“Wonderful resort for gay men” 5 of 5 stars

543 North Birch Road, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301   |
Special Offer
Tripadvisor Web Special
Asbury Park, New Jersey
“Wonderful resort for gay men”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Beautiful property with friendly staff and clean accommodations.
Friendly clientele of all ages.
Clothing optional, so it's not for the shy.
Decent breakfast, no room service or bar. However, the hotel hosts a free happy hour on Saturdays at 4:30 with a DJ, free drinks and light snacks,
Really a great place; we'll be back for sure. Most likely will stay in the Villa Venice next time.

Room Tip: 3 hotels make up this complex. In order of attractiveness, the Alcazar seems to be the low end, Wo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We picked the Worthington as it has joined through t the Alcazar and the other one giving a great community and a variety of pools and courtyards.
Well managed, very clean, parking, one block back from beach. No lift and was a sweat with heavy cases as we were on top floor. Wifi slow in rooms. OK near reception.
Only Worthington courtyard was sunny until around 4pm. Possibly longer in summer.
Breakfast is a very light buffet. Laundry and small gym.
Sadly there is no bar or kitchen which would improve the evening social life. Now the hotel is so large it would really benefit with having a bar.
Nearest bars in Wilton Manors which is stated everywhere as ten minutes a way, but in reality is twenty minutes in the car.
Three pools - one salt water which is nice. One is hotter. One jacuzzi is very hot, the other less hot but was higher in chlorine.
Enjoyed stay and would return!

Room Tip: Pack light if you are on a higher room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Northern Virgiinia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is our second stay here. Do think they could come up with one name for the place, now I understand there is another added in addition to the Alcazar making it three, so I really don't know where the hell I am staying half the time. We had a 3rd floor room with a full kitchen above the pool and below the office somewhere. The place was clean, comfortable and well-appointed. However when I heard the rapidly thumping techno music I asked them when it would stop. They assured me that it would be at 8PM when the office closed, first night fine, second night a problem, I came back to the room and needed some rest and it was 8:50PM and the thump...thump was still going. I called the emergency number on the office door and someone answered and said they would turn it down and they did turn it off. I am paying $200 plus a night for this nonsense. If one wants to hear this crap go to a twink bar or a bathhouse.....I am on vacation here and could use some rest when I want it. When we left I told the clerk at the desk about it and he said it did not usually happen and gave me a flash of attitude. I do not find the staff here very friendly or helpful.....HELLO it is called hospitality job......look up the meaning please. If they could find a solution to these problems this would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jim D, Owner at The Worthington Guest House, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your review, I'm sorry the name is confusing to you. We are known as The Worthington Resorts, there are 3 different buildings that were acquired at different times over the years and had their own following. Guest do have preference in which building they want to stay in. It is much easier for a guest that stayed at the Villa Venice to say I would like a room in The Villa, same for Worthington and Alcazar. There is only one office so its not really very confusing. Guests may roam throughout the complex and enjoy all three pools. I haven't heard the term "Techno Music" in quite a few years, we do play todays adult hits including Adelle, Elton John, and many more of current songs. Sorry that you could hear it at 8:40 pm from the third floor as it certainly is not played at a high volume with the exception of Saturday Happy hour when we have a live DJ. The timer may have been off for one reason or another, it should have ended at 8:00pm. I was there when you checked out and Steve did apologize to you nicely as he listened, you did ask him why he wasn't smiling, he did not want you to think it was funny, he took it seriously. My Apologies if you took him wrong.
Have a great day,
JIM
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Had a wonderful time .My partner and I had a wonder time ! Jim and his staff were awesome! Clean and safe place for gay people . near beach Nice rooms great pool area . fun people good value for your dollar . Nice breakfast . Hot tub was hot !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in Jan 2013:

The service was excellent, the team all very friendly.

Security at the complex was good - so no worries there.

The room was comfortable and clean.

The complex is unstaffed at nights, so depending where you stay it can be a bit noisy - we were staying not far from the pool/hot tub, and a group was down for the weekend, who were quite loud until 4am - that said, they left the next day, as we arrived on a Sunday, and we could all on management if it was a major problem.

Breakfast was quite reasonable - self service - bagels/cereals/toast/yogurt/juice/coffee included in the room rate.

There was also free wifi there, which was great and easy to use.

Pools and hot tubs all clean - with a choice of 3 pools.

Close to beach/restaurants and $15 taxi fare to Wilton manors for night life.

• Stayed January 2013
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place is a jem, great rooms, extremly clean, friendly staff, excellent facilities. I have stayed there 15 times in the last 10 years, each time I meet new people from all over the world, nice friendly atmosphere, gret tools 2 of them and 2 hot tubs. They really do whatever they can to make your stay a good one for you. Nice breakfast bar in the morning and the best coffee in lauderdale, yes better than even a Starbukcs

Room Tip: All rooms are great, just depends on how many in your party.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I first visited this resort in 2009 and have stayed in both the Worthington and Alcazar buildings. The rooms are impeccable, and management is attentive. The resort is mindful of both those that need attention and to those who wish to "lay low".

I was a guest from 22-Nov though 3-Dec and was there for the loud birthday boys (on the 24th). Honestly, I just moved to the Villa Venice side where it was a little more subdued. I enjoyed relaxing in the cabana area and spa, and returned back to my room on the Worthington side around midnight. By then, matters had calmed down.

As a traveler to many a gay resort, I have come to expect that a Saturday night in high season at a fully occupied resort is likely to come with a higher level of noise than is usual. On a few of my trips I was able to conduct business meetings on the telephone from my room during daytime and early evening without incident or disruption during the weekdays.

Never have I felt insecure on the property, nor, have I observed suspicious activity while on premises. If I did, I have no reservations that the matter would not be addressed promptly.

I look forward to many more visits to a business where the management and staff are invested in the premises as well as their quests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Worthington Guest House? Share your experiences!