“(VI Guest) Could be Better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Villas by the Sea

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fort Lauderdale
Villas by the Sea
You added Villas by the Sea to your Saves list
4456 El Mar Dr., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 (Lauderdale-by-the-Sea)   |
Ranked #109 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta, Georgia
“(VI Guest) Could be Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I went there in August 2011 for my fiance birthday. It was OK! We thought it was right next to the sea but its a block away. The room was OK! It was very clean and has a little kitchen so you can cook your own food. We did that couple days. The ocean is great that was where we was if it was raining. We never went into the pool but other guest did. (We are beach people). I'm not sure why we wasn't really getting any cleaning services. when we see the house keeper she would give us towels and other items. I wouldn't go back there because it wasn't my type of hotel(its more of a motel). It was an experience!!! I feel that they should upgrade on some things and make it more fun for people.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2004

When we first got there it was raining so everything looked nasty.
Chipped paint, rough hood, mold, algae in jaccuzzi, greasy floor, stuff like that. THe next day it was sunny and I saw the place for what it was. Not that much mold, the interior of the jaccuzzi was green (not algae), not much chipped paint, so and so. I think that there are much worse places to stay. Beach right across the street, there are stores nearby, and so on. It's actually quite charming.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2004

This motel is very old, not very clean, and has loose fixtures (faucets wobble and light bulbs flicker etc.), but within walking distance of the beach, shops, and restaurant/bars. Part of the motel is across the street from the beach. It's ok for 1 or 2 nights if you don't want to spend a lot.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2003

The resort is nothing like advertised. No tropical garden, jacuzzi or beach bar. The rooms are very small not at all worth the price. The staff is not friendly, the concierge didn't work on the weekend and gave us wrong directions. I had to wash everything when I returned home because it all smelled like mold. Don't waste your money on this dump.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2003

We checked in and immediately checked out. The simpliest way to discribe this resort is disgusting. I was embarassed to have brought my steps sons to such a place. Thankfully we were able to find a room next door at High Noon. Not only was it a outstanding room but it was the same price as the shack next door. What a wonderful place and we plan to go again next year. Villas by the Sea should be condemned.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2003

We have just returned from a trip to Florida and this was without doubt, the worst accomodation we stayed in. In fact I am sure it is the worst accomodation we have ever stayed in.

First impressions of the 'resort' (I use the term very loosely) were that it needed a complete renovation and a fresh coat of paint. Our room was not clean and there were ants crawling all over the kitchen.
The kitchen cupboards and the cooker were also dirty with dirt, food crumbs etc. all over them. Later on we found dead cockroaches in the bedroom.

My wife and I planned to use the sofa bed while our kids slept in the two main beds, but when we got the sofa bed out it was unusable. The mattress had no stuffing and all the springs were coming through. They hadn't even given us bedding for it. I went to the reception and the maintenance man indicated that he wasn't surprised about this. He offerred to get another mattress from another room, but that one was just as bad. We ended up sleeping in one bed while the kids slept together in the other.

The aircons in the room were appalling. They were the really old style ones that are placed in a hole in the wall (and don't fit) and were falling apart with rust. They were so noisy it was hard to sleep and they looked liked they hadn't been serviced in many years.

The outside of the accomodation needed a lot of work to get it upto an acceptable standard. The pools were often dirty and the filters didn't seem to clean them at all. The pool steps were broken and dangerous but no attempt was made to fix them. The steps down to the beach were also broken and dangerous and you had to be very careful. When I chatted with the maintenance man about the state of the place, his excuse was that it "was built in 1938". It then occured to me that perhaps that was the last time it had been painted or worked on.

All in all this was appalling accomodation and how it ever gets the ratings it gets I do not know? Personally I would not even give it one star. I chated to several other guests who were staying there and they all had the same oppinion as me. One said to me " It isn't quite the way it apears on the internet sites, is it!."

All I can say is do yourselves a big favour and give this place a wide berth.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2003

Villas by the sea needs work our room was a little run down. one of the window AC units did not work and the toilet backed up 3 times during our stay--also 1 window would not close completely. as far as service i feel that it was about average. despite these problems we had a good time. --i must say that the next time I visit Lauderdale by the Sea my family and i will not stay there.

Been to Villas by the Sea? Share your experiences!