“Mixed emotions” 2 of 5 stars

Tripadvisor Web Special
Mission Viejo, California
“Mixed emotions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

This was our second stay at the Worthington. We stayed there in 2005 and had a great time. The service and amenities were excellent and we made great friends which prompted our return this year. While our room was clean, comfortable and spacious we didn't enjoy our stay as much as last year.

Our otherwise peaceful stay would have been enjoyable had it not been for the guests (some from the Alcazar) who were peforming lewd acts in the pool, by the pool, on the lounge chairs and in the hot tub sometimes in broad daylight. We let it go the first time we realized what was happening. We didn't want to interrupt our vacation by finger-pointing and causing friction with the other guests. The next several occasions of this behavior were not reported to the front desk since we observed two employees walk right by the guilty parties without batting an eye. We assumed that this is the type of behavior that occurs here and that we were to just ignore it. On our last night we had to ask the group of men in the courtyard to keep their voices down at 2am.

We won't be returning to the Worthington in the future. The friends we made last year at the resort won't be returning either. As a couple we'd rather spend our dollars where we can relax, make friends and enjoy the weather rather than be subjected to the bathhouse atmosphere. Our suggestion to the Worthington is to have the front desk open 24 hours and to enforce their own policies when it comes to inappropriate behavior in the common areas of the resort.

• Stayed April 2006
, owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, May 25, 2006
Thank you for your comment, I do not condone this type of behavior and will look into it. Our policy is to tell guests to take it to the room, we do not have a bathhouse atmosphere, and most of the time it is a tranquil resort.

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Oak Park, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

Recently stayed at the Worthington for about four days - I've stayed at many gay guesthouses in Palm Springs and FLA, and I would have to say I'd recommend the Worthington provided you are in the main area of the hotel and not the building that is connected next door. The pool in the building next door had grease on the tiles - gross. They are planning to replace it but why not clean it in the meantime?

The staff was very frieindly except the owner could have used a bit of imrovement as on first impression he was a bit curt. He warmed up later on. The main building is great, lush tropical surroundings, clean pool, nice hot tub etc. Our room was nice enough, great linens on the bed, very clean, but get this - dingey towels with holes that were really, really scratchy. Clearly a lot of effort is made in some areas - high-qualtiy sheets for instance, wonderful mattress and pillows, beautiful grounds, but then towels that should be used to dry a car with, not skin that's been in the sun all day. Also, no hair conditioner which was annoying. They cheap out in some of the stupidest places here.

The worst thing however is the showtunes they BLAST in the early morning hours. We were woken up by the loud music each morning - why ruin the beauty of the lush surroundings in the early morning with music? A little quiet at sometime would have been great becuase they have music going at all other times. Start the music at 10 a.m. or so - but come on - 8 a.m. is a little early for Barbra Streisand or selections from Chicago blasting you awake. Pastries for breakfast were packaged - $10 extra expense in this department would have gone a long way with guests. Coffee was good and cereal was available too and bananas.

There was a good mix of guys of all ages - young to old, hot to not. I think both couples and singles can feel comfortable here and make it what you want. It is a clothing optional resort so if that kind of thing offends you then don't stay here.

Before we checked out we went to the other guest houses in the area and did walk throughs. While some were defenitely nicer - and some not - overall we felt the Worthington was the best bet for the money and we'll return next year. Some of the other places were really small and stuffy and felt somewhat claustraphobic. They had a somewhat uptight atmosphere.

Stayed April 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

Upon my arrival at The Worthington, I found the location to be almost perfect. A short walk to the beach and a quiet neighborhood. Once I exited the Cab the first impression was quickly overshadowed by the experience of the Worthington Guest House.

I arrived at 7:00 PM on Saturday evening. The office was already closed, so there was no one to welcome me, nor show me to my room. Rather, they sent me a mailbox number and code for lockbox to get my room key.

After getting my key, I wandered into the courtyard to find a really nice pool area – lots of plants and nice lighting… I walked around the place to see if I could find my room – it took a bit, but I did finally find it. The room was ok, the beds were kind of comfy and the bathroom was nice. The room and bath had plenty of storage for 1 person, (I was in a double room).

After the trip down and a couple of hours at the pool, I really needed to get a good night’s sleep – so I went to bed. After only about an hour into the night, my AC unit began making a horrible banging noise and wasn’t cooling the room at all – thus my night’s rest wasn’t a very restful one. I think I got about 3 hours of sleep. The next day I reported the AC problem to the front desk. The response of the front desk was, “let me get my magic wand and I’ll be right over”. Say WHAT? He acting surprised to find the AC not working, but he did not resolve the problem and didn’t offer to move me to another room. So I spent 4 nights in South Florida without AC. Later I found this AC problem was reported by another guest 2 weeks earlier (I met the guest while there). You’d think 2 weeks would be enough time to repair and/or replace an AC unit.

