“An Excellent Extended Stay Hotel minutes from Sanibel Island, Fl.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 60 hotels in Fort Myers
New Milford, Connecticut
“An Excellent Extended Stay Hotel minutes from Sanibel Island, Fl.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Recently, I so enjoyed staying at the Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel Gateway hotel! Clean, smoke-free, rooms with comfortable beds and quiet hallways! Helpful, friendly staff with Carol, in particular, who suggested places for us to visit and made us feel very welcome. Large refrigerator and having enough kitchen utensils helped us. Free washers & driers were fine. Excellent location in a quiet neighborhood near a beautiful park with wildlife. Good area for walking. This hotel has earned an excellent rating!

Barbara E

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thanks for your review. We are definitely in a quiet location with the large pond behind the hotel. Our staff is very friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay comfortable.
As an extended stay property, our guests love the free laundry room and the full kitchens in every room.

418 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This has got to be the quietest hotel I have ever stayed in...very nice for sleep. I stayed in January 2013 for 4 nights. The only complaint I would have is the pool area had trash stacked up against the trash cans and it wasn't cleaned up for 2 days. Good location close to Publix and not far from Sanibel Gateway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for your comments.
Luckily we are in a secluded location away from traffic in a cul-de-sac. There are no bad rooms for road noise like some other hotels along the highway. The large pond behind the hotel that you can walk around, with the wildlife is a highlight for many of our guests. All that and just minutes away from Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel Island makes for the perfect location when in the Fort Myers area.
I apologize for the trash at the pool, we will work on keeping that area clean.
Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I spend a good 40+ weeks out of the year on the road and stay in all kinds of places, I travel on vacation too so there are some basic things that you come to expect from a hotel, one very important one is to be able to have a good night's sleep. I have stayed at this overpriced (yes I do know it's the season) Candlewood .suites the last two weeks, 4 nights each week in different rooms and the noise level from the air conditioners is ridiculously high, unbearable to me. The rooms themselves aren't bad, nor is the bed or amenities but it would have been impossible for me to sleep with the air on so I had to shut it off every night and just hope it didn't get too hot, or too cold (we had a couple of cold fronts). With taxes it was almost $175 a night for a place which should be half at most but this is America and we take advantage of the needs of the fellow man, supply and demand they call it.

