“All Good, Almost.” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #20 of 61 Hotels in Fort Myers
“All Good, Almost.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Spectacular setting. Beautiful grounds. Luxurious rooms. Comfort, cleanliness. Complimentary coffee in the room and in the lobby. Amazingly friendly staff. Food was not as good as one would have expected. Self-parking at $12.00 a day seemed expensive, especially when it was quite difficult to find a spot. If the food had been top notch, we would not have wanted to leave.

Room Tip: The rooms in Captiva Tower are bigger and just remodeled.
Green Features: They boast of their environmental practices, but the maids changed the towels every day even though we hung them up for re-use.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tom C, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Hi Paul G,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our resort with the TripAdvisor Family. It is always great to hear how beautiful the resort property is and how well it is maintained.

In addition we appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the properties food quality. Feedback such as this helps us improve our offerings and services every day. We thank you again for choosing to stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Your Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband, sons and I stayed at the Marriot Sanibel Resort last week, our first time on vacation at Christmas. Overall, the visit was excellent (friendly staff, gorgeous views, delicious food, clay tennis courts with shaded benches and coolers) but we also had a couple of disappointments: 1) there were no recycle bins in common areas or in rooms. I was told when I asked about this that the hotel has begun its pursuit of "Green" certification and has 1 out of 4 "palms" (ie. stars). I hope they move quickly on this, as it's 2013 and seeing so many recyclable plastic and glass containers in the trash upset me and 2) we had to ask 4 or 5 times to have stiff scratchy "army-style" blankets replaced on our son's roll away bed.

I would recommend to others and return, but only when this "green hotel" is much greener!

• Stayed December 2013
Hi Sheryl M M,

Thank you for choosing to spend the Holiday Season with us at the Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa. We appreciate the great comments about the friendly staff, delicious food, and new clay tennis courts. We are happy that you had an excellent visit with us and were able to enjoy some of the resorts many amenities. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. We hope to have the chance to be of service in the future. Thanks again for choosing to stay.

Londonderry, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed here for the first time over Christmas, 2013. Overall, the resort is nice, well kept and the staff is pleasant. However, as Marriott resorts go, this is not one of the better ones. It is good, not great. When we booked, we really did not understand that there are two different towers that are actually a half mile apart (give or take). We were in Captiva Tower, which is almost like staying at a Motel Six with a nice pool. The room was adequate and the balcony large, but the bathtub was dirty (dark wear and tear stains that looked awful), there was rot on the bottom of a door jamb. Not horrific, but not what you expect at a Marriott resort. The main building and grounds were very nice, but for those in Captiva, you had to walk or wait for a shuttle to get there. At Captiva, there is not an on site eatery of any type, no hotel bar. It did have a nice pool, but the hot tub was filled with dirt and plants (not used anymore). If you wanted to use that, you had to take a hike up to the main tower. If I could give the managment one suggestion, I'd say create a way to make Captiva more aligned to the rest of the resort or make it very clear that guests at Captiva are getting a lesser experience. I'd open up the hot tub, create a small bar or offer something so guests can enjoy an evening cocktail, and clean up the rooms. On the high end, dinner at the Courtside Steakhouse was sensational.

Room Tip: Be very clear that you want the main tower. If not, go elsewhere.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi adsvcu,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your thoughts and feedback with us and the TripAdvisor Traveling Community. Please except our apologies that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us as we look to improve our resort daily to make each guests stay exceptional. In addition, please know that your comments have been addressed.

Your Sanibel Marriott Resort & Spa Team
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I can't vouch for all the amenities but for our quick stay on Christmas eve, everything was wonderful. I found a price on priceline the day of our arrival and called the hotel with the rate. They matched it right away with no problem. We didn't arrive until almost 11 that evening and were greeted by a friendly staff. We were upgraded to a suite in the main building so we wouldn't have to go any farther than necessary (the desk said I looked tired…I hate that but if it gets me a room upgrade, perfect!)
previous reviews said dated rooms? Not at all. I stay in Marriotts all the time and I thought the room was beautiful. We had a kitchenette and table, couch, 2 flat screens…and a beautiful water view over the pool. I wish we could have stayed longer! If I can get a great rate like that I can I will definitely be back! Thank you for a great stay!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi flygirl6393,

Thank you for going out of your way to write this review for our property. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay on Christmas Eve. We look forward to the chance to welcome you back as a repeat guest and hope you have time on your next trip to truly enjoy all of the great amenities our resort has to offer. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. We hope to see you again.

