“Great place, exceptional service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #20 of 61 Hotels in Fort Myers
London, United Kingdom
“Great place, exceptional service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Wow! Can't say enough about this hotel. The service culture was outstanding - and it ran right through every employee. Has to come from the top down so I hope it continues as it sets this place apart. We travelled from the UK and well worth it. Our spacious room in Sanibel Tower overlooked the harbour and pools - just a great view. The tennis facilities were ace and Ninka, the tennis pro, was just outstanding. While no real beach, the location is so close to local Sanibel and Captiva beaches, all accessible by the toll bridge and boat, that it made no difference. In fact the location was better as a far bigger choice of restaurants, shopping, golf courses etc on mainland. Can't wait for our next holiday!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

I had a fabulous trip to the Gulf and the Marriott Spa made it 100% better!
Very friendly and helpful staff who attended to all my family's needs, and the kids had a great time at the Kid's Club. My oldest daughter had the time of her life kayaking with my husband!
We hardly left the hotel, for there was no reason to with an amazing spa and some of the best steaks we've ever eaten.

Can't wait to come back!

Fort Myers, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Professional hospitality that was accommodating with a subtle experience from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave. Excellent all around customer service! Spent July 4th. and was thrilled with the diverse activities going on for the adults and kids. Will definitely recommend this location to friends and family for future events.

Bokeelia, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We celebrated July 4th in this great hotel. What a terrific event to recognize our country's birthday. A buffet with foods from all 13 orginal colonies, watching movies while lying in the pool at night, fireworks, beach volleyball and more.

This is a fabulous place to bring your family or for couples looking for an upscale escape at the right price. More Floridians should discover this secret..

Port Orange, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at this resort in March 2010 and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! The grounds are beautiful- gardens and walking trails and sunsets over the bay. The hotel was everything a resort should be. I stayed in Captiva Tower and had a beautiful spacious room. I also ate at both Tarpon House restaurant and Courtside Steakhouse on the property. Both were delicious! Courtside is a great place to dine for a special evening. I'm just sorry I didn't have time to visit the spa! I will definitely return as soon as possible and recommend the hotel to anyone interested in a tropical getaway!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

My wife and I recently completed a short stay at this resort. While we were disappointed were not exactly on Sanibel Island, the front desk made sure we had a wonderful water view that provided spectacular sunsets. Additionally, the room was very tastefully decorated with a comfortable king bed. The best part of our stay and the reason we would consider returning is the staff went out of their way to make our stay fantastic and memorable. From Laura the asst front desk manager, to Larry, Neil and Chris at Cabana Charley's, to all the other folks who we met but did not get a chance to get all their names - they made the stay the very best. Final thoughts - despite staying on the fifth floor, the room was nearly sound proof. The music and laughter from people enjoying one of two of their fine pools never intruded on our stay. The music played there also helped provide a great atmosphere and they provided activities for young children to enjoy (including a huge pool side movie screen) which allowed for parents to enjoy themselves without sacrificing the enjoyment for their kids.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We booked our anniversary trip over 2 months ahead of time via the internet for the Escape Package which included the following:
Dining Package, includes breakfast for 2 guests, dinner for 2 guests per night, chocolate covered strawberries per night, 1 bottle of Champagne per night

I also had a special request for:
1 King Bed, Guaranteed
Near Elevator, Request Noted
Advised Of Parking Fee, Request Noted
Resort or Service Fee Applies, Request Noted
Extra Foam Pillows, Request Noted
High Floor Room, Request Noted
Late Check-Out, Request Noted
Feather Free Room, Request Noted

During our drive to the resort, I received a call on my mobile so that I could book a dinner on the Sanibel Harbour Princess cruise. The lady recommended the Sunday noon brunch which I booked with her.

In the evening,after we arrived, it seemed that everything after check-in required us to make extra effort on our part to be comfortable here.

Keep in mind that everyone is very friendly and the resort looks great. However, it seems that requests are not followed through with the appropriate actions.

Summary of Stay:
(Friday)
1. I had to tell the concierge to provide us with breakfast and dinner tickets. If I did not ask for them, I do not believe I would have gotten them.
2. When we got to our room, our chocolate covered stawberries and champagne were not there. We had to call it in.
3. It took at least an hour to get the strawberries and champagne. However, when we got them, the strawberries were not covered in chocolate, so we called that in as well.
4. It took another hour for someone to call us to tell us that the chocolate would have to be made.
5. After an additional hour of waiting, I had to call to cancel since I was very tired and wanted to get some sleep.
6. Also, our room was not Feather free as I had requested over 2 months ago. We are allergic to feathers. Please note that under the bed you have lots of feathers.
7. I had to call in to get 4 regular pillows and some blankets.
8. The 4 down-free pillows came after one hour, but we never got the blankets.
9. After over 2 hours I had to cancel the blankets since we had to sleep. We were very cold that night.
10. I went downstairs to seek assistance but no one was there so I borrowed a phone to talk to the person in charge and she mentioned she would take 100 dollars off for our troubles. I mentioned that I hope everything was better tomorrow.

(Saturday)
11. On Saturday morning, I asked the concierge to see if we could change and book the dinner cruise on Saturday evening. I gave her my mobile number so that she could call me to inform me if the reservations were made. I had to know this critical information since I only had 2 dinner coupons and wanted to make the most of it.
12. No one called me regarding the reservations. Hence, I assumed that my reservations were not reserved.
13. In the evening, we were checking why we didn't get any calls and we found out that the Sunday brunch cruise was also cancelled. We had hoped to go on that cruise instead.
14. No one called us that the Sunday brunch was cancelled either.
15. It was frustrating to hear that one concierge mentioned that the cruise was available for Sunday brunch and another one said it was cancelled. It looks like everyone is not informed at the same time. The concierge called the question in to double check and confirmed that it was indeed cancelled.
16. I was wondering in my mind why no one called me for the Saturday reservation. It was then revealed when I got home.
17. When I reached home on Sunday evening, the dinner cruise captain called me at 6:50 p.m. (after I had already driven home) on my mobile to see if I was joining them on the boat.
18. In my itinerary, I was checking out on Sunday at noon. Why would my dinner reservations be made late in the evening on Sunday?
19. During our stay we had to tip employees for bringing us things or helping us because they were making up for the mistakes. This equaled at least $40 in tips.

However, there were a few good people that went above the call of duty.
The bus driver who worked on Saturday night asked how I was and I told him a few of our terrible experiences. He immediately talked to someone who made a fantastic dinner experience for us at the Courtside Steakhouse.

Also, another person, Jack S., went out of his way to get his personal dvd player with movies for us to borrow after hearing about our experiences.

Overall, although the food was good and some of the staff were very helpful, we had a negative experience since we could not rely on the employees to follow through on our requests. We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!