“Charged extra for clean sheets...Hope mine were clean when I checked in!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #51 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashua, NH
“Charged extra for clean sheets...Hope mine were clean when I checked in!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

I was shocked to see a sign hanging in the room that there was a extra fee of $12 per night if you wanted "clean" sheets....otherwise they were changed every 7 days. I don't know about you but when I stay at a Marriott and pay over $100 per night I expect clean sheets every day as part of the room charge. I'm glad I stayed only one night & didn't have to deal with this policy some moron decided to implement...I'm sure it will increase his business!!!! Also the TV was like back in the 50's It was a 19" tube style TV...needless to say I couldn't even see it from the bed. I would expect at least a 32" as the smallest in a Marriott suite....Won't stay there ever again!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
dattardi, owner and management group at TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West, responded to this review, February 20, 2009
Hello, JPNNH –

First of all, thank you very much for your feedback in your TripAdvisor review. We appreciate your visit to the hotel and for taking the time to submit a review. We take all reviews very seriously, as we look for every opportunity we can get to improve our service.

Having said that, we sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you had at our hotel, and we regret that your stay didn’t meet all your expectations. Regarding the sheet cleaning policy, as a property that is designed to be an extended-stay hotel, it is important that we meet our guests’ needs and provide them with a clean, safe, and crisp hotel room, while balancing the lean resources that an extended-stay hotel affords. From years of experience, we have found that changing sheets every seven days is the most convenient for the most number of guests, as well as the most practical for our hotel operation. However, just to clarify… all guests receive one sheet change every 7-days, it is only additional changes for which we charge. Regardless, you do raise a very valid point that, undoubtedly, represents the sentiment of many of our guests, so I assure you that we will revisit this policy and decide if we should change it or not as we move forward. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Also, we apologize that the room’s TV wasn’t large enough for your taste and didn’t allow you to see it from the bed. In fact, we understand your concern and agree with you so much that we had planned to replace our current TVs with 32” flat panel televisions earlier this year. However, given our current economy, we are feeling the tough times as much as anyone, so we decided to hold off on spending the money for a TV upgrade until next year. So, we assure you this is something that we are fully aware of and will address very soon.

And lastly, the next time you stay with us, please don’t hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable.

Again, thank you very much for your posting; we will most certainly use this feedback to improve our service, and hopefully we will have the pleasure to serve you again in the near future.

TownePlace Suites by Marriott Fort Lauderdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cocoa, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

What a miserable week. I'm just glad I didn't pay for this trip.

My company sent me to Ft. Lauderdale for a week long workshop and the workshop company booked the hotel and it was included in the workshop cost, otherwise I would have high-tailed it out of there the first night.

The hotel sits right at a busy intersection and at the end of an airport. Most hotels seem to have a problem with soundproofing and this one is no exception.

The first room I was given (room 113) had a very nasty funky odor. Sometimes your nose will get used to an odor and you won't smell it anymore. Not this place. It was constant. The room was on the side of the hotel facing one of the busy streets and the noise was also constant.

I opened the curtains at one point and discovered MOLD in-between the double panes in the window. The air conditioner was directly beneath the window and I couldn't help but wonder if it too had mold and if that was the funk I was smelling.

After the first night I asked for another room and they told me they only had one. It was room 104 and unfortunately it was on the ground floor by the pool. A main entrance door was also next to the room. There was constant traffic through that door at all hours of the day and night with people inserting their room key to unlock the door and the door slamming shut. "KACHUNK.....SLAM!!!" "KACHUNK....SLAM!!"

The first night in that room I was awakened at 2am by a hotel employee emptying the trash cans around the pool and rearranging the pool furniture. "BANG!....CRASH!...SKREEK!!" This turned out to be a regular wee hours ritual.

I ended up buying an electric fan to put on the nightstand by my head in an attempt to create "white noise" to drown out the other noise. It didn't work.

Another minus for this place is the fact it's in the middle of nowhere regarding restaurants or shopping. There is nothing within walking distance other than a 7-11. Some of my workshop classmates had flown in from other cities and didn't have cars. They were not happy.

