“Excellent and a great location, wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #24 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Moncton, New Brunswick
“Excellent and a great location, wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

From the free pick-up at he airport in a short waiting time(call when you have your bags...airport phone by baggage). To the wonderful, helpful reception at the front desk, to the free hot/cold breakfast, the friendly staff, close to all types of restaurants fast food locations, local bus stops by the hotel, a great sports bar (Duffy's), in walking distance, and also the closest to the Port of Everglades. (Cruise shuttle is $8.00a person or get a cab for around $12.00. ). The room was fantastic. A nice size bar fridge, microwave, coffee maker, a great pillow top mattress, large flat LG screen, very comfortable room. This is our second booking here and anytime we cruise from Fort Lauderdale, we will stay here!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ExpressCC17, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale Cruise-Airport, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Bluejaycrazy,
Thank you so much for your kinds words of compliment. It is such a pleasure to hear that we were successful in providing you with the kind of service you expect and deserve while staying at the Holiday Inn Express. The staff work so very hard to ensure that our guests experience a warm, inviting, clean and fresh hotel during their stay. I will share your comments with our TEAM. Our location is perfect for all travelers as we are located just minutes from the airport, convention center, cruise port and the beach! We are within walking distance to so many great restaurants and shops.
I hope to have you stay with us again soon. Please remember to say "hello"!
Gloria Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This HIE is clean and has a boutique feel to it. Well apointed rooms with modern furniture. Free breakfast and lots of dining options all within walking distance. Plenty of last minute shopping options across the street.Just 2 blocks from the Port Everglades. Walk to the bridge and see your ship before you board. Shuttle to Port available or hail a cab and get there quicker and cheaper. The only downside - no pool for the kids.
Very friendly and helpful staff who are used the confused and travel battered cruise crowd. A fine choice for before and after cruise. Close to FLL airport as well. Great value for the price. I stayed on rewards pre cruise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ExpressCC17, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale Cruise-Airport, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
CD R,
Thank you for sharing your experience with others. It is nice to hear that our location worked well for you. We are the perfect location for pre/post cruisers as well as other travelers as we are just 3.5 miles from the airport and the beach is 1.5 miles east of us. The Broward County Convention center is blocks away and we are surrounded by so many restaurants and shops.... all within walking distance.
I will share your kind words of compliment with my staff. We strive daily to provide our guests with the excellent service they expect and deserve while staying with us. I am happy to hear we were successful during your recent stay.
I look forward to your next visit and please remember to "say hello".

Gloria Williams
Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This Holiday Inn Express is VERY close to the Ft Lauderdale Cruise Terminal. Restaurants, liquor store, drug store are all in close proximity to the hotel. We have stayed here prior to 3 cruises and have never had a bad experience or a bad room. The staff is very accomodating and friendly. The free breakfast offered in the morning is quite sufficient and well prepared. A shuttle is offered to the cruise terminal as well as taxi's. I suggest a taxi due to the possibility of many stops before getting to your ship. There are as many as 8 ships in port at a time. If you arrive prior to a room being available, there is a secure room to store your luggage. If a shuttle is needed, make sure you inform them when you check in, as the shuttle fills up fast. There are a number of restaurants to go to until a meal until your room becomes available. The rooms are very clean. The fitness center is impressive and easy accessible. A free 24 hour airport shuttle is offered for pick up and delivery to the Ft Lauderdale airport. Also let them know early that you need a shuttle. We will continue to use this hotel when we cruise from Ft Lauderdale. There is NO swimming pool at this location. It is indicated below that there is. I accidently hit the rating button and cannot undo it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ExpressCC17, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale Cruise-Airport, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Aeroma089,
Thank you so much for your comment. What a pleasure it is to hear from our repeat guests.
I will absolutely share your kind words with my staff. They work so very hard daily to prepare for our guest arrivals.
Our location is perfect for the pre/post cruisers as well as other travelers. We are surrounded by so many restaurants and shops... all within walking distance. The beach is only 1.5 miles away (over the bridge) and the airport is 3.5 miles from the hotel.
I look forward to your next visit and please don't forget to say, "hello"!
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I booked this hotel for several reasons... First of all, it's location. This Holiday Inn Express is located only a mile or so from Port Everglades, the cruise ship terminal. It is also within walking distance to several good restaurants and shopping. Another reason we booked this hotel was price. The price was a little more expensive than some of the no-name nearby hotels, but less expensive than most of the every-day chain hotels! Included with the price was a continental breakfast that included fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, muffins, toast, etc.

