“Great Hotel and Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1851 SE 10th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Park.Stay.Fly
Ranked #36 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
natebanta
“Great Hotel and Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I have seen reviews saying that this hotel isn't convenient to anything but the airport and cruise port. That is just not true. It IS one of the few hotels that offers free pick-up from the airport and is probably the best of those that do offer that service. But you are also just a couple miles from the beach and there are easy transportation methods that are cost effective. The hotel offers free transportation to the Water Taxi stop #7. The water taxi is a lot of fun and well priced. $15 bucks you can ride it all day long going to the beaches or downtown. If you are looking for an evening out they just charge $7 for the entire evening after 7pm. The drivers give a tour of the city while transporting you from each stop. Also, the hotel is about a block from a bus stop that services the beach. For $1.50 you can hop on a route 40 bus that takes you right to the beaches. You don't have to complain about paying for a taxi to get around from this hotel. Use the services the city and hotel offer and enjoy!
The breakfast is pretty norm for a continental, though the quality of each item seemed better. Shouldn't complain, though, because very few 3 star hotels offer a free breakfast.
The hotel has a nice pool surrounded by palm trees and tropical foliage.
Rooms are quite large and beautiful. Ask for a upper level room with a downtown view. You can see the skyline beautifully and even the high-rise hotels along the ocean, though those hotels do block your view of the ocean.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

My experience at the Hyatt was TERRIBLE!!! I had a group of 16 people, I had told Traci at the Hyatt what time our flight would arrive. I was told to call as soon as we get our luggage. I called for our pick-up, and we waited OVER 2 HOURS!!!!! When we finally did get picked-up the shuttle driver was VERY RUDE!!!! We arrived at the hotel and they offered us a free drink coupon, which I feel did not make up for the 2 hour wait. Everyone in my group put up there own credit card for incidentals. When I checked my account I had been charged $25.00 for every room booked for incidentals, because I was the group leader. This was crazy because all of my people had already put up there credit card for this. When I went to the front desk I was told that the money would be credited back to my account in 5 DAYS!!! This was spending money I had for my cruise, so I was VERY ANGRY AT THIS POINT. Traci Henry the group manager that I booked the group with was gone for the weekend, and there was nothing they could do!!! There was also a smell of mildew through out the hotel, and one of the rooms had to be changed for 2 of my guest because the smell was so LOUD!!! This was the worst experience I every had at any hotel, and I have been a Travel Agent for over 20 years.

MY TIPS IS TO STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. THE ONLY THING GOOD ABOUT THIS HOTEL IS THE PEOPLE WHO WORK AT THE FRONT DESK. THEY WERE GREAT!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Traveling from Toronto and having stayed at Hyatt hotels in the past., we experienced three minor inconveniences here. First the fire alarm has gone off twice in the four days we've been here. (Not much the hotel can do though). From what we understand the hotel has been renovated. Although the rooms are large, ours was a double with a pullout couch, there is limited closet space and little storage in the terms of dressers. Travelling with a family of four and staying the week, we were living out of our suitcases. The hotel needs to make better use of the space in the rooms, as there is plenty of it. The A/C unit was loud and located right next to one of the beds, making falling asleep really difficult. The A/C had to be turned off everynight.
The hotel is in a good location close to all amenities, highway access, beach is 10 min away. Staff was friendly. An average hotel, Hyatt can do far better.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

Thought this was a great hotel. It was close to shopping and restaurants.The shuttle picked us up right away at the airport.The room was large with a nice tv.Staff was very friendly.Breakfast was crowded, but was right before our cruise. Shuttle to the port was fast and efficient.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

I had a pleasant stay...I was pleased it was as the reviews indicated and the photos depicted...indeed the a/c does make noise, however there is an off switch and it works perfectly! I had no complaints...airport service pick-up to/from airport was wonderful, I didn't wait long for pick up. It was a cozy stay and convenient to everything; a minute walking distance to restaurants, publix supermarket, gift shops; the beach in 20 minute more or less walking distance if you like walking in the sun...I would recommend it to others and I would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

We requested a king size bed room when we made the reservation but we were given a handicap accessible room with only ONE double bed. Since we arrived after midnight the hotel staff said they didn't have any room left and were unable to give us another room. We didn't even get an apology. Needless to say, the night we spent there was very uncomfortable when me and my husband had to squeeze in one tiny bed. The bathroom had no waste basket. The handles of the doors were sticky. When we made the reservation we told them the approx time we will need the shuttle from airport and to cruise port and were told there is no problem. But when we arrived airport they refused to pick us up because it was past midnight. They also refused to take us to the port because it was before 11am. When we first arrived the hotel the front door was locked and needed the room key to open. Of course we had no room key because we haven't checked in yet so we kept ringing the door bell. We had to wait about 5 mins before someone opened the door for us because the only lady at the front desk was too busy serving food for other guests! Overall, it was a very frustrating and uncomfortable experience. We were so glad that we only stayed there for one night and we couldn't wait to leave the hotel. We will never come back to this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
HyattFll, General Manager at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, December 30, 2009
Dear Guest:

I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your recent stay with us.
I will take the opportunity to address the issues that you have encountered:

- It is unfortunate that we could not accommodate you bedding request. Hotels always do their best to accommodate this request but is not guaranteed.

- We pride ourselves of our cleanliness, I submitted your complaint to our Executive Housekeeper to investigate what may have happened, and re-train the Housekeeping Host that clean your room if necessary.

- We would like to offer our shuttle service to Port Everglades before 11 AM, unfortunately the Port authorities do not let any Hotel Shuttles come in before that time.

I would like to extend you an invitation to come back to us and give us another chance to meet your expectations. Do not hesitate to contact me personally at (954) 703-7042.

Mariano Katz
Mtl, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt Place on Nov 14 for one night only and it was just fine. The perfect place to stay before leaving on a cruise.

Shuttle: Although you might have to wait up to 30 minutes, they have a shuttle to and from the airport as well as port everglades.

Service: We stayed on a Sat and the hotel was packed with people leaving or returning from cruises. The hotel could have been more staffed since you sometimes had to wait long lines at the counter but staff was friendly and helpful.

****AND I LOVE THE CHECK-IN EXPRESS MACHINES, I CHECKED-IN IN LESS THAN 3 MINUTES WITHOUT HAVING TO GO TO THE COUNTER!!!*****

Hotel: The hotel was newly renovated and the lobby was really nice. Dont expect too much from the pool though. The breakfast service is really good with many choices and a lot of places to sit.

Rooms: Rooms are perfect; spacious, clean, newly refurbished with huge Flat Screen!! Nothing to complain.

Locations: The location is ok with plenty of restaurants nearby and a grocery store as well. However, if you want to visit Fort Lauderdale and go to the beach, it might not be the best spot.

In summary, this hotel is a perfect stay before leaving on a cruise or upon arrival.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center? Share your experiences!