Your Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa Team
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised when we checked in we were upgraded to a suite! Room was nice minus the bathroom sink must have a clog because it drained very slowly which is kinda gross and pillow from couch had a bird poo stain on it. Pool was great. Staff was all super friendly. Views were absolutely amazing! Would def visit again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Tom C, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Hi Tara M,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the waterfront pool and that the team members on property were great, however disappointed that there were inconsistencies with our housekeeping team. Please know that your issues have been addressed. We look forward to the chance to welcome you back to enjoy the great views and wonderful customer service our property offers. Thanks again for being a loyal Marriott traveler.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last month for a week long honeymoon vacation, after visiting 2 years ago we knew we had to come back. Everything was perfect! We especially love Charley's cabana bar, it's tapas so there isn't a ton to choose from on the menu but everything is delicious so it doesn't matter. Our server was even nice enough to offer to go get the soup from Tarpon House for my husband one evening, despite being extremely busy. Our drink of choice the entire week was the Sanibel Sunburn, SO GOOD. Yes things are a bit pricey but that's to be expected when staying at a resort, I didn't think they were overpriced in relation to other resorts. All of the employees we encountered were so nice and helpful, I can't recall any of their names. The pool is beautiful and so is the view from the balcony. This is the place to stay when visiting Sanibel for sure, I couldn't imagine staying on the island.

Room Tip: rooms ending in -66 seem to be in a great location, although right off the elevators and by the ice...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Tom C, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Hi Angelrose227,

Paradise! Is right. We thank you for going out of your way to share your awesome feedback with the TripAdvisor Traveling Community. We’re thrilled that you were able to spend your honeymoon vacation with us and that you were able to enjoy all our resort has to offer. We look forward to seeing you soon for a quick weekend trip to the Gulf Coast. Please know your referral is our biggest compliment. Thanks again for choosing to stay and congratulations on your recent marriage.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

It's been about 10 years since I stayed at this hotel after consecutive visits to Sanibel between 1999-2002, At that time, you could also reserve units in the one of the two condo buildings next door, but these are now privately owned. That experience was heaven: huge units, all the amenities, and wrap around, screened-in balconies that overlooked the Gulf. The units had a pool and a separate beach area,

Fast forward and some things have remained the same The staff remain fantastic: friendly, professional, and helpful. The grounds are well kept. The meals were amazingly good at the on-site restaurants. And that view....priceless.

But I agree with many of the downsides expressed by other reviewers:

1. The daily resort fee COMBINED with the parking fee seemed high to me, even though I know the hotel has had this in place since forever. Perhaps the difference is that the last time I was there, I felt I had gotten my money's worth.

2. I was upgraded to a huge room that I was quite please with, except sections seemed worn (dirty wall trim), mold on the undersides of the toilet.

3. The most annoying thing was that blasted music playing throughout the hotel. Sometimes you just want to eat tin peace; don't look here to find it.. I could see if this was a hotel with pool parties and games held throughout the day. But at 9am for breakfast or 8pm for dinner, most diners (particularly those eating outside) would prefer to hear their conversations, or nothing at all, rather than the music playing at top volume. It felt like a desperate move. And I wasn't the other guest commenting about the music!

Finally, the spa, once the crown jewel of this hotel, was just so-so. The space is dark, the lounge area is barren and awkwardly located where clients and staff are traversing to go into other areas. There was a skimpy bamboo-like screen set up for the privacy of those resting in the lounge, but I don't think it helped much. Moreover, there seemed to be only a couple of clients the day I visited. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I did wonder why there seemed to be so little business. On a positive note,like the hotel, the staff were warm and friendly and several were long-time employees who had been there when I last visited.

All in all, i miss the solitude of the past, but do believe the hotel is a good bargain for those who may not want to spend $$$ at some of the more costly local hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hi Donna G,

Thank you for making a return trip to our resort. It is truly our great team members that keep making repeat guests year after year. The feedback you provided is especially helpful for us to continue to create a welcoming environment for all of our guests. Please know that your comments and concerns have been addressed. We look forward to the chance to welcome you back to see the continuous improvements to our resort. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Sanibel Island.

Your Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa Team

Been to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!