“Nice resort w/ some downfalls” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 15% off + More
Ranked #19 of 60 hotels in Fort Myers
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice resort w/ some downfalls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I am staying at the Sanibel Harbour Marriott for five nights with my wife while she attends an ultrasound conference. This is a very nice property and a pricey place to stay, but you may find yourself spending just as much on food/drink as you did on your flight/hotel room. Hopefully my review can help you save money with some of the logisitical things I was trying to figure out before we came down.

1. RENT A CAR. Our biggest regret was not renting a car for our entire stay. We decided to take the cab from the airport to the resort. I'd looked in to booking ahead of time and found that it was going to cost about $50 regardless to go one-way to the resort from the Ft Myers airport. A basic rental car would be about $200-$230 for 5 nights and then they charge you $12/night at the resort to self park your car, so $230 + 60 + gas (est. $40) = $330 or thereabout. What you need to know is this resort is extremely isolated. If you want to see anything else in the Ft Myers area (Ft. Myers beach, Naples, Sanibel Island, etc.) you will either need a car or have to take a ridiculously overpriced taxi. Instead of spending the $300+ to rent a car at the airport, we decided to take the airport taxi (about $100 round trip) with the plan of just staying on the resort. Maybe I'm just cheap and you have lots of money, but after a couple days of paying exorbitant resort prices for food and drinks, we decided that we needed to find a liquor/grocery store. We asked the front desk guy and he got us a cab to the local Publix for a $25 round trip fee. Nice to get some needed supplies/snacks and after spending $8-12/drink for a couple days by the pool this seemed like small potatoes. The next day we wanted to see Ft Myers beach and broke down and rented a car from the resort for one day (rental is available onsite through the concierge, but it's more expensive). For a day the rental Jetta wagon cost $65 plus the $10 in gas we used. This at least allowed us to see some more of the area (Ft. Myers Miracle game and Ft. Myers beach area...both fun) and restock our disposable cooler. Basically, what I'm telling you is it might look a little more expensive to rent the car, but it is worth it.

2. FOOD OPTIONS ARE LIMITED The resort has an ice machine, but no vending machines. The first night we actually grabbed ice to melt it so we would have water overnight. Another reason to grab a car is so that you can pick what restaurants around the area you want to try. The Ft Myers/Sanibel area has a lot of restaurants that looked good, but if you have no transportation you will have to eat on the resort grounds. The resort has an upscale steakhouse (didn't try it), Tarpon House (good $13 burgers), and Charley's Cabana Bar. Sitting at an outside table at Charley's they allow you to order from the Tarpon House. Charley's basically has drinks and a few appetizers and flatbread pizzas (some better than others). Service was friendly and for the most part very good.

3. GET THE OCEAN VIEW ROOM The first two nights I was in a resort view room on the fifth floor. The room was fine, but the view was of a roof and some trees.... What I'm getting at is the room I changed to on the seventh floor facing the water was much much better. I'll throw some pictures up to give you an idea. Flat screen HDTV seems like something every hotel would have by now, but I know many do not. This resort does have nice LG 37" TVs with some channels in HD, including HBO if you want movies at night. "Complimentary" WiFi is included in the $15/day resort fee that will be added to your bill. This also covers your usage of the tennis courts, gym, basketball court, towels, etc. Beds are on the firm side, but acceptable. There is a mini-bar in the room, but no other refridgeration unit.......maybe in the nicer rooms, but not in any of the three rooms I've been in.

4. SWIMMING There are two main pools. The bigger pool is a little busier (maybe because it's closer to the bar). There is a hot tub near the main pool and plenty of chairs for suntanning. The pool is 4 feet deep at its deepest point. Pools were refreshing, but more designed for a quick dip than an actual swim. I thought maybe there would be a swimming beach, but there is not. There is shoreline, but it's full of seaweed and nobody swims there. Also, all pools and the hottub close at 8 (although I saw people in both well past 8 and nobody hassled them)

WHAT I LIKE

1. Beautiful spot. The view of the bay from anywhere is picturesque. This is a beatiful part of the world and this is certainly what you're paying for here. The lobby is spectacular.

2. Great staff. The staff has been awesome. Everyone I've dealt with from the valets to the desk staff to the concierge has been smiling and happy to help.

3. Wildlife. There are dolphins surfacing at dusk each day right off the dock! If you're from Florida and see them all the time, maybe this isn't quite as cool. For a Minnesotan who has suffered through a long winter, I thought seeing dolphins, pelicans, and gekkos on or near the shore was cool.

