“Great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lago Mar Resort and Club

You added Lago Mar Resort and Club to your Saves list
Lago Mar Resort and Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1700 South Ocean Lane, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 (Central Beach)   |
Ranked #11 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
chicago, illinois
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed here after a 7 day cruise to Jamaica to unwind before going home to Chicago. Glad we did it. Staff are friendly and accomodating. We were upgraded to a suite and oceanfront and top floor so we saw the next sailing of Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas. So nice to wake up to sunrise. The room was big enough for two queen size bed and the bathroom is almost the same size ot the room. We love the balcony, just watching the ocean is good enough to unwind. The living room is huge and the big screen tv is wonderful. Instead of going out we just bought groceries, mostly tropical fruits and ate in our room with a great view!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We went for a vacation to Fort Lauderdale with our two young kids (1 and 4); Lago Mar was a wonderful place to stay. We got a two bedroom, two bathroom suite; it was perfect for us. The resort has enough to do to entertain - between two pools, the beach, and the playground, we were busy. We rented a car for a day to visit sites off the resort; the concierge was very helpful in making the reservation.

I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone with a family looking to stay on the beach.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We booked a two night stay at this resort hotel before our Caribbean cruise. It was a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport and situated among some residential apartments. We were greeted warmly and taken to our room. There was a floor fan blowing in the room when we were taken there. However the was no unusual smell. It was an old style low-rise hotel complex with beach front access. The hotel itself also featured two swimming pools. The bellman was very helpful in directing us to the local attractions and restaurants. The hotel had its own private beach front. The December Atlantic water a bit cold for me to swim in. The hotel had buffet breakfast and evening restaurant service. One of the pools featured a center island where live music was played. Wireless internet was included and worked well. The good thing about this hotel was there was no additional charge for 3rd or 4th person in the room and free parking. The only minor inconvenience was it was not close to any public transportation, so we had to call a taxi or shuttle whenever we had to go out. I would not mind staying a few more days on my next visit to Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Waynesboro, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

As classic Florida resort, a friend selected Lago Mar for a four day New Years getaway for two couples. The property was well maintained for it's age, recent updates were obvious, common areas and rooms were decently appointed. Grounds and pools were very inviting however the rules were not enforced for the single adult pool, with yelling kids overrunning the area continuously much to the dismay of many guests. The food was expensive but relatively good and as mentioned in several reviews, the front line staff was very helpful and friendly.

However, as you move up the organization, the experience with the management was much less satisfying. We were briskly checked in by the front desk manager (Cleo?) who reminded us our room was fully paid for the duration of our stay. (Booked at Hotels.com 6 months earlier - a mistake I would come to regret...)

The cordial bellman took us up to the second floor and down a long hall to the room - not the two bed floor plan we had booked but single king bed in a basic room, single sink bath, with a narrow balcony directly overlooking one story below: THE SERVICE AREA COMPLETE WITH DUMPSTERS, A/C UNITS, PARKING AND THE STAFF SMOKING TENT. Views were limited to the close by trees which at least partially hid an adjacent building.

The bellman was embarrassed, assured me they would correct the problem as I called down to Ms. Cleo. "Well... uh... it's not what you reserved? I'll call you back." Several minutes later she called to inform me they were completely sold out and nothing could be done. Period. To add to the frustration, our friends who booked an identical room and rate were upgraded to a top floor massive suite with sitting room, dining table, bar, large stone balcony overlooking the canal...

I later met with the General Manager who politely informed me that it was just the "luck of the draw", no other room would be made available even though they did not honor my reservation. (I've traveled the world for 35 years and would have checked out and demanded a refund at that point but had lost my leverage by prepaying through Hotels.com for all four nights. I won't make that mistake again.)

While the hotel postures as a "4 Diamond" property (and adds 18% service charges to every transaction) it is far from the likes of the dozens of 4 and 5 star resorts we've enjoyed. And at $400+/night the value for our experience clearly wasn't there. As the saying goes: "Get me once, shame on me..." There won't be a second try for Lago Mar!

Room Tip: Shop for rates online but call the hotel directly to book a rate. Demand a written confirmation of...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We have stayed at Lago Mar numerous times and I want folks to know that we absolutely love it. The staff is so friendly and courteous. Especially Josephine who works out at the pool area and Jaimie who works at the beach area. The rooms are spacious and always clean

Room Tip: We stayed with another couple in a two bedroom suite that had a small dining/kitchen area. Rooms ove...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I went to Lago Mar with 5 friends in my midwinter break. I am from london and have done a tremendous amount of travelling. Having been to an abundance of hotels in all areas over the world, I feel qualified to give an honest hotel appraisal.
If you want a quiet peaceful getaway this is the answer. You walk into the hotel and its grounds and it's as if you have just walked into another world . It's beautifully kept,clean and fresh. The pools and beach are private and therefore there is plenty of space to be without ever feeling that you are crowded.
To me, what was amazing was the personal service that you get her - it's one of a kind. Because it is a family run business, you feel that homely feeling that people really care and want to help you.
First of all Cleo at the front desk - the manager during the afternoon - nothing was too much for her and she right away did her best to help me out.She gave me a beautiful room and because I had been there before , offered to give me an upgrade. It was a stunning view and made it all the more enjoyable. Her positive attitude, warmth and care was instrumental in making me want to write this review.
Then Nicole, Febrezio and Michael - the people at the bar who day in and day out making drinks and taking orders - always with a smile and helpful attitude.
Michael Rodriguez - so friendly , always smiling and so capable - helping with the cases etc - nothing was too much to do.
And Josephine - always helping with the towels outside - and just to have a friendly chat.
The whole place is just an inviting warm home - that's also a beautiful hotel - A GREAT VACATION.
Rebecca u.

Room Tip: the best rooms are ocean view - worth every cent..
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Somerset, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

My husband and I made a quick trip for a winter break to Ft. Lauderdale. We chose to stay here due to family recommendations. Nice place, clean, quiet and a great beach. Restaurants were good and the bar was adequate. Just a 10 minute walk on the beach to watch cruise & ship traffic in/out was interesting to see.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building with ocean front. Pricey but nice location.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Lago Mar Resort and Club? Share your experiences!