“You get what you pay for and no penny more” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #79 of 133 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
“You get what you pay for and no penny more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Well, this is my second time around in the Shearton Suites Cypress Creek in Ft. Lauderdale. Even I am a Sheraton Preferred Guest and in there system I did not get one of there preferred guest rooms... So I ended up in room 637 which is facing the South East corner of Cypress Creek Road looking towards I-95 and the Tri Rail railroad crossing... Guess what, if you need to get up early every day you won't need a wake up call since the train honks his horn every day at 6:08 AM in the morning... So that will eliminate the need for a wake up call.

The furniture in the room, especially the chairs are the most uncomfortable ones I have ever sit on and the room service was at best average. Most of the days the cleaning lady forgot one or the other thing, which means you had to rush down to the front desk to get toilet paper, coffee or even towels... So better be prepared to look around your room if something is missing.

The rest of the hotel is maintained good and enjoyable, but next time I will definitely pick another place, even if it means I have to pay for parking the car... It just did not work out this time.

Sorry Sheraton Group, if this is the best you can do then I am better off not being a preferred member and go with a different brand of hotels. Most of them offer even free WiFi for your modern toys, while the hotel here likes to charge you $9.95 a day for WiFi access...

Thank you, but no thank you...

Room Tip: Definitely take a room that faces the North West corner, then you oversee the corporate park behind...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

The hotel has a lovely courtyard with Koi pond, turtles and waterfall. This is needed to relax after being woken up early every day as the side we faced was near the railroad tracks. At 5:08am every morning the local trains began on the half hour and they blow their horn as they go through the intersection. Even my earplugs were unable to fully block the noise. We looked in to moving our room. The other side faced the commuter airport and small jets fly low at different times. The third side had complaints from another guest of the loud AC units and the 4th side had only double beds - we wanted the king. The room itself was decent. The bed was a pillow top and very comfortable. Starbucks coffee maker in the room for breakfast coffee. Fridge and microwave in the room along with a pull out couch. 2 large flat screen TVs in the room as well. The cleaning staff seemed to forget a few things here and there but the front desk staff always made up for it. Even with the trains I would stay here again. I might take my risks on the airport side next time. Pool and hot tub were also OK. The sauna was too cold for my German husband - 120F. They must allow dogs as well as we met a few 4 legged friends in the elevator.

Room Tip: Higher floor either with the double bed option or side facing airport as their is not much traffic a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was assigned this property on Hotwire and was very pleased with the bargain. The hotel's exterior looks like a kind of mish-mash (is it Spanish, Moorish, jungle retreat, what?) but the inside carries out a tropical motif what with the central atrium (think Embassy Suites) abundant in palm plantings, waterfalls, and a stream stocked with koi. The lobby looks vaguely Italianate with marble and chandeliers. There's a bit of over-the-top style schizophrenia going on here but the staff is helpful, smiling, and eager to accommodate questions and requests. I was greeted by night desk clerk Mark Robinson who told me that there were no more king bed rooms available which was no problem for me. He then asked if I had a Starwood Preferred Guest card. I said I did, hadn't used it in years, and it was probably expired or voided by that time. I didn't have the card with me, but Mark tracked me down on his computer and ended up assigning me to the Starwood Preferred Guest floor (on top on the 8th floor) and a room with a - Voila! - king-sized bed! Bless you, Mark. The room was just off the atrium in the northwest corner of the building so I was spared most of the ambient noise such architecture can promote. The living/sitting area, while large, might seem a little claustrophobic to some as you must open the curtains to get an "inside" view." It was furnished with a big sofa-bed with end table and lamp, a zebra print easy chair, a flat screen TV on a large three-shelved table, a sturdy desk-dining table with two dining chairs and one desk chair, a tasteful kitchenette with microwave, mini fridge and very small sink with decent-enough lighting. The bathroom was standard issue with plenty of linens and toiletries, a tub-shower (situated only inches from the toilet), and large mirror over the spacious sink area. The bedroom had a large dressing/make-up table with ottoman, complemented by two mirrors, plenty of storage, a second TV, and two large and very stylish end tables accented by snazzy adjustable wand lamps flanking the bed. There was a floor-to-ceiling two-panel glass sliding door which actually slides allowing you to step out on to the very narrow balcony. The square footage of the suite was very impressive. These were altogether stylish digs for someone like me at a price that couldn't be beat.