I'll never stay at this place again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dattardi, owner and management group at TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West, responded to this review, June 29, 2009
Hello... First of all, thank you very much for your feedback and for taking the time to post a review. We honestly appreciate all feedback because we are always looking for ways to make our hotel better and improve our service.

Having said that, i sincerely apologize that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy our location, but many of our guests find it to be a great location; very convenient to the airport, I-95, and the great things to do in Ft. Lauderdale.

Regarding your room, i am so sorry that your room had a bad odor. You will be happy to know that since your stay with us (over a year ago) our hotel has gone through some significant improvements, including an enhancement to all the guest suites. So i am very certain that the issues you experiences have been resolved.

However, regardless, i apologize for your bad experience and i regret that you didn't have a great time at our hotel. I only hope that you give us a second chance and that we get the opportunity to serve you again in the near future so we can redeem ourselves.

thank you again for your feedback. we hope to see you again soon.

Best,
TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale
ft lauderdale, fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

I stayed at this hotel based on the reviews written here. According to the reviews, written both before and after my aborted stay, I was expecting a clean atmosphere for my kids and myself. I WAS WRONG!!! We arrived at about midnight, exhausted after a 12 hour drive. Yes the two staff members we met were both very nice and went out of their way to help us. But the first room we were assigned (a two bedroom suite) was horrible. The smell hit us as soon as we hit the door! It smelled like a urinal on a bad day or horse barns on a good day. Obviously this room had been used for travelers with pets and had not been sanitized properly!!!!!!!!! They were able to find us two adjoining singles (after much searching by the security guard; apparently they cannot tell if the rooms are adjoining unless they go physically to the room and look.) The smell in the second room was more like a bad restaurant...The bugs were worse!!! We were being eaten alive !!! We hit the road at 3AM in search of another hotel.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — hated the lack of cleaning
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Petersburg, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

We stayed a few days for a family getaway, and felt it was a good choice. The immediate location is rather bland, but you are in the center of Broward County and can drive anywhere. It was great to have a kitchen and not have to eat out all the time. Free internet is a plus. We found the hotel to be clean, and the staff were very friendly. For the price ($109 - studio), this is a great value for families or business travelers.

• Liked — Kitchen and location
  • Disliked — Housekeeping is scarce
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

We stayed for two weeks. The location was excellent, only a few minutes drive from the interstate, maybe 15 min. to the beach. We were on business so proximity to the beach was not important to us.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Wireless and ethernet connections available in the room. If you came without a computer, there were two available gratis for guest use in the lobby. The workout area had four machines, and they were kept in excellent condition. Freshly baked cookies in the afternoon and readily available coffee, all on the house, was a nice touch.

Grocery stores were within a few miles, including a Whole Foods. Some excellent ethnic restaurants within ten minutes drive: Thai Spice is highly recommended.

• Liked — clean, roomy, self-contained accommodations
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

Stayed at this hotel and booked last minute during the Air Show Weekend - my sister and I had a 2 bedroom suite, which was the perfect size for our 1 week+ stay. We were down there for moral support while our Dad was in the hospital, and wanted somewhere close and convenient, and clean. The front desk staff were so friendly, the housekeeping service was excellent. Always plenty of towels and toiletries. Very quiet location. We had a chance to use the no-frills pool area, which was also adequate for our stay. I would definitely stay here again, if the need arises.

• Liked — Cleanliness & Location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

We were attending a seminar at the Fort Lauderdale Convention Center and booked our rooms at this location because of cost. We were worried that we might be too far from the convention center but this was not the case. There is easy access by the freeway. The staff at the front desk were very helpful. We stated in one of the 2 bedroom suites, perfect for 4 adults who don't mind sharing a bathroom. The room was given a "light freshen" every day. You might need to understand the idea behind the suites. These are fair priced for the traveler who will stay a few days on business. So expect business services, not luxury hotel. The beds were fine. Glad we made this choice

Stayed November 2006

Been to TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West? Share your experiences!