Room Tip: No good rooms if you like it quiet, the a/c won't let you sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate road warriors comments and know that seasoned travelers have certain expectations at hotels they frequent. Some travelers (like me) cannot sleep unless the fan is running on the A/C, some don't like the fan noise at all, some don't like the A/C cycling on and off all night.
I am glad you liked the rooms themselves. Our Room Attendants are very proud of their clean rooms.
Just like any destination location, during spring break the prices do go up. We are still one of the lowest priced hotels in Fort Myers. However our prices also go way down during the rest of the year.
Norwich, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've never had a 3 o'clock check in so strictly enforced! We showed up at 1:30 and Carol dutifully laid down the law, but signed us for their rewards program to let us check in early. The room was fine, smelled heavily of cleaning products, but I'll take that as an encouraging sign! The only real complaint was the windows/curtains. The curtain was so short because of the air conditioner that it did nothing to prevent light from getting in. If you're up for business, great, but on vacation it was a little disappointing. Usual features that you'd expect from an extended stay hotel (weekly instead of daily cleaning, kitchen/utensils). Good location, good price for the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review.
Indeed we are in the busiest time of year with Spring Break and Major League Baseball Spring Training with the Minnesota Twins and Boston Red Sox. We are sold out just about every night. I apologize it took a while to get you in your room, but we want to make sure your room is clean and ready for you!
I hope you enjoyed your vacation to sunny Florida and beautiful Fort Myers Beach! We look forward for your stay next year.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay for 2nd year. Room was clean. Had separate bedroom which is very nice. Staff pleasant and helpful. They were always willing to replenish anything we needed between housekeeping days. Thanks to Harvey for helping us reserve for next year!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the review! Our staff is always friendly and will make your stay enjoyable. We will see you next year.
Marco Island, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I frequently stay at CS for business. I needed a place near Sanibel Island where I didn't have to pay an outrageous amount during the week of the Annual Shell Show. Most places on the island boost rates $100 during this week w/o tax. I found this relatively new hotel 12 miles from the SI Community Center. While off the beaten track for some reviewers on vacation, it met my needs. The hotel is across from the Lexington Golf community off Bass Rd. There are no restaurants within walking distance. Check-in went smoothly, although my special request for a quiet area of the hotel was met with "it's pretty good." One thing I like about the CS is the fact that the window in the room opens about 3-4" for fresh air. I agree with one of the previous reviewers that the queen bed is really a double. What makes it worse is the fact that one side is against a wall. This might be fine for a child, but not two adults. Keep this in mind if you choose a queen-suite. Called the front desk for an extra pillow and it was promptly brought up to the room. The flat screen TV has a large assortment of channels, more than most. All in all a good stay for one night. The color sceme in the hallways at this particular location does make the hotel look dreary. The room was clean. I do not like automatic climate control but prefer to have the fan running for consistent noise. I just turned this unit off because I was unable to just get the fan.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel face a natural area with water.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review.
We are in a very quiet location.
The beds are queen size, and they are a bit close to the wall. We are looking at what we can do to move the beds and the headboards that are attached to the wall.
We have a Ruby Tuesdays 3/4 of a mile which is a bit far to walk on Summerlin, which is a very busy road. Within a mile there is a Subway, a #1 Wok (Chinese), 5 Guys Burgers and Sunflower Cafe.
We are painting the hallway walls in April, we have already started in the Fitness Center and Laundry Room.
I also cannot sleep unless I have some background noise, there is a button on the thermostat on the wall that you can run the fan.
Midland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed mid-week for one night, passing through on business. Used "points" but no rooms were available for an early "priority" check in. Went out for late lunch and returned to check in (after mgmt. had left for the day).
Room was dirty. Mold on shower curtain. Soap scum on side of cabinet. Dried "mystery" fluid on wall across from toilet. (????? ew.)
Bathroom floor felt "sandy".
Bed linens were DIRTY! You could SMELL the body odor on them!
Stripped the bed of all linens and took them down to front desk for all new and had to make the bed myself.
Wanted to take advantage of on-site laundry room, but the hotel was out of laundry soap to purchase.

Because it was high season, and late in the day, checking out was not an option, and moving to another room was out of the question too. So.... we just lived with it for the night and delayed our departure just so we could meet with the manager in the a.m.

I filed a complaint on the corporate website, and customer service was quick to return our points +. The site manager promised he would follow up with us in an email to let us know what HE was going to do to address our poor stay, but it is now a full week after our stay, and still no email......

We've stayed at this facility in the past without issue. I don't think "It's high season and we're booked solid" should be code for "we don't have enough staff to take proper care of our guests".

The location is great, and it's quiet and safe. So....we'll probably give them one more try when returning to Ft. Myers. But it won't be based on this past stay!

Room Tip: Pets are allowed, so know that going in if you have allergies. AC/Heat units are loud. Rooms facin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and i apologize that we did not fully meet your expectations during your stay. I remember your situation well as I was fully involved along with my front office supervisor, and personally tried to solve your concerns. Although we take great pride in our property and cleanliness standards. Sometimes even a five star Hotel has hiccups, the goal is to fix it and solve it. It was also not mentioned in this review that the General Manager came to your Suite to first aplogize and to rectify any problems you experienced. As I remember we did credit your stay back along with adding member points, which, I thought was fair compensation for some issues. As far as follow up, my front office manager did speak to you and informed you that all credits were done. As we all know sometimes issues to arrise in the hospitality business. Our jobs in management is to assure that the customer concerns are satisfied and to prevent future occurances. Although I am quite confident that the bedsheets were fresh, if you were not satisfied with it, than we did not do our jobs. I only hope you will return and will contact me directly on your next visit to Fort Myers. I can promise you a much more enjoyable stay!

Been to Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway? Share your experiences!