“You get what you pay for....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tropic Cay Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Tropic Cay Beach Resort to your Saves list
Tropic Cay Beach Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   529 North Fort Lauderdale Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304   |
Ranked #125 of 134 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“You get what you pay for....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Myself and a friend stayed here for a week. The location was fabulous! Could not fault it. You cross a road and your on the beach!
The rooms are very old and have not been updated. There was a rusty hole where the bath plug should have been. The maid did nothing except changed the towels for 3 of the days. The microwave did not work on out first night. But in their defence they changed it the next day. The rooms are a good size though.
Our room was very close to the pool and so on a night it could be loud as the bar is open late. This didn't affect me, but it did bother my friend.
There was only one friendly guy on reception! His name was Todd and he was a very sweet man. The others were not great! But when I left and booked a taxi the guy at reception was very nice and helpful - maybe Jonathon? But not 100% sure.
We never saw this take place, but did here that some 'dodgy' stuff was going on in some of the other rooms and police were called...
In honesty if you have children or are a honeymooning couple I wouldn't stay here. If you just want a bed to crash the night for a very cheap price this place is what you want. It's better than a hostel, not as good as a hotel .
The pool was nice though and was clean!

P.s- don't ask for a wake up call as you won't get one (good job my alarm did go off!)

• Stayed August 2012

320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Me and a friend stayed here for a week and were weary of doing so because of the reviews, however we needed somewhere cheap and central to crash.

Upon check in we were greeted by Todd who was very friendly and made us feel really welcome. When went to the room it had just been freshly cleaned and there was a wax substance on the floor which nearly ended with my friend breaking her neck. The bathtub had a huge hole in it where the plug should have been. It actually looked like a spy hole and for the whole week I was on edge about showering. The water was hot (we were on the bottom floor) but it was practically a trickle. The door to the room didn't feel particularly safe especially as when it was locked you could still see bits of lights peeking in and there was a piece of paper wedged in between the door and the fram. The curtain in the room smelt and felt really moist, as of it had never been washed. We also went 3 days at the end of our trip without a maid coming and emptying our trash or replacing towels/toilet paper.

The saving grace about the hotel was the location and the friendliness of the bar staff. We were literally on the beach and just able to pop back to our room whenever we wanted. The bar was great value for money (ask about the daily offers) and all of the bartenders were very friendly. It does get really loud on an evening though so if you're a light sleeper expect to be kept awake.

It wasn't the worst place I have ever stayed but I wouldbe hard pushed to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
TropicCay, General Manager at Tropic Cay Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm so happy Todd and the Bar staff were friendly and helpful. You're right our location is amazing and we offer very competitive rates. We are currently in the process of reviewing plans and plan on giving our Hotel a major renovation to improve both the exterior and interior. I do hope you will stay with us again.
dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a run down property which migh get demolished sooner than later. The rooms are basic and the building is old and almost run down. The rooms are basic and the service is almost non existent.

However, the property is located right across the beach and is perhaps the only reason why it is popular with travellers like myself.

WIll probably do better research to find a better property in the city if I do visit Fort Lauderdale next time. This time I got fooled looking at the picture of the big multi-storey building in the picture of the hotel. Actaully the hotel is the single storey building in the foreground... Mind you!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review, we take every guest comment very seriously. We are currently in the process of reviewing plans and plan on giving our Hotel a major renovation to improve both the exterior and interior. Our Hotel is a smaller building in comparison to the large chained hotels in the area but we offer three stories that include 43 rooms. We offer the budget minded guest a standard rooms located across the beach and central to all major attractions. I do hope you stay with us again.
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

1st Night - electricity goes out n room
Moved 2 sister hotel: Tropic Cay Beach Resort
Wake 2 water & plaster leak n bedroom
Moved again – room flooded with 3 in of water!
Moved again: FILTHY!
Lesson: you get what you pay 4!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, we take every guest comment very seriously. We are currently in the process of reviewing plans and plan on giving our Hotel a major renovation to improve both the exterior and interior. We offer the budget minded guest a standard rooms located across the beach and central to all major attractions. I do hope you will stay with us again.
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife, son and I came up for a weekend away from Miami. We were looking for something relaxing, affordable and centrally located-this place was perfect. It's not the W or Ritz Carlton which are located next door at a cost 10 times as much. But the rooms are clean, the hotel staff is friendly and knowledgeable, and we were able to jump in the pool or walk to the beach whenever we felt like it. We also loved the patio bar with the best views on the beach. We walked to a few neighboring hotels for some dinners and lunches that were good but definitely happy we saved the money and stayed here. THIS PLACE HAS THE SAME VIEWS for 1/10th the cost, it doesn't make sense to stay anywhere else. I definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Rooms 100, 200 and 300 all face the ocean!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you felt that although we are not as luxurious as other properties in the area with higher rates we strive to offer budget minded guests standard rooms with all the necessary Hotel accommodations and offer a great location located across the beach and central to all major attractions. Please come back again.
Baxley, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We went expecting a cheap place to crash and got a diamond in the rough. The rooms are very large, clean and inviting. The atmosphere is one of a good time and party but we had no problem sleeping. Parking is abundant and no problem. The hotel does not have an elevator.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want valet parking or an elevator. Do stay here if you want a great valu...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review we do strive for 100% guest satisfaction. I am extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay here and hope you come back soon.
Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel now 3 x's and I loved it all 3 x's. I was not using it as a place to crash, I used it as my home away from home. This hotel APPRECIATES your vacation,time and money. Todd gladly greeted me as if he was expecting me the very 1st time I met him, I felt like I knew him forever. I could not believe how helpful he was. He helped myself and my family get around Ft Lauderdale, even finding us a return trip to the airport, told us everything that was (ex. how the bus and trolley system work, where to eat, what not to miss)important to know. Nothing was ever a bother to him. Could you imagine any other hotel or resort doing that? The hotel is directly across the street from the ocean - OCEANFRONT and only a few blocks down from the busy area but far enough away to not be bothered with a crowded beach or all of the noise. NO HIDDEN FEES EVER! When I checked out, the bill was exactly for the room. NO PARKING FEES, NO RESORT FEES, ETC. THEY ACTUALLY GAVE US 2 FREE DRINKS! People knock this hotel - the rooms have ALWAYS BEEN CLEAN - 3 TIMES IS A LOT OF RETURN TRIPS SO I AM AN EXPERT ON THIS HOTEL. Everyone who works here is a charm, Sean, etc. The pool here is spotless and like a clear glass of water. The people who knock this hotel are probably just unhappy people. I cannot figure out what they see wrong with this resort. I have stayed at the Atlantis, Wyndham, Nickelodeon, Walt Disney Resorts, En'fant, etc. THIS WAS THE BEST MONEY EVER SPENT BECAUSE YOU CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD EVERYTHING THAT YOU WANT TO DO PLUS FEEL LIKE YOU MADE NEW FRIENDS- PEOPLE WHO CARE THAT YOUR VACATION GOES RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! The smartest move you can make is try it yourself.

Room Tip: Ask for Todd or Sean and tell them you want Pam's favorite room - it is an Oceanfront Honeymoon...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on the Tropic Cay Hotel, we do strive for 100% guest satisfaction. I am extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us again for the THIRD time…

Been to Tropic Cay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!