“Decent for the price” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles
“Decent for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Not the most attractive hotel but good beds, clean rooms, good service and the restaurant serves an excellent breakfast. The manager of the restaurant Mooky is quite helpful and makes the meals very pleasant. She makes sure it all goes well. The prices are reasonable. The gym and pool are nice as well. All in all, a good place and an inesxpensive place although not luxurious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy to see that you found our property to have good beds, clean rooms & good service. I am also happy to see that you enjoyed our pool and large fitness room.

I also wanted to thank you for mentioning Mookie in the restaurant. She is the "best of the best" and we are very lucky to have her.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I would rate this property and service as poor except that my experiences with Jerrell and Mira make me rate it average.

There were some great things and some horrible things. You are supposed to never say never, however, I would be hardpressed to stay at this property ever again as I had to fight for my Platinum benefits. I was misrepresented to by front desk staff (D first initial of name). Somehow the GM (Stuart) got wind of the situation and phoned me to correct it. However, he didn't apologize, he just upheld their misrepresentation and stated despite the situation, he would make my request happen. WTH(eck)...I am a Platinum member...don't give me what is due me as a Platinum and try to make me feel like you're doing me a favor in the process.

First, let me say that Jerrell and Mira (I think I wrote her name down correctly) are SUPERB and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Jerrell assisted with some behind the scenes stuff like refrigerator, cot, etc. Mira assisted with a checkout issue that I inadvertently created. Both of these staff members went above and beyond the call of duty.

I stayed Dec 24-27 and am a Marriott Platinum Elite member. At this hotel, I had to fight for Platinum privileges and it was extremely offputting. I felt and still feel like I was lied to. I was put on the Concierge level and had a balcony. I asked about a suite upgrade and was told that the hotel only has 4 suites and all of them were booked. I asked about transferring to a suite on Dec 25th and was told if one was available, there was no list I could be put on, I could not be prescheduled, and I should just call the front desk in the morning to see as the guests checked out. My sister felt something was not right with what I was being told as she advised that professional ball players stay at this property and that my neice's best friend 'mother' worked at this property. I am not mentioning names in this section as I'm not trying to get anyone terminated. 'This mother' advised I could be put into 1623 and that I should go online and see if I could book a suite as there I would find one was available. Marriott.com did allow me to book a suite for Dec 25-27. When I called the front desk, I was given the same story. When I advised I'd booked the suite online to prove it was available and I wanted to be upgraded as a Platinum member. I was told Sales had all the suites on hold and they were unsure why the website allowed me to book it. I called 'this mother' back and told her and was advised she did not know why they were treating me this way as I could move into 1623. She asked me if I reminded them I was Platinum, and I assured her I did but it obviously doesn't matter. A bit later, Stuart (the GM) phoned (I had not contacted him or anyone else) to tell me what I was told by the front desk staff about the suite not being available was correct but he does see that Marriott.com allowed me to book a suite so he was transferring me to a suite the next day. He then advised I would be transferring to 1623. WTH(eck)????...not the same suite number I knew about and didn't tell you I already knew. That was adding insult to injury.

I was told at check-in that I could only eat breakfast in the Concierge lounge and except for the omelet station, there was no difference in the hotel's breakfast and the one in the Concierge lounge. I have since been told that Platinum's are allowed to eat the hotel's breakfast and there are more differences in the two breakfasts that what I was told. As a result, my sister and I ate the breakfast in the Conciierge lounge on the 25th; however, I (not my sister) chose not to eat there the balance of my stay as the selections in terms of what I like were minimal (bacon and fruit only).

