“nice place” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
westchester ny
“nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

A nice, clean hotel with great service. Mookie in the restaurant was great in helping our dining experience. Would stay here again. Pool area was excellent and room service came on time. Room was clean and ready on time. Staff was very helpful and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
I wanted to thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so happy to see that you found our hotel to be clean with great service. I am also happy to see that Mookie took such great care of you. We receive many comments about her and we appreciate all of them. She is the BEST!

We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The facility is great, but they neglected to have the bar/restaurant open/staffed from 2-4 on a Friday when cruise people were coming in, including a large group of people for a 'Blues Cruise.' There isn't anything near the hotel, so you are pretty much 'stuck' there, and they weren't prepared for all these vacationers. On the other hand, they did their best til their regular staff arrived, the food was fabulous, and the bed was as comfortable as it could be. No coffee was available until close to seven. There was only decaf in the room coffee service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and found that the food was "fabulous". I do appreciate the kind words.

We hope that next time you are here, you do explore the local culture.There are many restaurants and shops right across the street from the hotel and our shuttle would be more than happy to take you to other areas within a 3 mile radius for no charge. We probably should have told you this. Also, although our Starbucks is closed midday, we do offer coffee in the dining room all day long.

Thanks so much and we hope to see you next time!
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Not the most attractive hotel but good beds, clean rooms, good service and the restaurant serves an excellent breakfast. The manager of the restaurant Mooky is quite helpful and makes the meals very pleasant. She makes sure it all goes well. The prices are reasonable. The gym and pool are nice as well. All in all, a good place and an inesxpensive place although not luxurious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy to see that you found our property to have good beds, clean rooms & good service. I am also happy to see that you enjoyed our pool and large fitness room.

I also wanted to thank you for mentioning Mookie in the restaurant. She is the "best of the best" and we are very lucky to have her.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I would rate this property and service as poor except that my experiences with Jerrell and Mira make me rate it average.

There were some great things and some horrible things. You are supposed to never say never, however, I would be hardpressed to stay at this property ever again as I had to fight for my Platinum benefits. I was misrepresented to by front desk staff (D first initial of name). Somehow the GM (Stuart) got wind of the situation and phoned me to correct it. However, he didn't apologize, he just upheld their misrepresentation and stated despite the situation, he would make my request happen. WTH(eck)...I am a Platinum member...don't give me what is due me as a Platinum and try to make me feel like you're doing me a favor in the process.

First, let me say that Jerrell and Mira (I think I wrote her name down correctly) are SUPERB and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Jerrell assisted with some behind the scenes stuff like refrigerator, cot, etc. Mira assisted with a checkout issue that I inadvertently created. Both of these staff members went above and beyond the call of duty.

I stayed Dec 24-27 and am a Marriott Platinum Elite member. At this hotel, I had to fight for Platinum privileges and it was extremely offputting. I felt and still feel like I was lied to. I was put on the Concierge level and had a balcony. I asked about a suite upgrade and was told that the hotel only has 4 suites and all of them were booked. I asked about transferring to a suite on Dec 25th and was told if one was available, there was no list I could be put on, I could not be prescheduled, and I should just call the front desk in the morning to see as the guests checked out. My sister felt something was not right with what I was being told as she advised that professional ball players stay at this property and that my neice's best friend 'mother' worked at this property. I am not mentioning names in this section as I'm not trying to get anyone terminated. 'This mother' advised I could be put into 1623 and that I should go online and see if I could book a suite as there I would find one was available. Marriott.com did allow me to book a suite for Dec 25-27. When I called the front desk, I was given the same story. When I advised I'd booked the suite online to prove it was available and I wanted to be upgraded as a Platinum member. I was told Sales had all the suites on hold and they were unsure why the website allowed me to book it. I called 'this mother' back and told her and was advised she did not know why they were treating me this way as I could move into 1623. She asked me if I reminded them I was Platinum, and I assured her I did but it obviously doesn't matter. A bit later, Stuart (the GM) phoned (I had not contacted him or anyone else) to tell me what I was told by the front desk staff about the suite not being available was correct but he does see that Marriott.com allowed me to book a suite so he was transferring me to a suite the next day. He then advised I would be transferring to 1623. WTH(eck)????...not the same suite number I knew about and didn't tell you I already knew. That was adding insult to injury.

I was told at check-in that I could only eat breakfast in the Concierge lounge and except for the omelet station, there was no difference in the hotel's breakfast and the one in the Concierge lounge. I have since been told that Platinum's are allowed to eat the hotel's breakfast and there are more differences in the two breakfasts that what I was told. As a result, my sister and I ate the breakfast in the Conciierge lounge on the 25th; however, I (not my sister) chose not to eat there the balance of my stay as the selections in terms of what I like were minimal (bacon and fruit only).

I did not visit the gym/pool area. I was told by the hotel that there was a luggage scale in the fitness facility. As I was taking my luggage there, I saw Jerrell in the hallway and he offered to (and did) take my luggage and weigh it for me. Another plus for Jerrell.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tallahassee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is in fair condition, and is not far from the airport. Room was clean and staff very friendly. One great plus was the size of the in-room safe. During my stay the hotel was very busy due to the national bowl game. It is difficult to judge the staff during this type of frenzy, however, I found that the staff remained calm and friendly even when overwhelmed. The only issue is that the hotel front desk is understaffed. There was only one agent on the desk during busy times and with so many guests with so many problems (not with the hotel, but with their own issues with overbooked flights, etc.) It took a good 20 minutes to check in with only one customer ahead of me. The early morning checkout was a breeze (5am). Oveall, nice, friendly. Could have used a robe in the room....but I do appreciate the free wifi!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am happy to see that you found our hotel to be in a good location and that you found our room to be clean. I agree, the in-room safe in all of our rooms is very convenient and I am happy you used it.

We did have an extremely busy weekend with the BCS Championship and I am happy to see that you found our staff to be friendly. I can assure you that we had plenty of desk staff on. However, some of them were busy helping guests "one on one" and they may have left the area during the time when you checked-in. I am sorry for the long wait as this is not our normal operating procedures.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have stayed here many times in the past few months and have had only positive experiences. The rooms are nice and clean. The property is very accommodating with a nice pool area, gym and free fast wifi. The best part about this hotel is the staff who are extremely helpful and friendly. In particular, thank you to Jevon Daniels for being extremely courteous and professional. If you need an example of a great employee, he is it. Well done.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our clean rooms, the pool and fitness center. I am also happy to see that you found our internet to be fast. We just upgraded and we receive a lot of compliments on the ease of use and speed.

I shared your wonderful comments with Jevon. He is the "best of the best". We hope to see you again when you are in the area!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The courteous, friendly (well trained) staff made it easy to forgive any shortcomings here. The guest room looked like it was decorated from a flea market and really could use a "deep" cleaning. But, it didn't matter. I'd stay here again and would recommend the place. It's far better than the neighboring Weston and Sheraton Suites.

Room Tip: I95 is quite noisy...stay on opposite side