Myers at Bell Tower Shops
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Myers - Colonial Blvd
BEST WESTERN Fort Myers Waterfront
BEST WESTERN Fort Myers Waterfro...
#1 of 4 in North Fort Myers
4.0 of 5 stars 454 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Fort Myers Downtown Historic? Share your experiences!