Our Experience... We flew into the Fort Lauderdale airport and called the hotel, asking for shuttle service. We waited about 30 minutes for the shuttle to arrive, then rode for about 15 minutes back to the hotel. The driver was very nice and friendly! We walked into the small lobby and was greeted by the desk staff, who was also very friendly and outgoing! He had us laughing within seconds of meeting him! He also recommended a few good local restaurants, all within walking distance. We took the elevator up to the 4th floor and walked down the newly remodeled hallway to our newly remodelled room. Our room was a little smaller than what we're used to staying in, but it was clean! Everything was in it's place and felt welcoming. We stayed only one night, and was boarding a cruise ship the next day. Unfortunately, the hotel shuttle would not take us to the cruise terminal. Instead, we were told they use a 3rd party transportation service which costs $15 per person. That is outrageous for only going a little more than a mile! Instead, we called for a taxi who took us to the cruise terminal for only $10 total!

Will we stay there again? Probably, if we're going on a cruise. If we are on vacation, and need a place to stay for several nights, we will stay closer to the beach.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, no rooms have very good views. Our room was on the west and looked out to another ho...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ExpressCC17, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale Cruise-Airport, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Caribbean Junkie,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others. It is a pleasure to hear that our location worked well for your recent stay. I will share your kind words of compliment with my staff. We offer a hot buffet breakfast complimentary and it's nice to hear that you enjoyed it!
Please note that the shuttle service to the port from the hotel is an option. ACE Tours charges $8 per person. They offer return trips after your cruise... back to the airport and that combined fee may be $15. However, taxi's are available and the average cost to the cruise port from our hotel is $10 per taxi. Our front desk staff is always available to call the taxi for our guests and it normally takes 5-10 minutes to arrive.
I certainly hope that you will return to our location and look forward to meeting you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The location is perfect for access to the Port Everglades cruise port. You could walk over to board your ship if you did not have too much luggage. For $7.00 you can hop on the shuttle with your baggage. Lots of dining options within a very short walk. Starbucks, ice cream, seafood, burgers you name it. Neighbourhood overall feels very safe.

Rooms were clean. Breakfast was OK. No onsite pool but they offered a shuttle to a pool at a sister property nearby. The WIFI did not work for me and that is unusual for a Holiday Inn. Tech support never got me working and another hotel guest told me he had the same issues.

Free shuttle to the airport. It was a nice van and the driver was good and it came to pick us up very quickly.

I found the room price was very high for a Holiday Inn but I guess the location is prime for the cruise port and the services provided by the staff were top notch.

Ottawa1546,
Thank you for sharing your experience with others. We appreciate your kind words of compliment. My staff strive daily to prepare for our guest arrivals and it's nice to hear that their efforts to provide excellent customer service has been recognized.
Our guests have options for transportation to the cruise port and certainly the taxi is less expensive. Shuttle service is provide by ACE Tours at 10:30, 11:30 and 12:30 @ $8 per person. Our front desk staff is always available to assist with calling a taxi for our guests whenever they choose to leave for the port.
I hope to have you stay with us again soon and be sure and say, "hello".
Dayton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the night before our cruise in February. I had read the reviews here and felt it was a decent property, so I used some of my HI points to book the room.
It is strange how some of the reviews are glowing and some are, like mine, not so good. Apparently, there are some good rooms and some not-so-good-rooms...
The airport shuttle was prompt and the driver was very nice. The front desk staff was also very good. Public areas are fine and you just can't beat the location. It is literally 2 minutes by taxi to the cruise port. (Yes, call a cab. It is much cheaper. The shuttle is $8/pp + tips and stops at many hotels before the port. A cab was $10 for us including the tip and took 5 minutes to get to the ship.)
Anyway, our room (Room 207) was absolutely awful smelling! As soon as we opened the door, the smell of mildew was over-powering. It smelled as if the carpet had been soaked and was not dried properly. Also, the room view is of a brick wall and the A/C unit was very loud as it kicked on and off all night.
Because I was a Priority Club Gold member, I would have thought they would have given us a nice room. Since they didn't, I have to assume all rooms are like this one. And since the hotel was full and it was late, I didn't request to be moved. We decided we would just live with it since we were leaving in the morning.
We will definitely stay elsewhere before our next cruise from Ft. Lauderdale.

