“Something was off with this hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #83 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Madison, Wisconsin
“Something was off with this hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

There was something off about this hotel. While some areas looked like they were somewhat recently updated, other areas were not and that was definitely noticeable.

We stayed in two suites for two nights before a cruise in January. We had a king suite and a double suite on the fourth floor. The king suite had a cement area just outside the window, but it wasn't a patio. It was more for decorative purposes. Anyway, and it was littered with old cigarette butts. It was disgusting. Wouldn't someone from the hotel go out there every month to ensure it was clean? The double suite overlooked the HVAC units, which was better than seeing cigarette butts. The bedding, furniture, and bathrooms had been updated in both rooms, and that was nice, but the walls were dingy, dirty, and gross. There were noticeable water stains on the ceiling in the king suite. A little white paint would go a long way. In the double suite, the sofa sleeper didn't have a sheet or mattress pad on it, but in the king suite there was only a sheet. Neither had additional sheets or blankets in closets that could be used, so we took the sheets/comforter from a bed in the double suite and used them on the sofa sleeper in the king suite, rather than waiting for housekeeping to bring additional blankets. The sofa sleeper was not comfortable (woke up with backaches each day), but the beds were.

Some pros for this hotel were the location -- an easy drive to/from the airport, to the beaches, close to Target and Publix -- and the fact that it was a suite hotel, which was perfect for our family of 7. The pool was also a nice area and the front desk staff and bellhops were friendly. Lots of parking and it was nice and close to a diner and restaurants, so we were able to walk to some places for breakfast and dinner.

The lobby seemed updated...and yet old at the same time. Elevators were SLOW. The pool area was nice with plenty of lounge chairs, a comfortable water temperature, nice spa, and outdoor shower, but you could hear traffic from the highway.

Wouldn't stay here again when we go back for our next cruise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mike R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I would like to thank you for your stay at our hotel and am glad to know you felt welcome by our friendly staff. We appreciate your feedback and will like to inform you we will be undergoing the process of refurbishing the hotel for this upcoming year, which will be carried out in stages to cause minimum disruption to our guests. Once this refurbishment is completed I am certain it will make a noticeable improvement to the appearance of the property. Again I thank you for your comment and apologize for the inconveniences you encountered.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Nice, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

A decent hotel , easy to find not far away from I95 , free parking , free wifi in lobby , fancy entrance and lobby
Would not rate it 3.5* because of the very small bathroom , they should have taken some space from the living room to make the bathrooms bigger
It seems as if Sheraton just changed the bedding ( which are very nice ) in the rooms and did some repainting after buying this hotel
Had better 3.5* hotels than this one , but it was a ok stay here

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online. It means a lot to me and the staff that you took the time to let us know of your pleasant stay. And how much you enjoyed the atmosphere at our hotel.
Pecatonica, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is a beautiful facility that surrounds a large covered courtyard that is an idyllic tropical garden complete with a restaurant, water features and koi streams. The glass elevators at either end provide access to the 7 floors of guest rooms.
The check in was longer than it should have been. The front desk was always understaffed as every time I walked by there was a line up. The guest services phone # was always the best way to contact personnel. They were responsive enough that way.
The room was nice enough. It was a little dated and worn but well maintained and clean. The furniture was comfortable and the bed was very soft. Kudos on that mattress and duvet. We slept well. The accommodations were spacious and homey.
The restaurant was overpriced but the food was good and service efficient. I enjoyed their Bacon and Blue Burger ($11) and their Asian Wings App ($8). The breakfast buffet was a little better than a Comfort Inn, but not by much.
The computers for guest use in the lobby were messed up until the last morning. We were then able to print out our needed documents. The wifi in the rooms was not free. It amazes me that the hotels that think they are “all that” also think that it is good business practice to charge extra for wifi. Why? That is their policy. I ding them one star for that thinking. That’s my policy.
The pool and hot tub were nice and clean. The setting and seclusion were lovely.
Even with the few deficits this was an enjoyable stay that we will probably seek to repeat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us at Sheraton Suites, we are glad to hear you found our beds comfortable and property sites such as the atrium enjoyable, we also apologize for the inconvenience with the internet, we have since then corrected the issue and have brought your concern of the front desk being understaffed to our front desk manager, and have placed more staff members there. It means a lot to me and the staff that you took the time to let us know of your pleasant stay.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at this Sheraton Suites while vacationing in the Fort Lauderdale area recently. I booked it through Expedia and was quite surprised at how nice this hotel was! The interior is a beautiful atrium with a waterfall and exotic trees and plants complete with turtles in the ponds! The hotel offered many amenities such as a restaurant on site, fitness center, hospitality shop, beautiful pool area and a bar and conference rooms.
The rooms are all suites which were very spacious. They include a sitting area with sofa and chair and flat screen TV. There is a mini fridge and sink and coffee maker with a dining area. The bedroom was very spacious with two queen size beds and another flat screen TV. The bathroom was very clean and supplied all the little amenities you need away from home.
I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The only downside was that the pool was right along a busy highway and a train route and a small airport so if you wanted relaxation- that was interupted frequently but overall this hotel is clean and friendly and very convenient to major interstates in the area and the price was right through Expedia. I would definitely stay there again if I get back to that area.