I did not visit the gym/pool area. I was told by the hotel that there was a luggage scale in the fitness facility. As I was taking my luggage there, I saw Jerrell in the hallway and he offered to (and did) take my luggage and weigh it for me. Another plus for Jerrell.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tallahassee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is in fair condition, and is not far from the airport. Room was clean and staff very friendly. One great plus was the size of the in-room safe. During my stay the hotel was very busy due to the national bowl game. It is difficult to judge the staff during this type of frenzy, however, I found that the staff remained calm and friendly even when overwhelmed. The only issue is that the hotel front desk is understaffed. There was only one agent on the desk during busy times and with so many guests with so many problems (not with the hotel, but with their own issues with overbooked flights, etc.) It took a good 20 minutes to check in with only one customer ahead of me. The early morning checkout was a breeze (5am). Oveall, nice, friendly. Could have used a robe in the room....but I do appreciate the free wifi!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am happy to see that you found our hotel to be in a good location and that you found our room to be clean. I agree, the in-room safe in all of our rooms is very convenient and I am happy you used it.

We did have an extremely busy weekend with the BCS Championship and I am happy to see that you found our staff to be friendly. I can assure you that we had plenty of desk staff on. However, some of them were busy helping guests "one on one" and they may have left the area during the time when you checked-in. I am sorry for the long wait as this is not our normal operating procedures.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have stayed here many times in the past few months and have had only positive experiences. The rooms are nice and clean. The property is very accommodating with a nice pool area, gym and free fast wifi. The best part about this hotel is the staff who are extremely helpful and friendly. In particular, thank you to Jevon Daniels for being extremely courteous and professional. If you need an example of a great employee, he is it. Well done.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our clean rooms, the pool and fitness center. I am also happy to see that you found our internet to be fast. We just upgraded and we receive a lot of compliments on the ease of use and speed.

I shared your wonderful comments with Jevon. He is the "best of the best". We hope to see you again when you are in the area!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The courteous, friendly (well trained) staff made it easy to forgive any shortcomings here. The guest room looked like it was decorated from a flea market and really could use a "deep" cleaning. But, it didn't matter. I'd stay here again and would recommend the place. It's far better than the neighboring Weston and Sheraton Suites.

Room Tip: I95 is quite noisy...stay on opposite side
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your nice review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed our hotel and that our staff was "well trained". I am also happy to hear that you find us to be a better choice than other hotels in our market and we hope to see you again soon!
Tallahassee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here for a last minute New Years eve get away. I knew that South Beach and other Marriott's closer to the action would be sold out or have high rates. I've stayed in this hotel before for business and knew it was only a half hour drive to all the places I wanted to go to. Price was right for a standard king room. Staff very friendly, free covered parking, lobby has very open feel to it and room was typical Marriott high standards. Second day I was there, I had a very strange water leak in the shower. I called downstairs and immediately the maintenance crew was there to look at the problem. The General Manager, Mr. Levy, offered me a new room and within an hour I was moved and settled in to the new accommodations. That kind of customer respect is why I am a loyal Marriott member. You are treated like family and this hotel made my stay quite enjoyable....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy that you found our hotel to be just what you needed. I am also happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly. I am glad I was able to help you with your small leak and get you into another room quickly. We hope to see you again soon!
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

A bit predictable so not disappointing. We stayed for two nights so we could visit Miami and Ft Lauderdale neither of which are within walking distance so prepare to drive or go by a pretty average public transport system. The hotel is clean and comfortable with the reception area being light, airy and well decorated. The staff were very helpful, polite and patient despite dealing with a couple of philistines who knew nothing of the local geography. Car parking was free but given they didn't ask to see my passport or ask the Reg. No. of my hire car, I wonder if there are not major security issues here. The room description boasts tea and coffee making facilities which are all present ...except, cups, a kettle or any other kind of water boiling facility. Ok should have complained but thought after first night it would have been noticed and rectified. It wasn't!
These are minor issues compared to the overall standard. The staff and the room comfort, especially the bed raise the bar. Don't think we'll be back in Fort Lauderdale but we will definitely use the Marriott chain again despite being Hiltonites for years.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart L, General Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. I am also thrilled that our staff treated you so well. I really feel that we have the BEST service in town and I am happy that you noticed.

We do not ask for a passport for our parking lot. However, parking is free and as you know, we do have an indoor parking garage that leads directly into our lobby.

We hope to see you again when you are in the area!

Been to Fort Lauderdale Marriott North? Share your experiences!