“Quirky hotel reminds me of Europe” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 60 hotels in Fort Myers
DC
“Quirky hotel reminds me of Europe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Hotel Indigo is an odd little hotel that seems squeezed into a tiny space between, around, and above other locations -- that's because it is. The hotel was built on the excess land that wasn't needed when the courthouse was built next door. As a result, it doesn't have a typical store front or lobby. The result is a European approach to maximizing space utility. I like: the style, the location, the roof bar, the staff, and the free WiFi. Regarding location: if you haven't been to downtown Ft. Myers in while, you should give it another chance. The River District as its been coined has a fun, unpretentious night life, and the Hotel Indigo is in the very center of it. Warning to light sleepers: there's also a techno club on the first floor of the hotel that plays loud music until 2am some nights -- you'll need a room at least a few floors away from it.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room. Closer to the roof-top bar (closes at 7pm) and further from the techno club...

308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Hotel and staff was nice ,barf man House great bloke ,although very under staffed as one staff member checked us in,,came to the room to fix the TV and then served me at breakfast,,!!! people just showed up behind the checkin counter as if they just came off the golf course working,,all very un professional .One thing that really annoyed me was the charging of 100$ for no reason ,,5 weeks later and many phone calls later im still waiting to be reimbursed !!very disappointing ,,not up to the professional standard as a Platitnum of both Marriott and Holiday Inn

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you can run the gauntlet of poorly trained desk staff and surly valets, you'll have a pleasant experience. Let me explain further:

1. When I arrived around 2pm, too early to check in to my room, I was given the run-around and lied to by front desk staff as to when I might reasonably expect my room to be ready. If it's the policy of the hotel NEVER to allow guests to check in prior to 3pm, guests should be told up front, so that they are not standing idly around waiting for an early check-in that isn't going to happen.

2. Valets are poorly trained, and not one that I encountered had the sort of helpful and cheerful attitude that you'd hope they'd have. Since they are customers' first human contact upon arrival, they are "on the front lines," so to speak, and make the first impression of the hotel.

Given that my check-in experience was sub-par at best, I had not high expectations of a pleasant experience. However, once the permitted check-in time had arrived, the A-team took over the desk and made check-in very easy.

The halls are narrow and cozy, like a European hotel. Rooms are well-appointed, well-furnished and spacious. Houskeeping is immaculate. Beds are comfy. Shower is roomy; towels are plush. There's a Keurig coffee maker in the room, with real crockery for your hot drinks. In short, I wanted for nothing in the way of physical comfort once I was in the room.

It's a cool place. Love the old arcade building that guests enter through. There are a couple of eateries in the arcade, and plenty of other choices nearby.

I just wish I had been treated as a valued guest upon arrival. In all honesty, I am ambivalent about returning to this property, because it's a rather pricey place to be treated so discourteously.

Room Tip: Higher floors have wonderful views of the city and river.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear RoadVet,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I am glad that you liked the room and noticed the good work by the Housekeeping team. On the other hand, please accept my deepest apologies for the unsatisfactory service you received upon check-in. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Excelsior, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

As my boyfriend had proposed at the Hotel Indigo in San Diego (fabulous hotel!) we thought it would be sweet to spend our wedding night at the Hotel Indigo of Fort Myers.
We arrived late in the evening after the wedding. The front desk clerk was on the phone and only acknowledged us by holding up an index finger while talking on the phone. After a lengthy wait he got to us and handed us our room cards. No welcome, no mention of our club status (or our wedding clothes! --as this clearly should have been seen as a special occasion!)
As room service had just ended for the evening, we ordered late night delivery from a nearby restaurant. When we realized it arrived with no silverware, my husband went down to the hotel's front desk to ask for some. He was told that all they had was a plastic spoon to give him. (This hotel does have room service and in-hotel restaurant). I ate my salad with a plastic spoon!
The bathrooms at the Hotel Indigo in San Diego were supplied with Aveda brand shampoo and conditioner. Here however, just a single bottle of generic hotel "conditioning shampoo". As I needed more to rinse out my wedding updo, my husband went down again to ask for conditioner. No luck. They sent him back with just another bottle of shampoo.
The next morning we went to check out the view from the rooftop bar. I was stung by a wasp and then we realized their corner flowerbed was covered in the wasps! My husband grabbed a plastic glove, filled it with ice from the bar, and wrapped it in a linen. We went down to the front desk to check out and I explained what happened. They said they would get someone to spray immediately and gave me antibiotic ointment. We were also asked to sign an accident report.
By the next night my arm was double in size and extremely painful. I called the hotel to let them know that I needed medical attention but was told there was no manager to speak to but they would leave a message.
I went to urgent care for treatment and attempted to follow up with the hotel. Went I reached the general manager, she first claimed my sting could have happened anywhere. Then she tried to claim that if I was allergic (I'm not!) I should be more prepared in case something like this should happen. Then she told me she wouldn't talk to me until she spoke with her attorney as she didn't feel they had any responsibility. Never once apologized for my experienced or inquired how I was. Have yet to hear back from the hotel...