Minuses? There were several. The bed more or less enveloped you. I prefer a firmer mattress and this one seemed to have a mind of its own. Just rolling over gave the impression you were struggling and rolling uphill. The ceiling-installed air conditioner was leaking condensation which left a noticeable and soggy stain on the rug under it. I simply set it for a higher temperature which shut it off. When re-engaged, however, the dripping was compounded. I called the front desk and a maintenance man was swiftly dispatched to attend to the problem which he did quickly and expertly. A colleague who accompanied even offered to have me change rooms. The digital temperature setting seemed to have a mind of its own. I'd set it to, say, 73.5 degrees, Later, it would register as low as 60- even 40 something -- and I hadn't touched it, to be sure! There was only one phone (in the sitting room) in the whole suite next to the sofabed and easy chair which was wireless. If you're not used to that, it can be tricky to engage. This was quite inconvenient - perhaps a bow to the assumption that everyone carries cellphones these days. However, when the front desk had to reach me re a matter with my airport shuttle pick-up, having only one phone was a very inconvenient shortcoming. There was no directory of services in the suite. Where's the pool? Where's the fitness center? Where's the business center? One had to morph into a James C. Fremont or Lewis and Clark to discover these locales (although any staff member would have been pleased to send you in the right direction). This 8-story hotel has 4 hydraulic, rather than cable-powered elevators - two at the lobby and two more on the opposite corner of the atrium which can be difficult to access. No hotel this tall should have these types of elevators. They're slow and can be prone to break-downs. One of the lobby elevators would noisily shimmy and shudder when trying to level off at the eighth floor which, given it's glass-enclosed, can be a harrowing experience for some. This elevator was shut down for 3 of the days of my stay. But the biggest disappointment is the hotel restaurant. Perhaps they think they're performing a great service in encouraging guests to walk next door to the Moonlite Diner or the Longhorn Steakhouse (if they're car-less, as I was). First of all, pay NO attention to the laminated menu you may find in your room. It lists two soups (there is only one on the printed menu in the restaurant itself) and seven desserts (only three appear on the downstairs menu) and most of the prices are higher downstairs -- and unconscionably so. At my first dinner, I ordered steak frites. "We're out of that." "What's the "seasonal soup?" I asked. "We only have chicken noodle. So, I ordered a bowl of "Jewish penicillin. " What I got was an overly salty broth with some desultory pieces of carrot, celery, chicken (I think it was chicken) and the "noodles" were elbow macaroni. I opted for the chicken pannini which was very good (it should have been at $13.50!) which came with a heaping portion of good french fries. I also had a "nothing special" caprese salad. I thought I'd try the $15 breakfast buffet on a Monday morning. "We only have that on the week-ends." So I had a egg and cheese toasted croissant (pricey), excellent hash browns (a la carte at $4.50), and a large parfait with blueberries and raspberries on top, unflavored yogurt in the middle, and granola on the bottom. I had juice as well. Frankly, had there been a Burger King within walking distance, I could have gotten the same items (admittedly the hotel's hash browns are to die for) for a quarter of the price. The restaurant sits a small portion of the atrium, is accessible from only one entrance/exit (trying to get to the rear elevators requires a major hike) and is never busy -- and justifiably so.

The "Suite Shop" has snacks, sundries, and sun dresses but no newspapers or magazines. If you get to the lobby or restaurant early enough, you can find complimentary copies of USA Today (in its ugly new and harder-to-read format) and The Wall Street Journal. The staff helpfully scouted around to see if a Sunday newspaper might be found and another staffer sprang into immediate action when the business center's computer had run out of paper. I noticed all the staff were on-the-ball to problem-solve and make your stay pleasanter. When I'd not gotten vouchers for opting to NOT have maid service a couple nights of my 6-night stay, the front desk provided them instantly - no questions asked.

Room Tip: The restaurant is no great shakes. Happily this area is abounding in good ones.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Clemmons, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel is beautiful and nice however the bed was a deal breaker. I went with my husband and mother. We had two rooms.... When my husband and i crawled into bed it was the softest bed I had ever slept in. It caved in the middle so you woke up with back and neck pain. I have back and neck problems anyway and it just made it worse. I will never return. I think I could pay about 30 dollars more for a 4 star hotel instead of this hotel as a 3.5. Wish it was a better hotel.... but can't say it was a good experience :(. If you have breathing problems I prol wouldn't recommend it because it had a very moldy dusty vent in the bathroom. That cannot be good to breathe in! ESP. if you can see black chunks of whatever dirt and grime was there. And the breakfast wasn't too good either. I actually went to another "suites" hotel and the breakfast was to die for. This breakfast wasn't good at all.Hotel not for me... Do not pass go... Go somehwere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Excellent Hotel and Staff. Cental Location to Downtown and Beaches. Our stay was fatastic. This hotel provided Strabucks coffee for the coffeemaker in the suites. How cool is that? The public areas were very clean. One of the elevators was out of order which was a little inconvenient but but a short walk to the otherside of the atrium to the other elevators wasnt that bad. Some guests complained about the train that runs next to the hotel but I didnt find it that annoying. Very beautiful and peaceful dining area. Live plants ,Palm trees and Koi pond. Over all we enjoyed our stay and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a Starwwod Preferred Guest card (SPG) This will always guarantee your room will be ready when yo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Whenever I visit Florida, I always stay at Sheraton Suites, Cypress Creek. It may cost a few extra dollars than the standard hotel but it is definitely worth it. It also has most of the amenities of home. This property is ideal for family vacations, yet suitable for business trips.This all suite hotel is very spacious and can easily accommodate 4-5 people. There is one thing the management can work on, that is cleanliness of the rooms.

I find myself calling on Housekeeping to come back in and clean the bathroom in particular.

There are also a number of Shopping Malls and Restaurants in the area. Isle of Capri Casino is also a few blocks down and there is a Cinema behind the Resort.

But the best benefit of this hotel for me is those sweet sleepers. No bed like it, unless you are staying at a Westin.

Can't wait to get back in a few weeks!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Ruther Glen, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here a few nights after a camping trip in Fort Lauderdale - Markham Park to be exact. It was just perfect for our family. This ain't the newest hotel on the planet but it was well-appointed. The lobby is so much fun for the kids. We didn't eat at the restaurant as we were trying to save money. The pool was a bit chilly In November but the hot tub was nice. Our room had a microwave and minifridge as well as an eating area. We were able to eat most of our meals with stuff from Publix or I would grab something from Pollo Tropical and bring it back for us to eat at the dining room table in the room. We put our 3 small kids on the fold out couch bed and the baby in the provided crib. That way my husband and I could have some privacy in the back room (door closes). The only down side is the bathroom was a little small for giving baths to all the kids but I can't imagine it would be a problem for most people. The location is very nice. Parking was not a problem. Not far from the beach and all the other things the area has to offer. We used to live there and our former church, Calvary Chapel Ft. Lauderdale was right down the street which was nice too. I would recommend this place as an an excellent bargain for families. We used our Starwood points and stayed for free.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek Ft. Lauderdale? Share your experiences!