“Decent hotel, no views, noisy hallways...why does anyone vacation in Ft. Lauderdale” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center

You added Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1851 SE 10th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Park.Stay.Fly
Ranked #38 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Scottsdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale late July, 2014. Overall, this is a really decent hotel.

Some highlights:
- clean public areas and rooms.
- friendly front desk staff.
- nice decor in rooms and lobby.
- nice pool.
- in-room coffee, safe, and real drinking glasses.
- room design: nice furniture, linen, L shaped sofa and ottoman, interesting lighting. Nice touch: easy to use thermostat, solid glass shower doors, nice quality bath hardware (faucets,etc).
- neighbors to two restaurants ( overpriced Manzannos and Outback).
- nice down pillows.
- wet bar with sink, refrigerator, etc.

Some challenges:
- Housekeeping: while these are a very friendly crew, they are either short handed or have some training issues, which I fault management for. Some examples: I tend to stay up late and sleep later than most- usually up around 9:30am, and out by 10:30am. The first morning I left my room at approx.10:30am, and returned at 3:30pm, to find that housekeeping did not clean my room. Now, I did leave the "do not disturb" sign in the key card slot, but removed it when I left in the morning. Clearly, they were either behind, forgot, or didn't think to check back. The front desk did dispatch HK to clean, and they finished by the time I came back to the hotel approx. 1.5 hours later. However, they didn't replenish all of the bathroom towels and left the used glass wear (w my fingerprints) in the room. It sucks when you don't have a bath mat for the floor, wash cloths, and nasty glasses. They did bring clean glasses when I called them on it. Also, by night three, I had gone through the half roll of "TP" and the housekeeper removed the empty cardboard roller but didn't replace it with a new roll.

- No complimentary breakfast: for this level of hotel, c'mon guys, give us some pasties, cereal, fruit, juice, etc. Most of your competitors do. I noticed that their website states that they offer a free skillet breakfast, however, I was told at check-in that it wasn't included in my rate. Sounds like false advertising to me.

- the 24/7 food offerings are nice, but the sandwiches are about twice the price of what they should be priced ($10 or more for a wrap, etc.). Gourmet cupcakes are priced appropriately, and although having a drink next to front lobby check-in isn't my preference, people seemed to be getting their drink on in the small lobby.

- In-room Wi-fi: kind of spotty and slow speed. I usually needed to reboot my iPad several times each night when my google searches went nowhere or just dropped me.

- Noisy halls. Lots of door slamming, and when your in the Couch area, you can here neighbors slamming drawers next door. Also, the kid across the hall was screaming at times and you could here it in the room.

- Mattress: kind of hard- this may fall into the positive column for some, but I personally prefer a pillow top.

- ice bucket: no ice bucket bag, and I didn't notice extra ice buckets in the housekeepers' carts, so I'm assuming that these are being cleaned in the room...not very sanitary in my opinion.

- No views of...anything.

Although for the life of me, other than departing for a cruise, visiting friends/families or being there for business, I seriously don't understand why anyone would visit Fort Lauderdale, I would return to the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale for their nice attitudes, hotel cleanliness, and rate (I paid $99 per night weekdays). PS: I commend that someone is replying to each review individually, but I'd recommend going a little farther than just "passing on the good comments" to staff, and apologies for the issues. Maybe a free cupcake, or, credit of some kind. It's actually meaningful to the customer, vs lip service. It means something and is less "PR" feeling. Just saying.

Room Tip: Stay away from the central elevators...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
AudraDOS, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Greetings Scottsdude! Thank you staying with us and for the very detailed review and suggestions. To begin, please accept our hotel's apologies in regards to the housekeeping issue with servicing the room, this is not typical and will be brought up to our team leader in housekeeping for more accurate service. As for the "complimentary breakfast" this is included in every rate, I am not sure who informed you of this, however, our breakfast is daily weekdays from 6:30-9am, and weekends 7am-10am. No false advertising here as this is a Hyatt Place standard- so again, I apologize on behalf of the stellar team here and will reiterate this to all on board to insure this information is not given again. Our food options we offer are priced according to the Hyatt standard and are across the board for the whole brand overall. Noise, we always encourage no door slamming with all our guests, once we are made aware of a noise complaint we will address this with the guest(s). Wi Fi- we are in the process of upgrading our band with for more accurate connection. In addition, we are also in process of receiving new mattresses starting tomorrow 8/12- so you will have to come back very soon to try them out! In regards to the ice buckets - these are to be in every room, and I apologize that you did not have, a call to our gallery host, and we could of had one brought up to you, as far as the cleaning of them, we provide as a Hyatt Brand Standard the sanitary bags in each bucket for removal of any prior guest use, and a clean bag for every guest. I sure do hope that my response was helpful to you and will take up your recommendation as I am the person who responds to each review. Unfortunately, I cannot extend a complimentary item to you, due to the fact that Trip Advisor does not disclose the guest name. We at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street do encourage each guest that does experience any issues during their stay to inform the staff/manager so we can try to assist and offer a gesture to make up for the inconvenience during your stay. Thank you again for your time and we hope to see you again in the near future. All the best, Audra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed here in May 2012 before our cruise it was very close to the port. Very nice hotel, we were greeted warmly and had a quick check in. The room was very spacious the bed was comfy I loved it. The only thing I would change is the location it's kind of in the cut no views just trees that's the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars. If you are looking for a good comfortable nights rest this would be a good place but if you want ocean views and to be in the mix this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AudraDOS, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Greetings Cynthia D!

