“I returned for a second stay!!” 4 of 5 stars

Universal Palms Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4900 Powerline Road, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33390   |
Ranked #58 of 134 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Newport Beach, California, United States
“I returned for a second stay!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I found this hotel to be very good value and enjoyed my first visit so much that I returned for second stay! The location was perfect for me in that I had access to the major highways and thoroughfares. There are numerous fast fast food and convenience stores in the area which is also helpful. The property meets all of my needs with lounge, restaurant, pool and tropical landscaping. The best thing about this hotel in my opinion is the staff. I have dealt with Renee, Jessica and Jacques and found them to be extremely professional, efficient, friendly, helpful and fun!! It really makes it nice when the people that you're doing business with make things easier and work hard to make stay a pleasant and memorable one!!

Steve E.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms that are on the inside for the ambiance outside.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Polish first
Willis, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The pictures of the hotel on the internet are nice to look at but the hotel is not near as nice.
The entrance and lobby are quite nice but that is where it stops.
The hotel is located at an extremely busy intersection. Access to all of the rooms are by outdoor pathways. The hotel is located withing 100 feet of some very busy train tracks. The trains run ALL night, sounding their horns. This was horrible.
The room I had was on the fifth floor on the east side of the building. Which just happens to be the side closest to the train tracks. When I checked in, ( I had never been here before.) I was not told of the trains.
By the time I got to my room and I got in the shower, I heard the first of many trains that night.
There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel, but the restaurant closes early (before 9pm) and if you just want a quick bite to eat before turning in for the night ....your choices are overpriced hotel food without much flavor or a Waffle House that happens to be located in the same parking lot.
The staff was rather snobby and they don't have the ammenities that they say they do, for example a shuttle bus. They offer to call a taxi for you though.
The vending machines take your money and this is such a common occurence that when I went to the front desk to tell them, the lady handed me a form to fill out that was already on the counter.
Breakfast.....really?
Go to Waffle House!
Unfortunately the lowest rating I can give is Terrible.

Room Tip: A tip for a good room.....stay at another hotel!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I found that the staff in general were very good. Very cordial, responsive and efficient. In particular, Jacques was able to take a bad situation and make it better, making a 3 night stay very enjoyable. We got in late on a Thursday night and although our rooms were available they were not changeable because the Hotel was full. The next morning I spoke to Jacques and he was able to make suitable changes without any of the usual hassles you might expect from a comparable hotel. This Hotel has a garden courtyard with a pool, restaurant patio and a bar which is just a Shangri-La.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel is a very nice place and the staff are courteous and helpful. Having the lounge on the property and a nice pool area was a bonus. The only draw back to this hotel is the noise between people staying in the hotel and the train it got a little noisy. The staff in the lounge were fun and very nice. Special thanks to Joxanne, Chantal, Joel and the rest of the staff for making our stay enjoyable. I will be coming back and bringing my friends. See you soon.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevator and face pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Emporia, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were moved into three different rooms during our stay. Our toilet didnt work in the first one. The second room floor had bare foot prints while being walked on while they mopped. A film build up on the floor. Third room had no toiletries. ANd they refused to upgrade us to a better room even though the place was 2/3rds empty. Housekeeping used a old wet towel and just skimmed the floors with dirty water. NO THANK YOU. Free breakfast...what a JOKE. One bag of fruit loops and one bag of corn flakes? two bagels. Just a bit of juice and water. THATS IT. It was more than likely re-used for many days. If you don't get a pass from the desk they think you will pay $6 bucks for it? We were there for over a week and never ate breakfast once. Gee wonder why.

We will never go back even if it was free. The pictures are nice....the rooms are not. No thank you. I am surprised we didnt catch something from the lack of sanitary cleaning in each room.

Do yourself a favor and keep looking. What they say they offer, they do not. By the time you show up for your trip...its to late.

Room Tip: Dont rent a room here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Akron
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Renee at the front desk was an absolute delight, she was very polite, and helpful. Every request we had she handled immediately. When I told them that the ice machine on our floor was malfunctioning, she made a phone call, and a maintenanceman was working on it within 5 minutes and it was fixed within a 1/2 hour. The hotel was clean and rooms were spacious. The hotel restaraunt's prices were a bit high, but the food was good. The grounds were beautifully landscaped and the multiple water fountains surrounding the pool were very relaxing. The only negative would be that the hotel is located right next to very busy railroad tracks but they didn't seem to lay on the horn, just gave short bursts and it never woke me up. In all I would definately stay here again, we had a great stay.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms very nice and fairly quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Pointe-Calumet, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stay at this hotel for a week, and I really enjoy my stay despite the sound of the trains passing at certain hours. The people in the front desk such as Jacques and Sandra were super friendly and courteous . Even the maintenance guy named Freddy was friendly and helpful when I had a problems with my entrance card. It was regulated in no time. I will certain go back to this hotel when I am in Florida, the price is very reasonable and very close to everything. The hotel is clean and well kept. I will certainly recommended it to my friends if they are going down and looking for a good hotel. Thank you - employees of the Universal Palms hotel, keep up the fantastic and good work.

Linda

Room Tip: Rooms are especially clean and spacious, rooms facing the pool is a beautiful sight to see in the mo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Universal Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!