“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #69 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Stockholm, Sweden
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Positives: ok price for good accommodation, nice pool area but with very loud traffic noise
Negatives: location is not great, facilities are run down and service seems to be kept to a minimum

All and all an ok stay

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Tony G, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Fredrik_V,

We value your feedback and your honest review, It is our goal to assure that you have a memorable experience with us and not just an ok stay. We want you to feel better than we you arrived.

Wishing you well,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Three nights in this hotel were restful. The location is central to many of the attractions of South Florida. The staff was accommodating and responsive. The lobby of the hotel was quite cold; I'll guess that diminishes visits to the bar and restaurant. Our room was spacious and well amended. We'll stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tony G, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear GAglobe Trekker,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Ft. Lauderdale for your lodging needs. Thank you for your kind words and sharing your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you soon

Be Well,
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Man, was this an unenjoyable hotel. As a Westin, the hotel is part of the SPG program, which guarantees Platinums a 4PM checkout on any stay that isn't at a resort or conference center. (This Westin is neither.) As such, I made my work and flight plans for that day based upon the knowledge that I would have until 4PM to check out at this hotel. I've never had a problem with this at any other SPG property since becoming a Platinum.

When I checked into the hotel, the checkin agent told me that a 4PM checkout was not available. When I (politely, of course) suggested that it was guaranteed by the SPG program, he reiterated that it was the hotel's choice. I asked to speak to a manager, who told me that the hotel wasn't allowing any late checkouts and that their policy actually superseded the SPG program's policy. At this point, I actually pulled out the Starwood book that was resting on the desk in front of us both and pointed out to her that it specifically guaranteed Platinums 4PM checkouts with no note about the hotel granting the request upon availability. Again, she refused to honor the terms of the program. I went to my room and checked with SPG and was told that I was correct, but upon SPG calling the hotel, the hotel told their own loyalty program that it was wrong and that it wouldn't honor the guaranteed checkout. The hotel then dropped off a note overnight to every room at the hotel (or at least mine) noting that there would be no late checkouts offered. SPG eventually intervened after the fact and offered me Starpoints for my troubles, but I was unable to get the late checkout I had been guaranteed.

I don't mind if a hotel can't offer an upgrade or honor a request; that will happen. But to have a hotel manager lie to me about the brand's policies and refuse to honor the Westin/SPG policies was very disappointing.

The hotel itself was also disappointing for a Westin. The property is in the middle of nowhere off of the highway. There were people milling in the lobby at 2 AM after an event with seemingly nothing going on. The rooms themselves were fine, albeit in need of a refresh. I waited 15 minutes for valet before checkin and actually had to call the front desk to ask them to send one out; when they did, they noted that there was a Platinum lot and encouraged me to park there, but the lot was cordoned off with traffic cones. When I returned, the lot wasn't cordoned off, but there were no restrictions suggesting that the lot was limited, either, so anybody could have parked there. Please don't stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Latrell1,

I would like to apologize for your less than stellar experience upon your arrival. There is no excuse for the shortcomings that you experienced while staying with us. There are no words that could take away your experience and to heal the dissapointment that you endured but I can assure you that your feedback will be used to help us create more memorable experiences, and creating a festive environment for our guest. SPG Platinum guest are entitled to a 4pm departure and I apologize for the confusion that we may have caused.

Wishing you well in 2014,
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Convenient and clean hotel with Free parking.
Check-in at 6:30 pm was smooth and pleasant. Porter was ready, willing and chatted easily as he escorted us to the room.
The room on the 10th floor was clean, comfortable with extra comfortable bedding. There was complimentary water which was very welcomed after bustling through airports etc.
The bathroom was also clean with decent amenities, with spa like fragrances. And of course the rain shower head.
Interactions with staff were pleasant enough.
We called the front desk to let them know we did not receive the bath robes - we were told - "they are only on request" . I said ok - and proceeded to request the bathrobes. Upon returning from dinner we noticed the robes were not delivered. We called again to request the robes next morning. At 11am, the time we were leaving the hotel, we mentioned to the front desk staff that up to that point the robes were not delivered and if they could please be delivered whilst we were out. Upon our return we noticed that the robes were not yet delivered, though the room had been cleaned and bed made!
One final call the following morning and the robes were finally delivered.
On another occasion, we entered the hotel and not one employee made eye contact. We were the ones to greet the front desk staff and then we were given a response.
This of course is not the normal standard of a Westin!
Everything else and everyone else we encountered were very pleasant. And we left happy.
Also, we would recommend having a car to move around. The hotel is literally just off the I95 and in close proximity to most Ft. Lauderdale shopping / attractions / resturants etc.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tony G, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear N. T,

