“Good if you're on a budget...” 3 of 5 stars

Tropi Rock Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   2900 Belmar Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304-4003   |
Ranked #70 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Arlington, Virginia
“Good if you're on a budget...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a budget-friendly "resort". Good location - a quick walk to the beach and a short cab ride to Las Olas Blvd, the local gathering place with shops, restaurants, bars, etc. There was a problem with my original room, and I didn't get into my new room until 4:30 :( Additionally, no one told me that there was a locked gate after 8:00pm, so we were locked out. Fortunately, another guest came along and knew the gate code.
The room was spacious, very clean, and comfortable. The staff was super friendly. The elevator is ancient and I was terrified to use it, but it worked without incident - whew!
This is NOT a fancy place, but I was staying for less than 24 hours, most of which was spent away from the motel, so I was satisfied. But as always, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
NorthBeachVillage, Owner at Tropi Rock Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
T1DMommy,
Thanks for your review. Tropirock is a great value, offering some of the lowest rates in the area. We hope that you will be able to stay for longer the next time you visit. Take care, NBV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I don't know where you other people stayed, but the Tropi Rock Resort my nephew and I stayed at this December (2013) was an absolute gem. We had already checked out a couple of hotels down the street on the beach and were appalled at the run down filthy conditions of their rooms and they wanted more than we paid at Tropi Rock. When "Gina" (I'll get back to her) gave us the keys to check out the room we took one look through the open curtains and said "we'll take it" without even going in...it was nice and spotless.
The staff was exceptional and very polite and professional. The brand new room safes were just recently installed and had a glitch. One call to the desk and we had two gentlemen show up to resolve the issue, promptly and professionally.
And "Gina". She was a multi-tasking maven who loves her job and co-workers.
Note to North Shore Village Resort: Do whatever it takes to keep promote Gina and keep her as a valuable asset.
I'm sure if I looked hard enough, we could find some stupid little thing to complain about like others did, but we were there to get a good nights sleep (very quiet hotel) and enjoy all that Fort Lauderdale has to offer.
Thank you Tropi Rock and Gina for a wonderful hotel stay on my vacation
HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Dan D. and Cal D.

Dan D and Cal D,
Happy New Year to you! We're so happy that you both found that special charm in Tropirock. It's a great value and the ocean is just minutes away! We're here whenever you need a break from those Maine winters. Gina will be waiting!
Spring HIll FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

When I arrived at the Tropi Rock I was asked to give them my credit card for a "$250.00 hold".

When I arrived home after our trip to Ft. Lauderdale and a cruise, I found that my bank account was charged for $250.00. I contacted the hotel immediately. I was told by the desk clerk that I would get an email right away regarding this charge. No email came. I contacted the hotel via email myself asking them to release the hold on my account. I got back a response that stated I violated the no smoking in room policy.

I did not smoke in the room. I smoked outside. I have a habit of putting cigarette butts in my pocket until I can dispose of them properly. I disposed of 2 butts in the hotel room trash can.
I was sent 3 pictures. One showing 2 butts in the garbage can and 2 other pictures which seem to show ashes on the floor and another cigarette butt on the floor.

First of all, I never did smoke in the room. There was no way on earth that there was any cigarette butts on the floor. There is no way that I left ashes on the floor.

They will not refund my $250.00 so I have reported it as fraud to my bank.

The hotel charged me the $250 on December 18 though we did not check out until the 19th.
Nobody at the hotel advised me of this alleged violation of the no smoking in the room policy. I did not sign any bills because I made the reservation through a website, prepaid.

This hotel is pulling a fraud.

I think it is retaliation because I told someone where the tourist information rack was. It was hidden in their back room. Little did I know the person inquiring about the rack was the serviceman for the rack there to replenish the tourist information. The hotel probably got a complaint from the company that the rack was hidden and they set me up for the smoking violation

Not to mention that there were ants in the hotel room. Not to mention the bathroom sink stopper was stuck in the closed position. Not to mention the housekeeping staff is rude.
The elevator did not work and I had to lug my suitcases up 2 flights of stairs. I would not recommend this dump to anyone,

Room Tip: There is no restaurant on site., There no room service. There are no telephones in the rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Very low standard hotel, must be people from the hotel that gives it high ratings on tripadvisor?! Dirty rooms with outdated interior. The daily cleaning is barely noticeable, we found hair in the bathroom when checking in. Ants crawling around maybe cause there are no windows... So you also get a lot of noise from outside that wakes you up at early hours (7am). The AC is loud and hasen't been cleaned for a long time. We were not taken seriously by the staff about our complains. Don't destroy your stay in the wonderful ft. Lauderdale with Tropirock!!!

• Stayed December 2013
British Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We booked 3 rooms for two nights at the Tropi Rock for family members based on reviews. Don't believe any of these reviews. I will list just a few of the reasons it is a bad place to stay. We arrived in FL after a long flight and the rooms were prepaid through expedia. We checked out after the first night it was so bad. The room was dingy and not clean at all. My wife took a shower late at night and noticed a used band aid on the shower window sill. That alone is enough to turn anyone off today with all the medical problems existing. The air conditioner was horrible, loud and hadn't been cleaned in a long time. My son woke up with RED ANTS crawling all over his face. I told the manger about this the next morning and he said ,,,, that's florida for you.
The hotel was not safe and the outside halls were filled with smoke.
When I told the manager about the problems and that we were moving, he said no problem I wil refund your money for the second night. He went online and said its been refunded. That was Dec 5th and it still isn't done. I think a lot of the people writing in are someone that the Tropi Rock knows. The couple in the room next to us was as disgusted as we were and the wife was moving out. I could write more but you get the picture. DONT stay at this dump

Room Tip: "Don't stay at this hotel period"
Malabar, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I will start by saying I was very happy to find a place last minute, and pleased with the price compared to other nearby hotels. However, you do get what you pay for. The place is quite old, and probably not somewhere I'll return. The staff was friendly, but the hotel just wasn't exactly what I expected.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I recently completed a month stay at the TropiRock Resort. I am a repeat guest and always enjoy this place. It's close to the beach, next door to a great outdoor restaurant (Bistro) and its companion hotel across the street now serves breakfast on the lawn. It's within walking distance of scores of restaurants and shops.

North Beach Village group continues renovation at this property. For this stay, I noticed the room had new dressers and night stands, new stove, and new digital room safe. While I was there, workers measured the kitchen for a complete refit. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

While the hotel is very pleasant, the staff is exemplary. They must be trained well because each employee speaks every time they pass and I was greeted with smiles every day. Patti, one of the Customer Care Managers, is special. She is very efficient and very charming. I didn't make too many demands while I was there, but every request was filled quickly and correctly.

I love the international clientele that stay here and I've made a number of friends on my visits.

For those wanting a more luxury experience, the North Beach Village group owns a number of hotels in this neighborhood that would meet every expectation.

Room Tip: The rooms by the pool on the first floor are the most convenient. The rooms with a kitchen are worth...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropi Rock Resort? Share your experiences!