“A Pleasant Surprise!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropic Cay Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Tropic Cay Beach Resort to your Saves list
Tropic Cay Beach Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   529 North Fort Lauderdale Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304   |
Ranked #125 of 134 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Baxley, Georgia
“A Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We went expecting a cheap place to crash and got a diamond in the rough. The rooms are very large, clean and inviting. The atmosphere is one of a good time and party but we had no problem sleeping. Parking is abundant and no problem. The hotel does not have an elevator.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want valet parking or an elevator. Do stay here if you want a great valu...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
TropicCay, General Manager at Tropic Cay Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your review we do strive for 100% guest satisfaction. I am extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay here and hope you come back soon.

306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel now 3 x's and I loved it all 3 x's. I was not using it as a place to crash, I used it as my home away from home. This hotel APPRECIATES your vacation,time and money. Todd gladly greeted me as if he was expecting me the very 1st time I met him, I felt like I knew him forever. I could not believe how helpful he was. He helped myself and my family get around Ft Lauderdale, even finding us a return trip to the airport, told us everything that was (ex. how the bus and trolley system work, where to eat, what not to miss)important to know. Nothing was ever a bother to him. Could you imagine any other hotel or resort doing that? The hotel is directly across the street from the ocean - OCEANFRONT and only a few blocks down from the busy area but far enough away to not be bothered with a crowded beach or all of the noise. NO HIDDEN FEES EVER! When I checked out, the bill was exactly for the room. NO PARKING FEES, NO RESORT FEES, ETC. THEY ACTUALLY GAVE US 2 FREE DRINKS! People knock this hotel - the rooms have ALWAYS BEEN CLEAN - 3 TIMES IS A LOT OF RETURN TRIPS SO I AM AN EXPERT ON THIS HOTEL. Everyone who works here is a charm, Sean, etc. The pool here is spotless and like a clear glass of water. The people who knock this hotel are probably just unhappy people. I cannot figure out what they see wrong with this resort. I have stayed at the Atlantis, Wyndham, Nickelodeon, Walt Disney Resorts, En'fant, etc. THIS WAS THE BEST MONEY EVER SPENT BECAUSE YOU CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD EVERYTHING THAT YOU WANT TO DO PLUS FEEL LIKE YOU MADE NEW FRIENDS- PEOPLE WHO CARE THAT YOUR VACATION GOES RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! The smartest move you can make is try it yourself.

Room Tip: Ask for Todd or Sean and tell them you want Pam's favorite room - it is an Oceanfront Honeymoon...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on the Tropic Cay Hotel, we do strive for 100% guest satisfaction. I am extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us again for the THIRD time…
King George, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Let me preface this by saying I am a middle class person, 28yrs old, and was visiting for a "bachelor party" with the idea of a "crash pad" after long nights of partying. With that being said, this place is AWFUL. The room had hoards of ants in the bathroom, in which the front desk stated "There's not too many" followed by "I'll get the spray". We dead ants arent any better than alive ants in my opinion. There was also black mold all over the ceilings. Not to mention shady people circling the hotel, dirty looking sheets.....this list just goes on. DO NOT BOOK HERE....this is a truck stop type hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review on the Tropic Cay, we are sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn’t that pleasant, as we are an older property and do have issues. We have addressed the issue of ants in the rooms, by bringing in a new pest control company. We do hope you visit with us again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

I had to buy my own wash cloths b/c they were out. My bed sheets had hair and blood stains on them. The phone didn't work. The bathroom sink was broken. To top it off,housekeeping cleaned the bathroom w/toilet tissue. The manager refused to move me or give me money back. The hotel picture is the hotel next door which is closed. They took tbe picture of the pool at an angel to get the other hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
dallas,tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Long story short, I have stayed in alot of low cost motels in my time, Rodeway inn, Econo lodge, Motel 6 etc etc. But this place is the worse of the worse !!!! Called ahead 6 hours to let them know our flight was coming in late, They said not to worry they would hold our room for us. Got there at 12:30 am and noticed a guy sleeping in the car in the front. Did not realize it was the employee. And we waited and waited before his boss who was at home sleeping got up and called him several times before he woke up. Then he told his boss he was in the restroom. RESTROOM FOR OVER 2 HOURS, Give me a break!!! So we did not get in our room until around 3am. If you want to sleep here forget about it !! LOUD MUSIC ALL NIGHT FROM THE BAR!! Complaining was a waste of time! Save your money and spend at a better place on the beach!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, Do not use waterfront next door, its the same company!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Parsippany, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Tropic Cay for our honeymoon this May. When we checked in the man at front desk definately had a chip on his shoulder. Attitude in regular conversation. Rooms were most certainly not what I had seen in pictures and expected. Paint was peeling off of walls. I noticed a few days into our stay there were little bugs crawling along the inside of our door and also along the tile in bathroom.
Plus side was they had a pool on site and bar in same area. Also, hotel is located right infront of beach entrance and within walking distance of all the area bars and restaurants. If you plan on being outside of the room most of the time, this is the perfect place. Unfortunately we had a very rainy week and had to stay inside the room longer than we would have preferred to.
All-in-all i would not refer to this as a "Beach resort", i think it falls under the category of motel. Rooms and property could go for some major renovations. I would not suggest this place for people who are looking for a getaway or going on a honeymoon like we did. More for younger adults looking to crash somewhere for the night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

dirty room, ceiling paint falling, wifi did not work, front desk staff was short and did not have time for concerns, the hotel ran out of clean towels for 2-4 hours while I was there, my room door had trouble latching/locking. one of their tricks is to charge u $10 a day for parking without telling in advance of this expence..it was a big job trying to find one of their spots to park in. im surprised anyone would give more than a 1 rating.
there was no ice bucket in room. no ice machine. OH DID I mention the police were out front friday nite for a disturbance...they have a public bar out by the pool that attracts local trouble. and while I was there someone hit someone elses car out front because the for pay parking spaces do not fit a regular size car.. BE WARNED..

Room Tip: DO NOT CHOOSE TO STAY HERE. u have been warned! Ive stayed 20-40 times in hotels in Ft Lauderdale a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tropic Cay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!