I would like to apologize for our failed service attempt for your request, we had multiple attempts to complete the task but fell short of doing so. We harvest a culture of guest engagement, interaction, and awareness, anything less than that is not acceptable. Thank you for sharing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Be Well,
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The bed was clean, very comfortable and soft. The room size is nice good Starbucks coffee inside of your room and also at the lobby area. Good amenities and nice gym. Location of the hotel is excellent very near to the beach and great access to the highway.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Alberto M.,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Ft. Lauderdale for your lodging needs. I'm very pleased to read that you enjoyed our complimentary starbucks coffee and Westin Workout facility.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We went there due to a special deal. I was a little worried after I read some unpleasant reviews. I traveled with two young kids so cleanliness, microwave, crib (not playpan ) and fridge become my priorities. Some top hotels do not provide all these but you have to make a special request. We stayed on the sixth floor. I love the rollaway bed is also comfortable. The pool is nice. They also provide shuttle service within a short distance.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear C F,

Thank you for sharing your kind words and your experience with the world. The Westin does provide these additions i.e (microwave, cribs, rollaways) complimentary to our guest depending on availability. These additions can make a stay memorable and pleasent, The Westin strives to make every stay pleasent and your review shows our true identity.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Having stayed at over 25 hotels during 2013, I've never experienced a situation quite like this:

1) All three Elevator Inspection Certificates expired on 8/1/13; almost six months prior to my check in date of 12/28/13! Perhaps I would not have noticed if it wasn't for the abnormal behavior the elevators were exhibiting; doors opening & closing & opening again without anything being pressed; floors that were missed or stopped at for no reason; clunking sounds & noticeably rough movement. On three different occasion’s I observed lines for the elevators were 10+ minutes and everyone was expressing frustration about the delays as well as unpredictable behavior once in a car. When I spoke to the front desk about this the reaction was one of "yeah, we know" - though they certainly did NOT know about the expired inspection certificates, which is both a safety & legal issue. What's most concerning is that if management isn't on top of something so very important (as well as BASIC) - what else is being neglected? (hint= probably everything!) So clearly management lacks basic competency & doesn't take safety seriously, it can be assumed they certainly don't care about anything else. So I urge everyone - PLEASE STAY ANYWHERE ELSE.

FYI, my elevator trips were as follows:

Up to room, down to dinner, back up after dinner, down then back up to complain about the toilet (see below), back down & then up to use lobby bathroom, then down to exit the property.
There was weird behavior on every single trip; if I wasn't on the 14th floor, I would have used the stairs!

2) I was booked in the "Presidential" Suite - which there is supposedly only one unit of. I was told a Platinum guest occupied it the prior night (I'm only Gold) so they could not guarantee the standard 4pm checkout. Indeed, the room was not ready until almost 6pm. I've never once seen this happen at any other hotel, Starwood, or otherwise (I'm also a Hilton Diamond)

3) By the time I was granted access to the room, I put my bags down & decided to try the restaurant, and was pleasantly surprised both the food & service were excellent. (Which is unfortunately the only positive thing to be said about this dump) I came back to the room and went to use the bathroom, only to find the toilet was not cleaned properly. It was also fitted with a Toto Bidet Seat which I found to be repulsive; who would really use that in a hotel bathroom?
I didn't even want to see it there. The housekeeping staff took care of the cleanliness issue, and I asked the Toto seat be removed & replaced with a regular one. An engineer made three separate trips for this; a first to evaluate, a second to attempt removal, and a third to come back with an additional tool; yet in the end it was left in place. During this process I was forced to use the public bathroom in the lobby. It's ridiculous the toilet was not cleaned in the first place, and this situation is just the icing on the cake.

4) There is truly nothing "Presidential" about the room, though large, it is dated & in disrepair - certainly not worth a premium over any standard suite. So don't waste your money - but better yet; take my earlier advice and do not stay here in the first place!

The Westin brand is truly degraded by being associated with this property

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tony G, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear dpctravel,

I would like to extend a personal apology for all the short comings that you experienced with us. There are not enough apologies that could take away your experience but I will share with you that this will be at the foundation of how we grow in making every guest experience memorable and pleasurable.

Warm Regards,

Been to The Westin Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!