“HYSTERICAL!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Orlando
“HYSTERICAL!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you know me, and you go to this hotel you could only imagine the commentary. Train? Yes...every twenty minutes. Breakfast? Yes....bags of cereal placed on a table. Recently rennovated? Yes....the lobby and pool have been updated / the rooms were clearly forgotten when making that investment.
It boils down to staying in a hotel that deserves the title of a motel, and even that would be gracious.
Thankfully we landed here with fellow baseball families and we all have hystercial stories to share of this past weekend because of the hotel. There are families that paid for rooms that considered sleeping in their cars. We all agree on one on thing......we would never, ever, ever stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.....ever!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you have the time, keep going. This hotel just doesn't cut it. No hot water, sink leaked, towels were terrible, room smelled like smoke. If you are going in the summer and need air, definitely find another hotel. The a/c barely blows on high. And we checked another room and it was same. The only thing I did not see in my room were bugs although hubby did kill a roach a couple doors coming out of the a/c vent. So this is one of those "at your own risk".

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is literally next to the railroad tracks at an intersection which means the train is required to blow its horn every time one goes by which is ALL throughout the night!! I can usually sleep through anything so trust me when I say you will not be able to. It is LOUD!!! We got no sleep!

Next the rooms themselves are very outdated and in poor condition. The carpeting is filthy! This place is terrible!!! I would not recommend it to my worst enemy...ok well maybe just them!

The price seems nice because everything around here is at least $100 a night more. Well now I definitely know why! Wow, let me say again, this place is terrible!!!! Don't come here!

• Stayed February 2013
orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel from the outside isn't appealing at all. Once you step into the lobby you feel a little more comfortable with your selection. They have a decent restaurant connected to the hotel and a bar. At check in the staff seemed nice enough. The rooms are decent, although you still feel a little unsafe. The rate also seems fair when compared to surrounding area hotels. BUT how can you downplay the TRAIN!!! If you plan on getting any sleep stay AWAY! I stayed here for work and got about 3 hours of sleep my first night! The train tracks are about 300 yards from the hotel! starting around 11pm you will hear the train every 30 minutes. Im sorry to have to downplay this hotel experience because honestly without the train i might consider staying here agin, BUT i wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone simply because of the train! Its ridiculous and people should be warned of this before booking! if your thinking about staying here think again unless you don't care about sleeping while your here. And if you think you will sleep through it, GOOD LUCK! The only reason i decided to write a review on here is because of other peoples great reviews. Those reviews sway ones opinion. A hotel is a place to sleep. YOU CANNOT GET ANY SLEEP IN THIS HOTEL! Enough said.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here even after this review get a " pool view" room. You will fee...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My sister and I had the pleasure of taking our mother on her very first cruise vacation for her 70th birthday. We elected to stay at this hotel and are very glad we did. Rene was extremley helpful. We cannot say enough about her. All the staff are very friendly. The outdoor heated pool was a bonus and for all those boo hooing about the train that goes by - suck it up.....it's a train not a fleet of army tanks. Didn't bother us in the least. If we ever go back to the H-O-T we'll be looking to book with Universal Palms Hotel!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 106 ground level and about 10 feet away from the pool entrance. On our way back we wer...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Champaign
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Because this hotel was reasonably close to the Fort Lauderdale airoirt, and because its Web site was attractive, we reserved two nights there. We regretted it. It took us more than half an hour to check in due to a queue of other guests were in front of us complaining about one thing or another, mainly that their electronic keys were not working. The location is dreadful: not a single decent restaurant within walking distance. The room (we had a suite) was spacious, but rundown, the towels were old, and there was no soap in the bathroom.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Welland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We are picky travellers...
We chose this hotel based on 2 reasons:
1) Close to the airport
2) Reviews on Trip Advisor

It was a 12 min. drive from the hotel to the Airport.
Location is kind of industrial. Not hard to find with a GPS.
There is a Waffle house next door and this hotel has a Restaurant which seemed to be busy. McDonalds across the street.
The lobby is nice. There were a few computers to use for free.
Very pleasant atmosphere when you enter the building.

Check in : arrived at 2:20. Approached the front desk and was rudely & abruptly greeted with “its not time to check-in, you have to come back” .
I kindly advised I wasn’t asking to be checked in..I wanted to know what time would be best to come back as I saw there was a lobby full of people.
(I Didn’t get her name..I think she had a french accent and glasses) She seemed to be too busy to answer me so I left.
We went to grab some water & food. We returned back at 3:15. It took a slow 40 min. to check-in.
We had the pleasant experience of being checked in by Joel.
I told my husband that I think that was the nicest hotel check-in we’ve had in a long time.

We were in room 308.
The elevators are slow and old. But they do the job!
We were located pool side.
Upon entry of the room we were greeted with what smelt like a strong bleach smell the came from the bathroom. There is no exhaust fan in there. But bleach smell means its clean!!

The room was nicely decorated. The rug was pulled up and missing pieces where it meet the tiles. My son tripped over it getting up at night to use the bathroom.
The walls were a bit dirty, smudgy. I am not sure if the ceiling was leaking in the bathroom because after my husbands shower there was a bit of stucco falling on the ground. It could have just been from the wetness of the steam as there is no exhaust fan. there are just some minor cosmetic touch ups that need to be done. the baseboards by the door look like they had water damage. But theswe things didn't impact our stay at all..i'm just picky :)

Beds were clean and comfy. Husband did his typical Beg bug check. Before we step foot in a room he pulls the beds away fromthe wall and checks it good!

We didn’t feel like we were in a budget motel at all. They did a great job at sprucing up the rooms. For your money I don’t think you could find better.

The air was great…didn’t pump out too much cold too quick. Fine with me thought..it did its job cooling the room just fine.

I did feel there was a lack of blankets. There was a sheet and a thin white bedspread on each bed. I guess I could have just asked for more blankets to solve that problem.

Nice sized TV in the room. Coffee maker and Soap & Body wash in dispensers on the wall.
Wifi was sporadic and it was hard to keep a connection.

The only complaint I do have about our stay is the dreaded train that we read about. I think the last whistle blow was about 11pm.
And then there was no sleeping in around this place! 6am the train starts blowing the horn…and then I think at 7am the music starts blaring outside our door at the pool. After a busy 7 days cruise we were hoping to sleep in..no chance at that!

Check-out with Jacques was pleasant and super quick. Besides the first woman..everyone seemed very happy and pleasant! Which was great to see.

To sum it all up: We would definitely stay here again. The positive outweighs any negative.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Universal Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!