Thank you for your review. We certainly do appreciate your time and compliements on our hotel and staff. Thank you for your loyalty to the Hyatt Place 17th Street Ft. Lauderdale, and we hope to see you again to serve you excecellence .

All the best, Audra D
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Only stayed there for one night, in March but found the staff to be super friendly and proffesional, check in was super quick, room was excellent, and location was nice and close to many dinning options. Did I mention the staff was supper friendly at checkin. Wish I could have stayed longer, will definately consider next time I come to FLL.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
AudraDOS, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Greetings Frank V!

Thank you so much for your review. We certainly do take great pride in our staff and service in delivering excellence. We do hope to see you again in the near future.
Many Regards,

Rockford, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

You would think if you were staying in a hotel for a third of a month that you would rate some consideration?!
Apparently, since my reservation spanned a couple of days at regular rate, then a few days at group rate, and a few more at regular, THEIR system can't function. At every rate change our key cards ceased to function. The maids ceased to function on those days, too! Then we had late checkout, & the maid then the housekeeping manager were banging on the door. One of the housekeepers actually rearranged my toiletries and moved them to other counters when she did come in, which I found annoying. Free breakfast was just like Holiday Express except for egg patties (not scrambled) with weird cheese. Had to wait for special order vegetarian everyday. Rooms were really good and clean and Stuart at the front desk (& his staff) were very apologetic and helpful. There is no bathroom close to the pool, so you have to traipse through the lobby or to your room. It is a bit of a hike to the convention center .... Doable but can be a pain on muggy or rainy days. The hotel lobby serves as the bar and breakfast area as well. Pretty compact space. Beds were FANTASTIC! Thank heaven Stuart was there- intelligent and caring. The pluses and minuses averaged out to a 3 for me-

Stayed July 2014
AudraDOS, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Greetings ladymacdeth!

Thank you for your review of our hotel. On behalf of the Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street, I would like to apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvienance this may have caused you during your stay. We are pleased to hear the compliments of our front desk staff and Stuart, I will be sure to express this to them all. In addition, the housekeeping concerns will be addressed as well, please note this is not a commonality that we have with our team. Our housekeeping department has been with us for several years and on the norm, perform to the utmost standards that Hyatt offers. We do hope that you will consider our hotel in the future regardless of the type of travel. Many thanks again and we wish you a great rest of the summer.

Regards, Audra
Girard, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here in Feb, 2014. Room was big and clean. Staff was excellent, always happy to answer my questions. Shuttle from airport was great, no waiting. Free breakfast was really nice, breakfast sandwiches were very good. Walk to the Harbor shops was very close to get last minute things and to eat.dinner. We just got a taxi to take us to the port, it was $15 with tip. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AudraDOS, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Greetings Grandma Di52!

Thank you for your review. We certainly appreciate the time you spent in doing so and the specifcs of our location. We do strive at Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center take great pride in delivering excellence. We hope to see you again in the near future. Many Regards,
Somerset, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I was in hyatt for ten days and i really dont like the area is far walking from the beach and from the shooping,i think the prices aré hight for what they offer.
They have every day the same Breakfast and Well for a hotel with this prices and think they can change the Breakfast because for two days is ok but ten days with the same is very Boring.
Also i forgot something in the Room they day i leave and when i call for ask they told me they dont find,so what that means¿ they hace to keep ip the things theele forgot not keep for himself this is very bad in my opinión considering they guy for reception borrow me A umbralla And i had to sign a paper if i lost the umbralla i have to Pay 50 usd lol....
Other thing i ask the Peruvian guy in the reception shuttle for sawgrass mills and he told me is 35 usd for go and come Back for two people so i use d the shuttle and when i come Back the driver told me is 35 usd for go and 35 for come Back whattttttt! I see in internet for 50 usd is possible go and come Back i use this shuttle. Because the guy told me is 35 usd go and come Back and after i have to Pay 70 usd so 20 moré than if i do reservation with other company.
The food they have in the bar 24 hours is expensive Also so in general i dont recomended this hotel for this price You can have other better hotels

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Greetings Neni_Travel!

Thank you for your response about our hotel. On behalf of the hotel's management team and staff, we sincerely apologize for any lack of variety at breakfast, and or transportation concerns. We do our best to follow the Hyatt Place standards in which the breakfast is the same for all, so unfortuantely, we are not able to deviate from this norm, however, Hyatt does offer brand specific hotels that cater to a more long term stay which has a rotation of breakfast options. We do hope that you will consider our hotel in the future. My apologies again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This Hyatt Place is not only their smiles their eager to please mode is a mere god send! The authenticity is in their manners their smile and diligent way they stride to make you feel you are in good hands! Stuart is a mere pleasure as he tries to accommodate all guests request and manages to.....but you see he is pride to employ by Hyatt! Sergio now he is the Hyatt Future he is so sweet you can feel the reality that he will make you feel at home! He is an angel! Now the icing is Kettelie she is the beauty side as she greets and assist you know you made the best investment she is an ace! The GM (excel leader for s team that feels 100% Hyatt!!!) the directors the hidden treasures girls in the back they complete the concept of team work and they ALL excel in delivery the Hyatt Touch!!! Its clean its a happy getaway home whether business it pleasure its is the PRIDE of FLL! Thank you for am amazing stay and god bless you all and yes see you soon !!! Thank you for your existence and be well friends!!! Happy 4th!!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Greetings Maria1217!!!

Thank you for this stellar reveiw of our hotel, service, and staff! Stuart, Sergio, and Kettlie are very thrilled to hear of this great service you received at our Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street. We do strive to deliver excellence in every category, every guest, every stay! We do hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you and all the best!

Audra

Been to Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center? Share your experiences!