“ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

pro: staff was unusually friendly, helpful, polite, and attentive to any questions. The best part of our stay was that after numerous delays, etc. from flights, we arrrived at hotel at 10pm when the hotel restaurant had already closed. A wonderful woman named Denise at the bar, offered to make us a late burger, and it was cooked to perfection. She was not obligated to do so, but simply was meeting the needs of two tired, hungry, travelers. (who were not served any food all day on 2 United Flights from 11am till 9 pm. Our hats off to you Denise, thank you! It was above and beyond. The room was clean, neat, but the secondary lock was broken, the deadbolt was intact.
Courtyard, and pool is beautiful, very peaceful.
Cons: train close by, not secure from some shady people wandering in and out off the street, would watch kids closely, esp at night.
Overall, we had a pleasant experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
Irmo, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Joyce B Recently took a group down for the Orange Bowl. Joel met us as we arrived and did everything possible to see that we got checked in quickly even though we arrived before check-in time. He was very helpful with places to eat and things to do. The breakfast buffet was good and reasonably priced. Everyone in our group was really pleased with our stay and we would not hesitate to stay again if we are ever in the area again. A great place to stay at a reasonable rate.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Rockledge, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This hotel was just terrible. Right when I got there I got to the check in desk and the lady in the front had an attitude. She seemed like she didn't want us there. When we got to the rooms they were okay but check your pillows for stains. Also there's supposed to be wifi in each room but there wasn't and we told them multiple times to fix it but they didn't. The next day they cleaned one of my rooms and they didn't clean the other. Which meant no new towels. The best thing of this hotel is the pool. And even that isn't that great. Other than that location, service, and housekeeping is horrible.

Stayed January 2014
Patchogue, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family stayed at the Universal Palm prior to our Caribbean cruise. The staff was great and very accommodating. Our party of 6 were given a really nice suite on the 4th floor overall looking the beautiful heated pool. The hotel has a number of very nice intimate outside sitting areas complete with flowing fountains and statues. It also has a nice workout room and the lobby is filled with large oversized comfy couches. The bar + grill had killer chicken wings and actually provided my family with a free round of drinks! We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay at the Universal Palm and would come back without a moment's hesitation - ask for Joel, the wonderful Hotel Manager, or Monica and they will make sure your stay is a pleasant one.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is the first Hotel review I have ever written. The reason is quite simple, I have really never had a reason to write a review until now. In this stay I am going to take time and give credit where credit is due.
When I first arrived at the Universal Palms I met with Joel Neidle (Asst. General Manager). He was very professional and showed me several two room suites. I chose room 332 which overlooked the pool, waterfalls, tiki huts and the parrot cages(beautiful view). Once I decided on the room for a 2 week period we went back to Joel's office to do the check in. He was extremely courteous and even gave me his cell phone number in the event he could be of assistance during my stay.
While staying there, I noticed that the maintenance crew was constantly cleaning the marble floors, pool area an always on the elevators cleaning the mirrors and wood. The maids, clean up crew and Joel all went over and above what I have normally seen at other resorts and hotels in the past.
When my 2 week stay ended I really did not want to leave however, I knew it was time so I went to Joel's office ready for check out and he asked when I would be there next and that I should call him to schedule the next stay and he would handle the pricing. Long story short, I had such a nice time and the staff was so nice I asked what is the best rate I could get to stay another 2 weeks. Well, he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse and ended up staying through New Year's.
I will definitely stay there next visit and strongly recommend you contact Joel when making your reservations.
Be careful though. I promise you that Joel and the resort will give you every reason to stay longer than planned.

Thank's to the wonderful time and my hat's off to the staff at Universal Palms.

Dan Whatley Room 332

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

the hotel is not a great place, I mean, it´s older, simple, but it´s clean and convenient, near Sawgrass Mills Mall and others. Cheaper, if you want to save for shopping. It´s just for sleep, nothing else. There is a near train crossing, and it could be noisy at 5 am...!, but not much.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Turks and Caicos
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Poor to average hotel at best. Very dated hotel that needs a major renovation. Was very disappointed to spend a Christmas vacation here and would never book this hotel again. The internet can be very deceiving as we were expecting something much nicer. This looks like an old apartment block.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Universal Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!