Room Tip: Ask to be booked on the side of the hotel away from the train route.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online. It means a lot to me and the staff that you took the time to let us know of your pleasant stay. And how much you enjoyed the atmosphere and our staff at the hotel.
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I like Sheratons-- but...
I booked the hotel thru Hotwire and it took them quite a while just to find the reservation. 2 rooms later and we found the king room we had reserved. Very busy with conventions and travel groups. Free Internet in lobby only. It was just a very average hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences online. We apologize for the inconvenience you had at check in but we are glad everything was resolved at the end. It means a lot to me and the staff that you took the time to let us know of your pleasant stay.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had placed a bid for a 1 night stay with Priceline for a 3 &1/2 star hotel and this is what I got. I have to say from reading all the reviews, I thought about not staying here at all, but the sensible me gave in and I went.

I traveled with my sister and her 2 small kids. Our check in was speedy, and the lady behind the counter was friendly. I had asked for a set of sheets for the sofa, which arrived very shortly after we got to our room.

The bathroom did only have 1 towel and since there were 4 of us, we had to ask for me, which again arrived quite quickly.

Some reviews mentioned how dirty the rooms were, and I would have agree. But that is not the housekeeping's fault. The carpets are old and worn out, no matter how much you would clean them, it would not do anything. They need to be replaced. The bathroom was also dingy, but again only a reno could help.

Sheets had holes in them and the pillows were lumpy and old. The train started running around 6 am and the whole room shook.

The only good thing is the Diner across the train tracks which has good breakfast food as well as dinner. We ate there twice before checking out and leaving for our cruise.

Budget a $40 cab ride if you are coming from the airport.

Room Tip: Away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mike R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, and am happy to hear we exceeded your expectations as to the service you received from our staff members. I would also like to apologize your suite was not as serene as you had expected due to the rail road next to our property. we will soon be undergoing some renovations and the items you mentioned will be improved. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you soon.
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our TA booked this hotel prior to our cruise so I did not do much research as my primary attention was focused on the cruise. I really have nothing good to say about this place; the check-in process was one of the worst I have ever experienced. Yes, we arrived early and we were told there were no clean rooms available. No problem, I understand, so we went to their bar, ordered some lunch and noticed other people are being checked in their rooms. Walked back to the front desk, inquired about the room and was once again told there were no clean rooms available. When I asked why other people are being checked in, we were told we are not on the list and they all came before us. What list? Waiting list? Apparently they forgot we already tried to check in earlier. Seriously, after we spent close to 2 hours at their bar, all other people walked in before we did? Finally, since the front desk could not come up with another excuse not to give us a room, by rolling her eyes, suddently they came up with a room and we were given access to # 410. The rooms itself is a good size (the only reason I gave 2 stars vs 1) but I could not believe how filthy the carpet was. I can’t even recall ever staying at another hotel with such filthy carpet. Our bathtub was plugged with previous guest’s hair and the furniture/walls had multiple stains. I went to see our travel companion’s room and their situation was not much different. The furniture is worn out and the rooms need some serious remodel. I would never stay at this property again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mike R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your unfortunate experience with the Sheraton Suites. I am sorry to hear about your inconveniences, and I regret that you were not satisfied with the performance our staff and facilities provided you with. I have scheduled a meeting with the Maintenance manager and our Front Desk manager to further discuss your comments.

Been to Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale? Share your experiences!