“Pre cruise overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #30 of 134 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clanfield, United Kingdom
“Pre cruise overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Arrived at the hotel early evening, room was ready. Pleasant enough room, although I hate having to drink my tea and coffee out of cardboard cups and not enough of them. Beds were comfortable, and shower really good. The weather was bad so we decided to eat in the hotel, very dismal atmosphere, but food OK.

The next morning we wanted to go to a local shopping centre and was told we had to get a taxi. On our return and some of the guests had gone on their coaches to the port, the concierge met us and said "if you had waited you could have had a lift". Didn't tell us that when we asked about going.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy that you found our beds to be "comfortable" and you enjoyed your shower. I am sorry that the communication with your cruise line regarding transportation was not what it should have been. I would contact them regarding this.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My arrival at the hotel was late in the evening therefore the check in was quick. Once settled in the room I took some photos of the room and the hotel. It was decorated nice for the holidays. Everything seemed to be closed at the hotel except for the boutique. I guess due to my late arrival. I went to see the gym and found some fruit so that was my bedtime snack. The bed was comfortable and clean. Coffee/tea was available in the room. In the morning I took a stroll around the grounds of the hotel, walking on a boardwalk in lots of green vegetation and trees. Check out was a breeze. There is quite a distance from the hotel to Port Everglades. Would I stay there again? No because of the distance to the port.

Room Tip: for a nice view, face the pool area.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our beds to be "clean and comfortable". I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed a stroll on the boardwalk of the nature preserve. It really is beautiful.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

When I first walked in to this hotel, I was blown away! They have beautiful shiny marble floors and everything looks like new. As soon as I took a few steps into the lobby, I was greeted by several managers offering me a glass of wine. I have never seen anything like this. Check-in was extremely smooth and everyone was so friendly. They genuinely seemed to care how I was doing. They gave me great ideas on where to dine and even said they would take me in their shuttle.

As I was going up to my room, I found the elevators to be bright and new. I was told by a maid that they just finished renovating them that day. I got to my room and found it to be quite large and very clean. Yes, it may be a bit older but it was very clean and had everything you would need. I also found the fitness center to be very large and they even have a rooftop pool and Jacuzzi...How cool is that!

The next morning I came down to find all the same managers and now they are offering free smoothies. I must say that the service at this hotel is like the Ritz. Everyone seemed like they took happy pills....I was very satisfied at this hotel and I look forward to coming back. Great job!

I went down to the desk and again to find out where the fitness center was, everyone just wanted to help.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the nature preserve.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your review. I am so happy to hear that you were treated so well by our team and you found our service to be "first class". I am also happy to hear that you noticed our upgraded elevators and the wine reception as well as the smoothies in the morning. I do hope that you visit us again real soon!
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott this week. We came as part of a group. Rooms were to be ready for check in at 4:30. Most were not. Some people were waiting until well after 6:00 to get into their rooms. The second day, we were out for the day and came back to find our room had not been cleaned. It was dinnertime and we were leaving and explained this to the front desk and asked if, at the very least, we can get clean towels. When we returned late that night, our room was still not cleaned, nor were there clean towels. We contacted the Front Desk again and Housecleaning was finally sent up around 11:00 p.m.

Breakfast was offered for our group, which was the same meal every day: scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and sausage with danish/bagels. There were no heaters under the trays, so food was lukewarm, if not cold.

The pool area was not kept up well. There was a "mess" on the ground near one of the tables, which was not cleaned up the whole week we were there. We were also up at the pool (which is on a rooftop) one night and there was a rat running back and forth along the far wall.

One of the night we were there was New Year's Eve. The bar closed at 11:00 p.m. (which was their normal hours).

On the positive side: Beds were comfortable. There was a shuttle service which took us to a local store. Water flavored with fruit was always available in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for providing your feedback. I do apologize for the issues you experienced and I will certainly share with my entire team. We did have many requests for different room types that your group did not provide us with at booking. We tried our best to fulfill all these requests but it did slow us down a bit.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the variety of the food that was served. We do serve the meals that was contracted through your group contact.

Once again, my apologies and we will make sure we look into all issues. I am happy to hear though that you did enjoy our comfortable beds and the shuttle service. Hope to see you again!
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel on January 5th for a company meeting. This is my first night and I will see if things improve over the length of my stay. The lobby looks nice but when I got to the room floor, the carpet is dirty and looks as it has not been vacuumed for a month. My room is in a similar condition: poorly vacuumed, armchair needs a good vacuuming too. The bed sheets on the king bed have stains, the comforter is made for a queen size bed not a king size and the mattress protector only covers half of the bed (it should be put on a twin bed not a king). With a queen size comforter that fits only 2/3 of the bed, I looked for an extra blanket, but there were none to be found in the room. Good point though, I called the front desk and they brought me one within 5 min. The closet smells musty and the bathroom has mold around the tub. Finally, the rooms were booked by our com/marketing guy. He told us that we should have 2 bottles of water in the room upon our arrival - I have yet to find them in my room... I will bring this to the attention of the staff and I will see what is done.

• Stayed January 2014
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Good Morning...I am so sorry that you are not enjoying your stay. Our hallways are vacuumed twice daily and our rooms are vacuumed every day. I would like to discuss this with you at your convenience. You can reach me at my direct line at (954)334-9217. Thanks
Winter Park, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This is another example of why I avoid Marriott Hotels. (Previous examples are Key Bridge Marriott, Pittsburgh Marriott Downtown, West Philadelphia Conshohocken)

These yet to be updated workhorses offer uncomfortable beds, dated and scuffed-up furniture, leaky fixtures, mildewy carpet odors, dusty corners, torn at the edges wallpaper, and incredibly dark and dirty hallways.

Over a recent two night stay, our room, which was adjacent to the housekeeping entrance on the floor, was not serviced until I made the request at the front desk (housekeeping did not answer my call from the room). The hallway, leading out of the housekeeping entrance, past our room, maintained the same toilet paper residue trail over two days as well.

The front desk staff seemed overwhelmed and under equipped to deal with the high volume of cruise travelers and soccer tournament teams passing through during the holidays, and management was nowhere in sight.

I guess my standards for a full service Marriott need to change to avoid future disappointment.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. This past week we have a lot of groups in-house and we were fully staffed. However, everyone arrived at once and there was a bit of a wait. I will discuss how we can do better with my management team.

We are also starting some exciting renovations. Our elevators are almost finished and we will be starting some minor renovations in the rooms this year. Thanks so much and have a wonderful 2014!
pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed here one night before cruise. It was just ok. The room was dated. The bedding was scratchy. I thought that the 7th floor had a strange smell off the elevator. I probably would stay elsewhere. The property was not memorable

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry that you found a strange smell next to the elevators. However, we are going through a complete elevator renovation and that was where the odor came from. However, the job is just about finished and now we have brand new elevator cabs. We do hope that you give us another chance in 2014!

Been to Fort Lauderdale Marriott North? Share your experiences!