This hotel has zero concern for guest satisfaction or well being and makes the Hotel Indigo's name look bad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear April W,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

As my previous reviews have strongly indicated, we have REALLY enjoyed our previous stays at other Indigo sites, and so we were eager to once again enjoy the special qualities here. Yes, there were many positive similarities, such as:
Staff—helpful, courteous, and knowledgeable.
Room—nicely designed and appointed; spacious for relaxing, movement, storage, and/or work.
Beds—queen-size, luxurious, wonderful to sleep on [with a large choice of pillows].
Bath—full-size; amazing shower design; huge, thick towels; great hair dryer; complimentary soaps, lotions, guest bathrobes, etcetera.
Work area—comfortable desk/chair, shelves, multi-outlets, Wi-Fi set up.
Location—in the midst of classy downtown shopping, tons of good eateries, nearby grocery stores, theaters, and the many special offerings that come with the River District [boats, fishing, and the usual seafood].
Management—this is where things got very perplexing and unusual:
1) Even with a reservation, we [and many other guests] had to wait a long time past the 3 p.m. “check-in time” because the rooms weren’t available for occupancy; an employee told us, “We allowed most of yesterday’s guests to extend their check-out time, so we couldn’t start to clean today’s rooms until 2 o’clock this afternoon.”
2) Given the above, we got surprised again: on the day of checking out, a staff member came to our room over two hours BEFORE the regular noon-check-out-time, and said they would appreciate it if we would check out immediately, “so we can clean the room for today’s incoming guests”! We politely declined.
Honestly, this is the main reason I’m giving this a 3-star review, instead of the usual Indigo 5-star.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear TexasPadre,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel again. I am very pleased that you liked our beds. On the other hand, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations on some aspects of your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

After staying in too many ordinary chain hotels, the Hotel Indigo was a nice change of pace. I really enjoyed the unconventional appearance, including the huge Van Gogh posters in the lobby. My room was spacious, had lots of windows, and was nicely furnished. The hotel bar looked like a fun place to hang out. My only complaint was the 5 am garbage truck pickup in the alley, which woke me up. (When checking in, I always ask for the quietest room, which is often in the back, but I'm finding that's also more likely to be where the garbage trucks do their pickups early in the morning.) The hotel is conveniently located near many restaurants and bars in the charming downtown area.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I waited for a last minute deal to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary in late December. Expedia had a great price for a 4 night stay at the Hotel Indigo in Fort Myers. Not being familiar with the hotel we checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor which were dominated with positive feedback.

When we checked into the hotel we were greeted by the Hotel Manager, Abbey. I asked her about one of the reviews which noted that in lower floors of the hotel you are able to hear the music from the night club on the property. She confirmed that the discounted rooms were located in that area. I mentioned that it was our anniversary and requested an upgrade which she was glad to arrange at an additional charge. After all, you only get what you pay for. Abbey also provided us with complimentary drink tickets for one of the restaurant's located on the property.

Shortly after we arrived in our 6th floor room, one of the wait staff brought us a complimentary bottle of champagne to our room. A classy touch !

Everyone we encountered at the hotel from the valets, front desk staff, maintenance staff and housekeeping were pleasant and well trained in customer service.

An excellent recommendation provided for our anniversary dinner was the Veranda. A must for a special occasion. Excellent food and outstanding service.

When I asked on our last day about check out time on NY Eve, I was told that it was typically Noon but for us it would be 2pm.

Abbey and her staff at Hotel Indigo get it. They understand that repeat customers are cultivated by enhancing the guest experience during their stay.

We will be back !

Room Tip: When we checked into the hotel we were greeted by the Hotel Manager, Abbey. I asked her about one of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Indigo Fort Myers River District? Share your experiences!