They serve “breakfast” until 10:30. One morning around 10:45 I went to the office to get coffee. They had 3 full pots of coffee still on the burners – so I poured myself a cup. I asked the guy at the front desk if they had any cream. His reply, “breakfast was over at 10:30”. Mind you, I didn’t ask for breakfast – but cream for coffee that was already made. Not so nice, I didn’t think.

Also, anytime I ask for information on things to do around Ft Lauderdale (about 4 times) I would always get the same response – “let me check on that”. But no information was ever given to me.

Needless to say, I will not be staying at this guest house again. With the little offerings of this place, and with the scores of competition that is within a 1/2 mile, you would think they could at least offer good customer service – or at least customer service.

• Stayed April 2006
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2006

We just returned from 5 nights at the Worthington. We were originally booked for 3, but decided to stay few extra days and were delighted that we could extend our stay here in the same room. The office staff is very helpful and accommodating, especially David. We arrived after the office closed on the first night and care was taken to set up a lock box so that we could get in once we arrived.

Our room was very comfortable and well appointed. Housekeeping did an excellent job, except one day, dirty towels were removed from the room and not replaced. We didn’t realize this until well after all the staff was gone for the day. I called the next morning and received an immediate and sincere apology as well as fresh towels right away.

The landscaping and gardens at the Worthington are immaculate. It looks as if some of the palms may have been damaged by the storms last fall, but they are now filling in, everything else is lush. The pool and hot tub are spotless and kept at prefect temperatures. Music during the daytime is well selected and at an appropriate volume.

This was our first trip to Ft Lauderdale and first stay at a guest house. The crowd at the Worthington was, on average, a bit older than myself and my partner (26 and 24) but we did not feel at all unwelcome or out of place, and we were not the ones there under 30. I would certainly stay here again and definitely recommend the Worthington as a quality guest house and well worth their reasonable rates.

• Stayed February 2006
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2006

I stayed here during the middle of September 2005. I really liked this place, though I must say, I met a very sexy and lovely guy on the beach and spent my whole time in FL with him so I will always have very fond memories of everything there...My room was quite large, everything felt new, clean and well-looked after. It's obvious that the owners take a lot of pride in their establishment and re-invest in the property. I found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful. In terms of location, it's about a 10/15 minute walk from the gay beach and about a $20 taxi ride from Wilton Manors. I spent hardly any time around the pool, though I did go in there once. It was clean and not overly chlorinated. There seemed to be a friendly and respectful crowd staying when I was there. A couple of things have stuck in my mind - 1. the breakfasts could have been a little more imaginative, more fruit, better presented 2. the towels were a little frayed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2006

On two consecutive evenings on coming back to the hotel in the evening around 10:30 PM, we found unwelcome lewd acts going on in public areas. This was not the sort of hotel we expected (or was advertised) and we left first thing after it happened the second time. Once we could forgive as the misguided activities of selfish guests, but when it occurred again one night later with different people in a different place, it was time to say goodbye. This whole experience put a creepy damper on our trip. It’s just a bit sleazy for my taste.

Stayed January 2006
, owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, February 8, 2006
We do not condone such behavior, we ask everyone to take there activities to thier room. you should have called the afterhour managemnt number if you were unhappy.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2006

My partner and I just returned home after spending one week at the Worthington. The hotel is clean and tidy. The rooms were bright and airy with an accent on comfort and relaxation. Bathroom was clean and well maintained. Towels and bedding were really well laundered. The atmosphere was very pleasant and we had a great crowd of professional guys who were friendly and playful. The staff seemed to work together as a team and nothing was too much trouble for them. They were great at helping with local information that out of towners so need when away from home.

The pool was open all hours as was the hot tub. Both seemed well maintained. The yard and gardens got the sun for most of the day so sun worshippers are in their glory........or wearing nothing at all!

Free breakfast! Free cocktails too on Friday and Saturday evening certainly help to get you settle into the atmosphere.

We'd certainly go back again.

We were in FL from 2nd Jan working our way from the largest Gay resort in St Pete and the big one in Orlando before getting to the Worthington. This hotel stands way, way above the class of those other two in every aspect.

Well done team!

Garry and Zack.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

Been to The Worthington Guest House? Share your experiences!