“Decent Property, OK Location, Great Value, Exceptional Service - Recommended” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Lauderdale Marriott North

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #31 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cincinnati
“Decent Property, OK Location, Great Value, Exceptional Service - Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

I spent three nights at the Fort Lauderdale Marriott North while attending a trade show at the Fort Lauderdale Convention Center. Overall, it was a very nice stay and the staff provides exceptional service. My company's travel agent found a great rate for us at $129 per night. While we had to drive about 20 min to the convention center, our colleagues who stayed closer paid at least double that amount. The location of the hotel is so-so. It's about 15 minutes from the beach and 20 minutes to the airport and downtown FLL. There is a strip mall just down the street with a couple of restaurants. The hotel appears to be somewhat of an older property, but it is clean and well maitained. Parking is free and readily available with a three story garage. Check in went very smoothly and they even upgraded me to a room with a slightly better view and balcony. The room certainly met Marriott expectations - comfortable beds, nice work area, flat screen TV, decent bathroom and no noise issues. The pool and fitness areas aren't bad. I ate breakfast at the hotel twice - a nice buffet ($16) with made-to-order eggs. Free wireless internet which is a nice touch considering most Marriotts charge for internet. The staff was tremendous - every person we encountered said hello and offered to help. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and recommend the Fort Lauderdale Marriott North to business travelers in the area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
joeldarrgm, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, March 1, 2010
Dear FlyNavyCincinnati,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your excellent experience at the Marriott Fort Lauderdale North with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled to read that you have discovered what a tremendous value the Marriott North is. I am also very happy you were able to experience our Clean and Friendly service, these are our guiding principles. I very much appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope to see you back soon.

Joel Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

For my 60th Birthday, a friend booked a 9-day Florida retreat to warm our chilled (Montreal / Montana) January bones.

The journey got off to a shaky start.
• My flight flew behind schedule.
• Florida, including coastal beaches, was wrapped in an uncharacteristic chill.
• Our original hotel was, to be gentle, less than adequate.

Pre-travel TripAdvisor recommendations suggested the Fort Lauderdale Marriott might be a friendly, clean, and cost-effective alternative. Reviews reported the General Manager "treated guests like royalty" and promised "as long as (guests) were in his hotel, they would get nothing but luxury and attention - and they did."

The reviews were spot on!

General Manager Joel Darr and his warm, accommodating staff
• Front Desk Managers, Associates, and Concierge
* Restaurant Hosts and Servers
• Housekeeper and Maintenance Man
. . . made our stay extremely comfortable. Also, notably, everyone we encountered seemed to genuinely LIKE their jobs!`

The Marriott's convenient location gave us easy access to interesting restaurants, Fort Lauderdale and Miami beaches, the cinema, shopping, laundrymat, and AmTrak / Airport when we were ready to depart.

We enjoyed a half-dozen morning meals - selections from the breakfast buffet carried to our room - and two suppers at the hotel's restaurant. Adjusting for the evening chill, servers rolled portable space heaters to our tables assuring our comfort.

While Mr. Darr, his excellent staff, and comfortable facility could do nothing about the unseasonable temperatures, upon return to the lobby every afternoon, they warmed our hands and hearts with hot servings of apple cider or chocolate.

My Canadian friend and I are happy to add our praise to TripAdvisor's growing list of complements for this lovely hotel. Hope you have a Bon Voyage!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
joeldarrgm, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
Dear MontanaBAG,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your amazing feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to report that we have thawed out down here in sunny Fort Lauderdale (82° and sunny today), the cold snap we experienced was the worst we can remember. I appreciate you recognizing our associates and will be sure to share this feedback with them. I am also glad to read that our extra efforts to warm you up did not go unnoticed. Please come back soon and say hi. I wish you safe and adventurous travels.

Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

Frequent business traveller and Marriott Gold elite member so think my expectations are fair and realistic. Based on some of the reviews on this site I was expecting more from this hotel. Check-in was not great, no signage any where in elevators so no idea what floor concierge lounge was on (one would have thought woman would have told me at check in), no phone extension plate on phones so no idea who to call for what, no pen and paper in room, but biggest gripe was hotel not being clean. Kept finding samll pieces of trash in hallways and someone's q-tip sat outside my door for 2 days! This may sound like small, minor issues but based on other reviews - was expecting better.
Hotel manager was visible in lobby in morning asking guests if they needed anything which was appreciated.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
joeldarrgm, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, February 8, 2010
Dear KurtBoston_MA,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. As a Marriott Gold Elite member, you understand what our standards are as a brand. Please accept my sincere apology for my property not exceeding your expectations. I will use this feedback as a training aid for my Front Desk and Housekeeping teams. As you read in the majority of our reviews, this hotel operates at a very high level of service and cleanliness. I am quite confident that you will have an excellent experience when you return. Please look me up if you do return, I'll be in the lobby.

Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

After a horrible hotel experience in Orlando (not a Marriott), we were fortunate to have one night in this lovely hotel. It is a beautifully appointed and designed hotel and is walking distance from a mall with movies, dinner etc. One of the unexpected features was the protected woods that are between the hotel and the main street (Andrews Avenue). The official name of this small area is, "Aquatic Preserve - Reflections Plat - Wetlands Restoration Area." From 8 am to dusk you can basically walk out the hotel front door and onto this raised wooden walkway over the wetlands. It's nothing more than about 100 feet of wooden path but it's just such a nice change from the ordinary hotel experience! This hotel got us hooked on Marriotts. By the way, the official name of the hotel is "Marriott - Fort Lauderdale (North)." We walked over to the mall and were delighted to find an authentic Jersey-type Italian restaurant: Carlucci's Italian Ristorante. Had a wonderful meal there. We came back to the hotel with leftovers and asked the hotel if we could keep them in their fridge (since the room didn't have a mini fridge). They immediately brought up a mini fridge for the room--no charge. Rooms were casual-elegant, clean, beds great. Almost forgot, the hotel has a nice pool and spa/hot tub and they are both available 24 hours a day (you don't see that very often).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
joeldarrgm, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, February 6, 2010
Dear CelloMan1961,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at the Marriott Fort Lauderdale North with the savvy TripAdvisor community. I am particularly happy to see that you were able to discover and enjoy the serene Nature Preserve that surrounds our hotel. I am sorry that you had a poor experience at another hotel prior to visiting us but I am thrilled that we were able to help rescue your vacation. I and my team very much appreciate you choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon. I wish you safe and exciting travels!

Newport, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

I recently returned for the Ft Lauderdale Marriot. I stayed 1/17-20th.
Rooms were very nice and spotless clean.
Beds were very comfortable. There was a huge safe in the room, about the size of a college dorm room refrigerator. 32 in flat screen televison.

I went to dinner at the hotel and enjoyed the food. They also had a nice wine list.

Had a good time at the bar. Bartenders were very friendly.

Room rates were a little high.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
joeldarrgm, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 25, 2010
Dear RhodeIslandBeachbum,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am very happy to hear how clean you found the hotel and that our service staff was able to show you our world class hospitality. I appreciate you choosing to stay with us at the Marriott Fort Lauderdale North and look forward your next visit. I wish you safe and adventurous travels.

White Lake, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed here two nights with my fiance as we wrapped up a week-long trip in Florida. Having stayed off the Cypress Creek exit before (at the Sheraton Suites, another great property), I was in familiar territory. Be advised, this hotel is not on the beach, but it is in a pretty good location being about 20 minutes from just about anything the area has to offer including great shopping, beach, nightlife, etc.

If you've been to a Marriott before, this one will meet and exceed your expectations. The rooms are comparable to the couple of other Marriotts I've stayed at, and the public spaces (lobby, etc) are very very nice and comparable to high-end hotels anywhere. I did not try the restaurant but looked at the menu displayed -- looked very nice!

The one thing I was dissapointed in was that I got a room with an older model CRT television - would have been nice to get one of the rooms with a flat screen. But Parking is free which is nice (plus they have a garage). And the fitness center and pool are very nice. Hotel missed my New Year's Day wake up call (had a 6:40 AM flight to catch), but luckily my fiance and I both had cell phone alarms set.

Plenty of restaurants within short distance and movie theater as well, but, its Florida. Drive and find something unique. I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
joeldarrgm, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 7, 2010
Dear fjnovak1,

Happy New Year and thank you for helping us kick off 2010 with such a nice TripAdvisor review. We truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us and are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future. Please accept my personal apologies for the missed wake up call, I can assure you that is a very rare occurrence. I am also sorry you did not get a room with a flat screen TV, we have them in 75% of our rooms. Good news, we will have final 25% installed in 2010. Next time you are in town, make sure to look me up and I will personally ensure you get a great room. I wish you safe and adventurous travels.

Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

This hotel would rate a 5 out of 5 stars for us if the hot water had actually worked. Poor maintenance guy kept tearing it apart and fixing it, only to jump in the shower 10-15 minutes later and it being luke warm to cold. Registered a complaint with the front desk who wanted to move us to another room, but the maintenance man said other rooms were affected as well.

Staff were very friendly and customer service oriented, and I couldn't really find a flaw, other than the hot water issues. I find that to be a "major" issue for me when traveling. I like to take those nice hot showers but couldn't at this hotel. In all fairness they did offer to move us, but we didn't feel like packing everything up and moving to another room.

We stayed here to be close to the Port to embark on a Princess Cruise and would come back if we knew the hot water issues were taken care of. The restaurant and room service were good to excellent. Breakfast buffet I found was a bit expensive for what you get but food was very good and service was top notch.

Would I stay here again? Most definitely as long as the hot water was fixed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
joeldarrgm, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, December 21, 2009
Dear OCALAFLORIDATRAVELER,

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the simple necessity of a nice hot shower. I have reviewed the reported challenges from this weekend and we did indeed record a hot water issue in a room at the hotel. My team has completed the appropriate repairs to the mixing valves in your room and the hot water supply in the building is functioning properly. I am also very happy to hear that everything else you experienced at the Marriott North was outstanding. I hope you enjoyed your cruise and look forward to you finding your way back to the Marriott Fort Lauderdale North soon. Please reach out to me when you do so I may say hello and personally inspect your room. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. I wish you safe and exciting travels!

Joel Darr

Been to Fort Lauderdale Marriott North? Share your experiences!