“Handy place for family visits” 5 of 5 stars

3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #55 of 133 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersGold level
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Handy place for family visits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We spent 2 nights here while visiting family in Oakland Park. I have nothing extrordinary nor anything bad to say about the Towneplace suites. They are centrally located to this section of the Ft Lauderdale metro area and are very clean and quiet. As others have said if you are coming for a beach vacation, this is likely not your place. However if you are just passing through or have a specific reason to choose this locality and you want a comfortable room that is near to, but not right alongside the interstate, this works very well. The building and grounds which border on a small lake were well kept. The staff was very friendly and the price was very reasonable for Ssoutheast Florida. Standard continental breakfast fare is served daily and hot cookies were put out in the afternoon. We will happily return here next time we visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

First let me say that if you're going to So. Florida for a "beachy" vacation, this is not the place. But, if you have friends and family to visit from Miami up to Boca Raton, this is a centralized location, with easy access to major highways. The property sits in a wooded area along side a lovely little lake on the north side of Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport.
And yes, there's nothing right there adjacent to the property, but that's common for most TownePlace Suites, they tend to be off the beaten path. But, just a short drive north on Lyons Rd. there are several very good restaurants: Mongolian Wok (fantastic!), Laurenzo's, or take a drive east on Atlantic and enjoy a great meal at Riverside Grill (on the water) in Pompano Beach.
However, what really makes this an exceptional property, is the staff. Lisa Anderson (the manager) & her staff deliver a very nice & homey stay. They are friendly, helpful & caring. What else can one ask for?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Wellington, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed at this property a while back for a few days and decided to try it again since I had business to attend to for 3 days and needed somewhere in Broward County. There is a full kitchen available which is nice to have when you are use to staying in timeshare units as opposed to hotel units. They serve breakfast and coffee is served at all times. The staff was pleasant and everything was clean. The pool was very clean but I did not actually swim in it since I was working most of the time. There is free wifi but the signal is not so strong during peak times, but it did work well other times. The only problem I had was the iron was crappy but one call down to the office and they brought me a brand new upgraded iron that worked great. I did not have any problems getting to food or anything because I know South Florida very well but Commercial BLVD is a block over which has everything you need as well as Sawgrass Mall is not too far away. You will definitely need a car to enjoy the area because other than the pool and lake there are not many things to do at the hotel. There are several casinos (Seminole Hard Rock) close by with plenty to do as well as Ft. Lauderdale Beach is just a short drive. I will definitely come here again if I need to be in this area.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view because otherwise you will only see the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

This is a Marriott property? More like a Scary-iott!

Not sure why this hotel is located here, but it is near nothing but the ghetto and a private airport.

The hotel smells moldy. The rooms seem clean and fairly recently updated but it's still a dumpy place.

Overall, there aren't many choices in this area but why exactly would anyone need to stay in this ghetto?

• Stayed July 2012
FrankOhara, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Hello, CraigLieberman –

First and foremost, thank you very much for your candid feedback about our hotel. And although it is not the kind of feedback we hope to hear, we greatly appreciate you voicing your concerns; hearing this kind of information will ultimately make us a better hotel. So for that we thank you!

While we understand that our location is certainly not in downtown Fort Lauderdale, we would not exactly consider it in “the ghetto.” As you can see from our “Towne Map” in the lobby, there are a great deal of local attractions, businesses, and safe recreational areas, including the Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport, the William J. Kelly Park (part of Broward County Parks and Recreation), and the neighboring Fort Lauderdale Commerce Center office park.

Regardless, we are very sensitive to your concern and I assure you that our guests’ safety is one of our top priorities. It is for that reason that we have a first-rate security system on our property, including 24-hour state-of-the-art surveillance cameras, 24-hour key access, and on-site security guards.

With respect to the “moldy” smell of our hotel, this is a relatively new complaint for us, and we are working diligently to investigate it and resolve it. We have run some preliminary tests, and we are extremely confident that there is nothing harmful or dangerous in the hotel. However, again, we are fully exploring this issue and I assure you that we will do whatever it takes to address it.

