“Unsanitary--human waste flooding. Incompetent management” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #63 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Unsanitary--human waste flooding. Incompetent management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

Our bathroom was flooded with human waste--the toilet was covered (looked like it had almost erupted) the bathtub had it all over and was inches deep, and the floor was and the vanity area was flooded over an inch or two deep. My son stepped in it without shoes as light was not on--we had just arrived late from a day trip--we had been out since 8am. Called urgently for help. Had to explain this by phone to two people (Service Express and Night Manager). They did nothing quickly--they sent up no one immediately, and this was at a very quiet time for the hotel. I already had the room half packed and my son out of his filthy, waste covered socks. No where for him to wash as bathroom and vanity area covered in waste and no one came up to help. Wouldn't refund our night as we booked with a third party. Manager rude, condescending and not able to handle crisis. She acted like this was not a big deal, despite the magnitude of the issue at hand. Didn't seem to understand implication of stepping in human waste or disease this could cause. Lost five items that were either in bathroom with human waste splatters or my son had been wearing when he stepped in waste. Management refused to provide refund even though I immediately matched each item, by brand name and size and gave an internet picture/price that exactly matched each item. We will leave today without a refund for our room and without hundreds of dollars in items with no refund. I witnessed other guests have issues (room not cleaned, key not working) and received the same blank stare response. My son will need to be checked by a doctor. No concern shown for my son, no empathy for me, no refund, no service. Unreal. Can't believe this happened. My son is finally sleeping upstairs (he had to shower and couldn't sleep after this happened) and I have barely slept. I am writing this from the hotel. No letter of apology this morning, no refund, and the hall in front of our old room looks damp and stained. This is not a mix up in a room service order--this issue has the potential to spread disease and the manager honestly had no idea how to respond. We have potentially been exposed to disease and will leave without our items or a refund for them. No explanation of next steps or how we get our money back for items lost, even though I requested a full inventory, next steps and who the contact would be. No follow up.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
dinokafantaris, Manager at The Westin Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
We greatly appreciate this time to express our sincere apologies for what you experienced during this visit. I can assure you this was an unforeseen isolated issue that was addressed immediately. We take situations like this very seriously as to assure the well being of all our guests. While this unfortunate situation could not have been anticipated, we reacted with our remediation steps as expeditiously as possible and now are pleased to report that this situation has been completely resolved. We are very proud of our Westin Hotel and are hopeful that you will accept our apologies by allowing us the opportunity to welcome you back when visiting the Fort Lauderdale area.
Dino Kafantaris
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

This Westin is a beautiful Hotel/Resort....Although a little pricey We stayed here on our family vacation, I traveled with my husband, and three daughters. 14 years old, 9 years old and 10 month old baby. Before we booked this place we called several times to make sure they would provide a pack and play for our baby. They assured us all the time that they did have a pack and play. When we got there we found out two things....#1 you had to pay $25.00 per day to have your car parked.....Valet Only, and # 2 they only had a metal crib with no bumper-__- needless to say I was so upset. I had to waste 45 min. weaving three comforters in and out to try and make it safe for my baby. I do NOT recommend anyone stay there with a baby old enough to crawl or stand......,

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Service horrible. Pool side extremely small. Expect to be pushed to a corner if there is an event poolside. Don't expect to get any type of drinks until after 12 noon. And you have to go inside to get them yourselves. Rooms need updating. Nothing in area to eat at. $50 cabride into downtown if you want to eat anything good. Room service was terrible! Food not worth eating, never mind paying ridiculous prices for. Right on highway. Very misrepresented. Will never stay here again....

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
dinokafantaris, Manager at The Westin Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Greetings,

Thank you for your recent visit with us at The Westin Fort Lauderdale. It was a pleausre having you as our guest.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with the gift of feedback. We take guest comments seriously and share them with the team. Please accept our sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations. We truly are dedicated in providing the best service to all our guests.

We greatly appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back at your next escape to Fort Lauderdale.

All the best,
Dino Kafantaris - Director of Operations
South Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Eventhough the hotel is listed with 4 Stars . Our room was big, yes but very cold (not temperature wise) not cozy at all. The bed was hard as a rock...every morning I had a back ache. The bathroom very small, the sink's counter very tight, no place to put your own toiletteries. And guess what, our room wasn't changed the following day until 5:00pm and we had to wait outside. But wait a minute...there were a card inside of one of the nightstand table's drawer advising you that if you wanted your room to be changed, to put the card on top of your bed. We found that out the second morning, because I was checking what was inside the drawers, otherwise we wouldn't had found the famous card. Finally they came and change the room. Overall...ugly hotel. Even the whole building looked very cold, not a cozy hotel. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Orqui2010,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

It saddens me to hear that you did not enjoy your experience during this visit. We truly are dedicated in providing the utmost service to our guests and exceeding their expectations. Please contact us at your next escape to Fort Lauderdale so that we may assist in accomodating your needs in our renewed hotel.

Thank you once again and we look forward to personally welcoming you back!

Dino Kafantaris - Director of Operations
Danville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

I feel compelled to write this review because I stayed here several months ago and slammed the hotel on service on my last stay. Spent 8 nights here this time. Everything was really pretty great. Why did I book again when my first day wasn't good? The rates here can't be beat. I didn't need the beach location and the safety factor was a big consideration too. It's safe, convenient and the rooms are spacious. Excellent and new exercise facility and large pool. Quiet location as this hotel attracts mostly business clients and overnight cruise travelers although I didn't encounter that on this trip.
Service was 100% better than last time. Smiling faces and helpful staff. Large rooms.
Although location isn't really convient to Ft. Lauderdale action, its a great value hotel with great amenities and good quality hotel. I actually think management "heard" my issues last time!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
WestinGM, General Manager at The Westin Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Dear TravelguruDanville
Thank you very much for the kind review of our Westin Fort Lauderdale. We are sincerely grateful that you visited with us again and were delighted to see how much you enjoyed your visit with us. We certainly do listen to our customers, appreciate the feedback and put it all to good use.
Thank you again for all of the positive comments and we forward to seeing you again soon at the Westin Fort Lauderdale.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

This is the second time I have stayed at this Westin, and although, it may not be on the beach, the location, amenities, rooms, cleanliness, and staff is impeccable. I stay at almost 2 Westin hotels per week and this is by far one of the best.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
WestinGM, General Manager at The Westin Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind feedback and the positive review of our Westin Fort Lauderdale. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your visit with us and look forward to seeing you once again in the very near future.

Thank you again and safe travels.
Lehigh Acres, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I booked this hotel at a greatly reduced price, but even with a bargin, after reading reviews here I was concerned. Our experience was nothing short of superior. Our room turned out to be a corner room with a wonderful sitting area and a bank of windows. The room was modern and clean. I looked for issues expressed by others but could not find any. Plenty of towels, great water pressure, spotless bathroom, and very comfortable bed. The pool area was great, and even though there was a private party going on at the pool, the service of food and drinks to the hotel guests was outstanding. Every request was quickly acted on. Yes, there is a $10 parking charge, and yes, food is hotel expensive as I expected for a hotel of this rating. It still was a great experience and we would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
WestinGM, General Manager at The Westin Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
Thank you very much for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your visit at the Westin Fort Lauderdale and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Thank you again and safe travels.
Doug Hope

Been to The Westin Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!