Overall, it's been an expensive, nice, relaxing couple of days. I wouldn't stay here again (unless my wife had another conference here), but I've enjoyed my time. Fun level to money spent quotient just isn't quite adding up for me personally. Hope I've helped. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jahangir H, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear PasqualWisdom,

Thank you for your thorough review of our property, staff, and amenities. We are very glad that you found our newly renovated lobby, picturesque views, happy staff, and abundant wildlife to be lasting impressions of your stay with us.

We do hope that you will consider visiting us again the next time you are in beautiful southwest Florida.

Kind Regards,

763 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Roseville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We booked our room in March for our May trip and knew our flight was going to get in very late so I added a note to the hotel advising them and requesting that they hold our room. Our flight was delayed several hours and I called to advise the hotel around 6 PM from Chicago. The woman with whom I spoke said they would hold our room for us regardless of our arrival. We arrived at 1:45 AM, exhausted, only to be told by a snotty front desk woman that they were overbooked and had given away our room. When I reminded the very rude, abrupt, and unsympathetic worker that we had called earlier that evening to advise them of our flight delay, and that they had promised to hold our room, the worker smirked at me and said almost gleefully that she had not gotten that message. She then refused to do anything to make our situation better and sent us on our way to the (much less nice) Residence Inn several miles down the road and nowhere near the beach. I have never been treated so poorly by a hotel clerk in my life, and considering my husband and I are Marriott Gold members, it was a horrible experience to have after a very bad travel day. If you are planning a trip here, you'd better have a back-up plan. This resort clearly sees customers only as revenue streams.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear FPepoon,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you had during your visit, and would like to invite you to contact me directly to discuss the details of your experience. We value any feedback that we receive from our guests as it helps us to identify things that we need to improve in our service or our property.

You may contact me at gm1461@columbiasussex.com, or by calling the hotel at (239) 466-4000.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. It is great for people who like $12 glasses of wine and having to drive to the beach or an off-site restaurant.

The first night we stayed in our friend's room on the 10th floor. They had arrived 2 days before us and made sure that our room was booked on the same floor. Went to check in and they put us on floor 5 and said that they didn't have anything on 10. A manager magically got us on the 10th. At the time of check-in I was asked for a card for 'incidentals'. Since I had an email confirmation that I had paid for the 'advance purchase rate, prepay in full' I gave her my debit card. The morning that we checked out I received a receipt saying that they had charged my debit card in FULL-$585. I called down to the front desk and had it changed, however now there is a 3 day visa hold on my card. Excuse me, Marriott, can I hold $585 of YOUR money? I promise I'll give it back!

I emailed them through the site and was told that they couldn't find my reservation. HA! IT keeps getting better.

Rooms were clean, property is pretty. Not worth the price. You can stay ON Fort Myers Beach for cheaper.

Dear Jane M,

Thank you for posting a review of our resort. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and incorrect charge on your debit card.

I regret that we did not live up to your expectations and that you didn't find value in our property. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around.

Should your travels bring you back to Fort Myers and Sanibel, we hope that you will return and give us a chance to make your stay more enjoyable.

Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I live in Paradise - Sarasota, Florida - and take seven to ten Florida staycations each year. We are lucky to have so many resort communities within such a short distance from which to choose. We bought two nights at the Saniel Harbour Resort through Florida Vacation Auctions and then paid to upgrade to the Sanibel Tower Executive Suite.

The sofa was hugely uncomfortable but was the only seating available as there was no side chair. The coffee table was unrealisticly small and offered only a tiny amount of space for drinks and such. There was no table seating in the unit. None. Even a small two person would have made the sofa situation more bearable. The only tables were on the balconies - small and low. There was also a lack of artwork in the unit. The living room area just seemed barren.

The bedroom, overall it was nice, but the after arriving at six and immediately heading out to dinner, it wasn't until late at bedtime that I realized there was a hole in the bottom sheet - NOT ACCEPTABLE. I reported this to the front desk the next morning. (We're pretty "green" and usually don't ask for clean sheets and towels on a two-night stay.) The front desk staff apologized and said it would be corrected. After a day spent biking on Sanibel, I was looking forward to a refreshing nap before enjoying the resort amenities for the remainder of the day. A small box of dried fruit had been sent to our room as an apology for the torn sheets - nice touch. But surprise, surprise, surprise, the bed had been remade, but the SAME TORN SHEET was still in place. My husband went to the front desk to report it. The housekeeping supervisor and housekeeper came to the door. I explained the situation, all the while the housekeeper INSISTING she had changed the sheet. She then came in to "really" change the sheets and rumbled and banged and grumbled the entire time. This made both my husband and I quite uncomfortable!

