“Paradise Found...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Washington, DC
“Paradise Found...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

Where to begin with this place? How about here: FABULOUS! Tucked away a very short walk from the beach, the Dunes Guest House was really "another world". Surrounded by palm trees, totally hidden from the outside, the setting reminded me of St. Marteen.

One of the friendliest staffs I've encountered in a long time, and the daily room cleaning, etc. at this 10 room establishment was nothing short of superb. There are rooms and "king studios". I had the studio and it was Huge (complete with full kitchen) and the off-season price was ridiculously low ($99 per night).

Great continental breakfast (al fresco, of course) each day with pastries, bagles, cereal, hard bolied eggs, milk, juice, etc. etc. etc.

The clothing optional pool and hot tub was wildly popular (no doubt!) with a very diverse group of men. I was travelling with 3 friends (from DC) and left having made a slew of new friends. Very very nice, personable crowd.

Plenty of places to eat within walking distance. Do not Miss Primanti Bros'. Pizza! Best I've Ever had.

The gay area (Wilton Manors) is a 10 minute car/cab ride and is a blast. Hands down favorite bars were Bill's Filling Station and George's Alibi. Neither are to be missed.

I'm already planning another trip and will absolutely unload my bags at the Dunes Guest House. Trust me....It's da Bomb!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Milwaukee,Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

The Dunes was an oustanding guesthouse! I was very pleased with my recent visit. The Staff was extremely nice and very attentive to details. Rooms were very spacious and super-clean and the grounds were beautiful and well-maintained. The jacuzzi and pool were heated just right and clean. The Dunes provided a great continental breakfast with lots of choices. Staff had greatt suggestions for things to do in the area and the location was perfect as I could walk to the beach.
I would highly recommend The Dunes if you are looking for a smalller resort with superb service.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

My partner and I had a fantastic vacation at The Dunes. We had originally booked our stay at The New Zealand House however they messed up our reservations. We were very disappointed since we are frequent guests at The New Zealand House and had made our reservations two months in advance. So two days before we were to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale we had no where to stay. We called several resorts after 7:00 PM and all we got was voicemail until we called The Dunes. Their phones rollover to one of the staff's personal cell phone. It was a delight to speak to Michael who made our reservation and also offered us a great rate. The Dunes has a great location just a few blocks from the beach and a very short drive to all the action in Wilton Manors. When we arrived at the property we first noticed how lush and beautiful the tropical landscape was. Kevin checked us in and gave us a upgrade to a king suite overlooking the pool and spa. The suite was very large with a kitchenette and was very clean and comfy with a retro feel. The continental breakfast was quick and convenient and was enjoyed on the patio every morning over looking the tropical gardens. Kevin took really good care of us. He offered us beach towels and chairs to take to the beach everyday and did a great job with housekeeping. We meet two of the owners of The Dunes, Greg and Danny who are really great guys from the Midwest and they really made us feel very welcome. Derrick was another staff member who was very helpful and very hot looking. The Dunes is now the only place my partner and I will stay at while visiting Ft. Lauderdale.
John & Ernie

• Liked — Friendly staff. Accomodations clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grand Rapids
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

I am sitting by the pool at The Dunes Guesthouse wondering how I missed this guesthouse as many times as I have visited Ft Lauderdale. The guesthouse where I normally stay could not accommodate me and reccomended The Dunes.
I have to say the Dunes price is $75 less per night and the room is larger with wonderful views of the gardens and pool. The management obviously takes great care in the cleanliness of the rooms. The linens had recently been replaced as they were flawless and the furnishings were newer and fit very nicely with Ft Lauderdales mid century modern architecture.
The staff was suprisingly friendly and provided a free laundry service. They even offered to give me a ride when I had some problems with my rental car.
The Dunes will be the guesthouse I call first when visiting Ft Lauderdale, why not save the money?

• Liked — Friendly service, great value
  • Disliked — The water temperature in the poolside spa was to hot for Florida
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

Me and my partner stay at the end of october, we faound that the place needs a bit of TLC, but perhaps thats part of the charm of the place.
It is a very nice and relax atmosphere, only ten rooms so not over crowded.
the guys always try to make your stance nice,and always willing to help. They even do the laundry for you for free!!!!!
I certantly will return soon

• Liked — the friendliness
  • Disliked — needs a bit of tlc
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

Checked-In by 11am- that was nice- however; absoluty no property tour. The guy handed me a key- and said the room is next door. Stayed in Room 3- next to office. Room was basic. Large armoire-contained 3 cheap plastic hangers you'd find at K-Marts. Small TV with a "Symphonic" VCR. Again; from K-Marts. Plus it didn't even work? A/C will only allow to lower to 67 degrees--thats the lowest you can set it at. C'mon; it's 90 degrees outside and all you get is 67? It's the old fashion unit that makes a loud rumbling sound constantly.Plus; it is down beneath the window- maybe a foot from the ground. There is a ceiling fan-but at high speed-is a knocking sound. The armoire is cheap" press board"..very basic, very cheap in construction. The windows have plastic blinds. Problem being; they don't darken the room at night- also just outside is a night light over the patio area- so with that bright light- they need to have a window drape the you can pull over. Same with the door. They have window panels- that allow light to pass through. Not good. The bathroom was tiny. They need more shelves for our 'stuff"-we as gay men always have lots of gels, conditionals, creams etc. You have to put it all on the toilet tank lid. There were no outlets to plug in things- you had to plug them in and leave them on the floor- ie cell phone charging; ipod charging etc. Not good at all. The gardens; seemed unmanaged and overgrown. The pool was nice- but; the pavement around needs a good washing and daily sweeping. Lots of leaves etc laying around- and also in the pool. A good power washing would help. Also; get some floats for the pool. They have nothing? The whirlpool is nice- but heater was broke- there is no sign mentioning to guest where the button is to turn it on. Found out from another guest. The staff seems not to understand what customer service means? They don't ask how everything is and make sure your ok. They leave the office- lock everything up and gone by 6pm. Where's the 'happy hour" that I've heard about on their webpage? Breakfast was basic. Nothing prepared nicely. The last day I checked out- they offered no "Thank you" for staying- just gave me the paperwork- and that was it. Whippee... I'll tell ya; for the low summer prices- they're are many other options close by. I'd never stay here again. The property is old and needs some major updates.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Dunes because it is quiet and relaxing. I went by myself in search of only relaxation and with only 10 rooms, The Dunes fit the bill. The clientele was mature, 35+, and friendly. Kevin and Derrick are pleasant staff and very helpful when asked a question. I just wish I had known there was a power switch for the jets in the hot tub earlier in my stay. Also, the only way I found out there is guest internet access was by overhearing another guest ask about it. The attendant was busy with a repairman at check-in so I imagine a complete tour was overlooked. The studio I stayed in had it's original bathroom and kitchen fixtures which I found charming and the decor is an attempt at 50's retro. It all worked for me and my only complaint is that there were no floats for the pool.

• Liked — small scale and quiet
  • Disliked — no pool floats
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Winterset Hotel? Share your experiences!