Again, thank you very for your valued feedback. We appreciate your business and hope that you will give us another shot! If you have any questions or concerns about your stay or our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Respectfully,
Lisa Alexander
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

Easy to find apartment hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. Near (car distance) to many restaurants.
Staff was incredibly fantastic. We came to the hotel at 8am since we just landed from Las Vegas and just wanted to ask if we could leave the luggage. Surprisingly, the room was already ready, we got to check in and to access the apartment. We were even invited to have breakfast!
So, my overall review is two thumbs up.
There is also a pool but we haven't been able to use it.

• Stayed June 2012
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I recently stayed at the TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West for an extended work assignment. I found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and quiet. I rarely sleep well in hotels and I was concerned about a lack of sleep, especially because I had an extended stay. I slept like a rock the entire time! The bed and linens were very comfortable and I had a good nights rest every night. The towels provided were very nice as well. Big and fluffy!

I enjoyed having a full kitchen which helped keep my expenses down since I could cook my meals and pack my lunch. I did find the kitchen items in the room to be lacking. A pitcher and some type of Pyrex baking dish would have been helpful, but I made due without them. I did find it weird that I was only provided with one dishwasher tab and one small bottle of dish detergent for my entire 2 1/2 week stay. The dishwasher was noisy so I just rinsed my dinner dishes and started the dishwasher before I left for the day.

I did encounter a couple of issues with housekeeping during my stay. It seemed after the first week of my visit, housekeeping just didn't seem to care anymore and didn't fully make my bed, leaving extra pillows and the bed runner on the chair where I placed them at night. And I had no service at all one day and had to call down to the front desk for clean towels and toliet tissue. I used the guest laundry twice and found it to be affordable and relatively quick. However, the floor in the laundry room was extremely sticky due to a trash room being attached.

The staff was helpful when I had a question or a need. Breakfast left something to be desired. I found it incredibly inconvenient to be honest. There was no place to sit and eat breakfast in the lobby and the "grab and go" items were really only wrapped muffins and wrapped pastries. They did offer 6 different cereals but the bowls rarely had lids available and to walk back across the parking lot and up to my room was just a pain to have a bowl of cereal. The fresh fruit that was offered was disgusting most days, rotten bananas...gross! The coffee and fresh baked cookies were very good though.

The hotel itself is a pain to get to. It is on a corner and it is a no U turn corner so you have to go up to the next business and turn around. It is a short drive to get something to eat or someplace to shop and to be honest, I felt out of place in the areas around the hotel. I never felt unsafe at the hotel itself though. I drove 20 minutes or so to Coral Springs for dining and shopping.

If I was in the area again, I would consider staying at this location based on the comfort of the room itself.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

For a last minute trip the week of Christmas, this was a nice find. There is a full kitchen with an oven. Full (and clean) kitchens are very difficult to score without paying an arm and a leg--especially during the holidays, when rates go up.

Before booking my reservation, I saw a few comments on TripAdvisor that gave me cause to pause. Still, I decided to call the hotel personally to address what I read. Joe was very honest and professional with his answers. He did not try to sway me one way or the other. Nevertheless, before I got off the phone, I knew we would stay at this hotel. When we arrived, Ashley checked us in; she was also professional and courteous.

And while this location is not "right door next to the beach" or near a lot of stores, there is mass transit and the stores are not overly far away. Publix is within 2 miles; Walmart & others are less than 3.5 miles away. A huge area map is next to the front desk and the staff is more than willing to answer questions regarding, "where stuff is."

So I guess the big questions are: would I stay here again and will I recommend this location to others. Bottom line: if I am on a budget and want a quiet, clean and comfortable place to stay, then yes. And if I know someone else traveling to this area who needs are the same, then yes, I would advise them to stay here, too.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites Fort Lauderdale West? Share your experiences!