The grounds were lovely, the doormen were nice, our server, Alex (from Argentina, as there were two named Alex) was proficient and did a fine job. The front desk employees were also always smiling and friendly - though there was no further follow up on the sheet situation.

Unfortunately, the inadequate room furnishings, poor quality linens and bad housekeeping service will keep me from ever recommending the Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort to any friends or family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jahangir H, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear AliBamaGirl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Sanibel Harbour Marriott experience on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you highlighting the positives of our resort, including our lovely resort grounds and friendly staff.

It is clear from your review that your displeasure resulted from your suite not being up to your expectations. I regret that you found our newly designed and decorated rooms in the Sanibel Tower to be barren, and I apologize that it took more than one attempt to replace the torn sheet after you requested that it be changed.

Please know, that we appreciate your feedback, and wish your stay was more enjoyable.

If you have any other items you would like to discuss about your visit, please feel free to contact me directly.

(239) 466-2120
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were at the hotel for four days for a conference. Every member of the staff was cordial and helpful. Our room and the common areas were very well cared for. The pool area is large with lots of seating. We had very good meals around the pool and at the bar. However, we had a banquet meal (crab cakes) that was fair. Our group had a boat ride one evening--the boat was nice but a number of us got no food. Be aware there are parking fees ($12 to park yourself! and $20 for valet parking)...a built in revenue generator and resort fees that add on to the cost of the room...another built in revenue generator. These extra fees and the food experiences knock the hotel down by one star.

Room Tip: Colleagues in the Towers were not as pleased as those of us who stayed in the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mark H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at our resort on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to learn that everyone you came in contact with was cordial and helpful!

After researching your stay, we discovered your boat trip was a catered affair. We are aware of the lack of food and the Catering Manager for your group has been in touch with the groups meeting planner.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to hosting you and your group again in the future.

Best Regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We traveled around Fl for a week, starting at Sanibel Island, then going to Key West, and deciding to spend an evening here before our flight home to NYC from Ft. Meyers. This is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at in the US recently. and I highly recommend it. The accommodations are first class: room-excellent, view-excellent, service-excellent, food-excellent. The only down side is that it is a bit remote, but I don't think you'll mind unless you absolutely need to be in downtown Ft. Meyers.

Honestly, this place is making me rethink Marriott and puts them back on my top 3 list.

Room Tip: If you can get an upgrade to the main building go for it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jahangir H, General Manager at Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Eric M,

What a great review! Thank you for sharing you and your family's recent stay with us. We are so happy to hear that we were able to provide a memorable vacation here at the Sanibel Harbour Marriott. We certainly hope that you will visit us again soon!

Best Regards,
Cape Coral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My bride and I were married at Sanibel-Marriott 6 years ago. Normally in May we are gone cruising. However, this year we thought it would be nice to visit the Sanibel-Marriott to enjoy a weekend get-away.
We reserved an executive bedroom suite similar to the room we stayed in for our wedding weekend. When we checked-in the front desk told us the room had been renovated 4 months ago so we were quite excited to see what the new room would look like. So, to our surprise, the room was the same room we stayed in 6 years earlier.
After looking around the room, there is no way this room was renovated 4 months ago. The entry tile was cracked, the room had the typical musty hotel smell, the grout and paint in the bathroom looked well aged and the A/C in the bedroom portion of the room was barely putting out cool air.
However, the resort in and of itself in and around the guest areas was beautifully maintained. We had a relaxing Saturday around the pool with very attentive pool attendants.
We decided to stay and dine in each of the dinning options on the resort which I will review separately. Overall we were pleased at our stay.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on the executive bedroom suites. The regular, pool facing rooms are just...
Dear Daniel T,

Allow me to begin by congratulating you and your wife on 6 years of marriage!

We are honored that you chose to spend your anniversary with us and regret that your guestroom did not meet your expectations. We are happy you enjoyed our pool area and restaurants, and hope you felt like newlyweds again! We certainly hope that you will visit us again soon and when you do, I ask that you reach out to me personally as I would love to make it extra special.

Sincerest Regards,
Jahangir H.

Been to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!