“Stay in the Captiva tower for solitude” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #20 of 61 Hotels in Fort Myers
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Stay in the Captiva tower for solitude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I love this place! Very relaxing and the views of the water are unbelieable. I always stay in the captiva tower because I feel its more relaxing than the hustle and bustle of the sanibel tower. A short 2 min walk get you to the sanibel tower or call for the hotel trolley. Included in your stay is complimentary use of bicycles, the spa facilities (steam room and sauna, fishing poles for fishing the piers and much more! Also, there is a dinner cruise every night and it great as well. This place is a must!

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Estero, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The resort is undergoing some renovations over the next few months. At the time we checked in the lobby area was getting a facelift (looked great from what we could tell). The drive area on arrival is small so you may have to wait a little for traffic to clear. Check in was smooth. The bellman escorted us to the room which was clean, neat and in good shape overall. We had an east facing view from the 6th floor (not bad) however I recommend getting a west facing view of the water. I have seen complaints about the elevators and although busy we did not have to wait an unreasonable amount of time for them. The hotel does not have a beach but they do have a marina, boat rentals, the Sanibel Princess for brunch and dinner cruises, a fishing pier and multiple pools. The poolside service was very good as was the food. There were plenty of lounge chairs with umbrellas and towels available by the pool. All of the staff I came into contact with was accommodating and friendly. This resort is a gem for a weekend getaway….laid back and comfortable. I would recommend this property for families.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Highland, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I am a Marriott member and have stayed at every kind of Marriott including the Ritz Carlton down to the Fairfield Inn's. I have anyway enjoyed the service,cleanliness and comfort of each Marriott Hotel and Resort. This was not at all what I expected from a Marriott. The rooms were big and comfotable with a refrigerater and a nice balconey looking out to the harbour but the view was terriable( big noisy bride over to Sanibel Island). A lot of things were not working in the room such as lights, phones and the bathroom had plumbing problems everytime we used it. Rooms were not cleaned until late afternoon if at all. Somehow we got suck with a room in the building down the street from the main building of the resort. It had no bar or restaurant and the swimming pool was really salty. There was a suttle service available to take u over to the main building but it was never around to do so. The hallways and elevater had dirty towels and paper goods in them. I called the Marriott when I returned home to make a complaint and was told they would get back to me within 3 to 5 days . It has been almost a month and no response what so ever.

Room Tip: If u choose to stay here make sure your room is in the main building
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Neuchatel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We had driven from the Marriott World Centre in Orlando to this smaller, quieter, charming resort hotel. We had a well furnished, delightfulth location and stunning views from our waterfront room in the Sanibel Tower looking out across the many small islands and beautiful sunsets. We saw Manatee swiming from our hotel balcony, eat well in the restaurants and enjoyed the pools - family pool and tranquil pool for adults. We came away wishing we had booked to stay longer. Two areas which weren't disappointing but could not be rated excellent were 1) the restaurant service was a little slow and impersonal. A hintful tip is to visit the Outlook Mall nearby which had approx 30 stores with heavily discount named brands - a real treat for any shopper!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel was just filthy and noticeably understaffed. Our room had urine and hair on the toilet. The shower had mildew; the sink had mildew. Hallways smelled. An access panel in the shower ceiling was held in place by a wad of toilet paper. The corners behind the bathroom door had weeks of dirt and hair from not being mopped. Paint was chipped. The armoire had the top drawer removed and a painted board was hammered into place. Hair in the bed, hair all over the area under the nightstand and behind the bed. The furniture was so dirty and stained that my wife wouldn't sit on it. The desk chair was new but obviously the cheapest available.

Service was friendly but significantly understaffed. The people seemed resigned to all the problems. Our maid wouldn't speak or make eye contact. The resort fee included internet - great! Ooops, it was so slow that I couldn't even open restaurant web pages to view menus. Cut another corner; skip another detail, no one will notice.

Hotels can be old but that is no excuse for being dirty and poorly maintained. the renovation is overdue but it will only take weeks to be dirty and in dis-repair.

Trash sat in the $12 a night garage for the three days of our stay. Dirty drink cups laid everywhere on the pool deck?

I was told that Marriott franchised this hotel to another company. That was a bad idea.

We noticed that almost every corner that could be cut was. The spa signs in the elevator areas are hand made. Door signs are missing letters. Wood trim was hanging off a suite door on our floor.

The view and location deserve a real resort. This place was literally the dirtiest place I have ever seen. What a shame. Where is management or Marriott?

I have pictures and will post them later of everything described above. It became a joke to my wife as I documented this.

I called the GM twice and left messages. No return call- surprised? Can't say that I am.

I'll pay more to go to the Ritz in Naples or South Seas next year.

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Much of my review is targeted at frequent Marriott guests. This property bills itself as a resort but is really far from it. It is not on Sanibel but rather has a "view of Sanibel" from the other side. At the time of my stay, the much needed and long awaited renovation had begun. My arrival (1 night business trip with only carry on luggage) was a unique experience. My taxi dropped me off at the lobby at 7PM but the lobby no longer existed. A bellman walked me outside and up the ramp to the temporary lobby. I was greeted cordially, told I was upgraded to a suite and sent off to my room. Problem: signs printed from an HP Deskjet pointed to the elevators were taped on walls. Some of them had fallen off leaving me with little to go on. 20 minutes to my room. Entered the room...poorly serviced and unclean. Dated, badly used furniture and an inroom temperature of 79 degrees. No bottled water in room, only foam pillows. The staff was very accommodating and provided a fan and several bottles of water. Problem: water appeared on my bill as "room service" and cost $31!
No Executive lounge exists which is to be expected at Marriott resorts. In all of my stays at resorts, breakfast is provided via coupons for Marriott elite members....not so here...nothing. A cup of plain old Starbucks coffee cost $5.25....ouch!
For Marriott frequents, this property is a bitter disappointment. To add insult to this comedy of errors, the bar restaurant offers little more than poorly prepped flat breads. That is a euphemism for awful pizza,
And the last and final blow, after only a 12 hour stay from 7PM to 7AM, I was charged $15+ for a "Resort Fee"....double ouch!
In fairness, I was able to remove this charge as well as the water bill...but really? Come on now...Marrott Resorts can do much, much better than this.
For families, much of this doesn't apply. There's a great pool, friendly staff and the Florida sun. For business travelers, keep on travelin' by this hotel.

Room Tip: Find another property.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Even though the main lobby was being remodeled the hotel is very nice. We booked 2 rooms at a special rate for ocean front. Very nice and large rooms. Located right at the bridge, $6 to cross over to Sanibel Island. Pool area nice.

Room Tip: High floor for the sunset views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!