Room Tip: Avoid room 207! Mold and mildew smell was awful!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DaytonBeth,
Thank you for your comment. We take each and every comment seriously. All rooms undergo regular maintenance routine and inspections daily to ensure all guest rooms are fresh, clean and inviting upon our guest arrivals. I am so sorry to hear that you did not experience this during your stay. I can assure you that any issues with rooms 207 have been addressed and improved upon. Except, maybe the view of the wall. Unfortunately, our neighboring office building does face our 07 rooms. Please accept our sincere apology. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you in regards to your recent stay.
Our staff strive daily to provide our guests with excellent customer service and I am happy to hear that they were recognized. I will share this news with them as well.
Again, I apologize that you were not happy with your room and I hope to speak with you soon.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed at this property twice - once for two days before a cruise and for another night between our two cruises. Location is great - fifteen minute walk to the port if you wanted to.

Called from the airport for the free shuttle on the combined hotel line and it took a while to get connected and then just sat on hold. Waited a couple of minutes then hung up and called the hotel directly on my mobile. Was served immediately so I am unsure as to what is going on with the combined hotel phones at the airport.

Was told that the shuttle would be at the airport to pick us up in twenty minutes and it arrived just about that time. Driver was extremely friendly and we were at the hotel very quickly. Checkin was quick and the staff were again friendly.

The next two mornings we had the HIE breakfast - pretty much the same as at any other HIE - scrambled eggs, bacon, cinnamon buns, cereal, yogurt, toast, english muffins, pancakes......again staff were very friendly.

The rooms we had were on the fifth floor and have been redecorated. Nice bed in the first room but when we returned between the cruises, the bed had a plastic type mattress cover which made the bed extemely hot.

Shower and bathroom were well appointed and you have a hairdryer, which although not like what you have at home - it is adequate. I have read about low water pressure but we didn't experience any problems.

Room has a coffee maker, microwave and fridge, but strangely enough it doesn't have a room safe. Lots of space in the room though which is nice when you have a lot of bags to go on a cruise.

This property does not have a pool or access to a pool if that is important to you. For us it wasn't an issue as we went to the beach for the day. The bus runs right by on 17th and there is also a trolley that goes to the beach area.

The gym is extremely small - one treadmill, one elliptical and one bike - no weights of any kind.
When we returned from the first cruise we had to wait for a room but they locked up our bags in a back room. We had some valuables and they marked them and kept them behind the desk for us until we checked in.

Overall impression - would we stay here again - definitely for a pre or post cruise hotel. The hotel has been reconditioned and is nice. We would prefer it had a proper gym, but this is not a dealbreaker for a day or two. What sets this property apart from most others is the staff. During the first stay they were friendly - during the second they were over the top trying to make everything perfect for us. We stayed here with four other couples and they all had the same impression. They all are friendly, but not just that - they have either been trained very well or they are hired for their personalities. One moment they are joking with you, the next they are on the phone with someone else speaking very professionally, and the next they are asking how they can help with anything you may wish.

If you are looking for a great pub - try Waxy O'Connors. It is a couple of blocks away(away from the Causeway).

If you are looking for wine or beer for the cruise - go directly to Total Wine by the Publix.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ExpressCC17, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale Cruise-Airport, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
rik33853,
Thank you for sharing your experience with others. It is so nice to hear that our location and accommodation were satisfying to you during your recent visit to Fort Lauderdale. I hope that you enjoyed your cruise as well. Our fitness center is a brand new facility added just over a year ago, everything is brand new. Your suggestion of weights will be shared with our management team. We are a prefect location for all travelers and especially the pre/post cruisers. We appreciate and value the business and hope to have you back with us soon.
Warmest regards,

Been to Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale Cruise-Airport? Share your experiences!