“Home away from home, sometimes” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 61 Hotels in Fort Myers
Cape Coral, Florida
“Home away from home, sometimes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This place was great to stay in until we found our new home. However, if you end up staying a while, just know that some of the staff are not the friendliest. One of the female receptionist was very unfriendly, and rude and ALWAYS smelled heavily of smoke, considering this place was smoke free facility. I think her name was Carol.

The manager is very nice, the amenities are really worth it, free laundry,guest lounge with TV couch, books and stuff that was nice and comfy, banquets room, board room for meeting, and a VERY clean swimming pool which was nice.

It's a bit pricey if you staying less than 7 days but its cheaper if you stay longer. As a platinum member I thought they would give you the check in specials, but eh do NOTHING special for Priority club member, which kind of sucks. It would make it more friendly.
I would recommend it for family, since it is kid friendly, and very safe area, close to everything, and plus hospital across the street incase emergencies.

Over all this place is recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for Clark, or Felipe they are very helpful and friendly. Try not to get room on other entrance s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
We at Team Candlewood appreciate your comments about our Hotel. I personally apologize that not all of my staff was spot on in service during your stay. I will look into your comments and I am very glad to hear that most of your stay you were satisfied. I hope you return and I would love it if you call me directly on your next visit. We thank you for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Burnsville, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The hotel was very well kept, the rooms are not as large as they show in the pictures. They are actually pretty small. The pool is behind the hotel and is not in the sun, making the water pretty cold. The sun hits only a small portion of the deck. Then we ran out of toilet paper in our room and when I went to the desk to get more, they said they were out and to use tissues.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Good or bad, all guest comments help me run operations bettter. I will check the pool temperture though for the pool is a heated pool. I am also sorry about not having supplies at the desk when you asked for them, these supplies are usually stocked daily. We at team Candlewood appreciate your positive comments about the Hotel being well kept. Again, thank you for your comments and I hope you can return. You can contact me directly the next time your in Fort Myers, I can promise you a much better stay.

Dan Berben
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm giving this hotel a good rating for several reasons. For us the location was ideal, close to a lot of restaurants, near Sanibel, yet not far from the airport. The setting is kind of weird in an office park and access is a little confusing. But the property is fairly new and in good shape. Because it's an extended stay property you don't get the usual services you might assume; no continental breakfast or daily housekeeping. But that being said a full kitchen is nice and the cleanliness was great, very comfortable beds and quiet for sleeping. I thought it was weird they didn't have luggage racks which is the only thing I'd say they were lacking. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: the studios really are small, go one step up and it's not that much more money
St. Catharines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed in a room with two double beds. The room had a kitchenette with microwave, frig., coffeemaker,dishes, flatware,towels, and everything you would need for preparing or reheating simple food. Everything was very clean and ready to use.The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and the room was very quiet and easy to get a good night's sleep.The bathroom was a decent size with hairdryer and fan but the water pressure for the shower is very low and when i told the front desk Tom the maintence man quickly showed up and cleaned the pipes and replaced the shower head.The work area for the laptop and eating area is a nice size and comfortable.There is complimentary wi-fi. The pool area only has sun from 10.30 to 12.30 as the pool was built on the back side of the hotel.They should extend the deck so u could sunbath there,instead of the parking lot, it is not nice to see many seniors sunning in the parking lot.
There isa workout facility in the hotel,and there are also free laundry facilities.Across from checkin there is a room complete with all sorts of snack foods etc for purchase on the honor system. There is also complimentary coffee,tea and hotwater,This is available 24/7 If u want a newspaper u need to get down to the desk early or they will all be gone.The staff was
courteous and helpful especially Clark.

Wamego, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at this great hotel for two weeks while I was in Ft. Meyers. I had originally booked for a week and extended my stay for another week because the room was so comfortable. I had stayed my first night at America's Best Value Inn, and they wouldn't give me a discounted rate for staying for a week & then the room was dirty. I called Candlewood Suites and they were cheaper plus had a kitchen, dvd player with free dvds, free laundry, and fitness room! Harvey was the politest desk clerk and was always smiling.Clark was so helpful and was always willing to give me his advice on the area (I was looking for a place to live) even when he was busy. Clark looked some information up for me on the computer which really impressed me that he took the time to do that when he didn't have to.
The bed was very comfortable and the towels were really nice. The only negative thing that I have to say is that the water pressure in the shower was really weak. But everything else in the hotel was so nice that it is easy to overlook weak water pressure. (Although a water saver shower head would fix that problem.) And the hotel is in a very nice part of town that is quiet and the rooms were quiet. Location is also close to Sanibel Island & Fort Meyers Beach plus restaurants & shopping.
The kitchen is also well equipped and had very nice pans & skillet (stainless steel). Plus salt & pepper which most other extended stay hotels don't provide.

Room Tip: Be sure to talk to either Harvey or Clark if you need something when you stay here. They are both r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
We at Team Candlewood truly thank you for the great review. Harvey & Clark are two of our finest examples of how we take service to the next level!! We are all proud of how we take care of our guests because we realize that guests have many choices these days. Again, thank you for taking the time to write and hope you can come back soon.
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Spent 7 nights. Found the rooms clean and well equipped. Staff was friendly. This is an extended stay economy property, not luxury! The guests can be families, teams, fishermen etc. For a reasonable rate this was a good place to stay. On site gym, pool and laundry were all fine. Location was good as a base to visit sites but too far out to walk anywhere. Yes there is a gator in the pond! Overall a good stay.

Room Tip: Go for the pond view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
We thank you for trying out our Hotel and enjoying the Candlewood experience. We truly do try to create a family atmosphere for all of our guests, long or short stays. Yes, we do get an occasional guest in our pond, but it adds to the Florida experience. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a nice review, hope to see you back soon!
Pembroke Pines, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I booked my hotel room through Hotwire in November 2012 for a stay on January 11, 2013. I called Hotwire on Dec. 14th and reconfirmed. On the day of the trip, I called Candlewood informing them that I was arriving that evening around 10 p.m. to which the desk clerk stated that that would be fine. I get there around 10:30 p.m. and after waiting 20 minutes for the desk clerk to acknowledge my presence, he states that he does not have a room for me. I then call Hotwire who finally found me another hotel - A LaQuinta. Had it been in my power, I would not have ever booked a room at LaQuinta because I am not a fan of that chain. I specifically requested a hotel like Candlewood because it had a kitchenette. My friends who went directly through Candlewood did not have any issues with their reservations. I will never, ever book a room through Hotwire. I don't think hotels place any importance on reservations booked through Hotwire.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
TeamCandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I am so sorry that this happened to you, and I personally apologize! Our Hotel does have checks and balances to make sure that all reservations including all third party sites are treated the same. Because no system is perfect, on occasion we do get into a case of inventory overbooking. With that said, let me make it up to you. On your next visit to Fort Myers, please contact me directly at gm@ftmyerscandlewood.com. i promise you I will make it up to you!

Again, I am sorry for the trouble.

Dan Berben

Been to Candlewood Suites Fort Myers Sanibel / Gateway? Share your experiences!